Best Ink Jet paper for black shirts...if you just have to do it - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > Inkjet Heat Transfer Paper
Discuss the different inkjet transfer papers currently on the market.

Best Ink Jet paper for black shirts...if you just have to do it

Like Tree12Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old September 20th, 2016 Sep 20, 2016 8:01:24 AM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Scott
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Best Ink Jet paper for black shirts...if you just have to do it

I am not a fan of using transfers on black shirts. The only process I ever liked was DTG when I had one...well hated the equipment but loved the shirts.

But...I get enough requests from customers for black shirts....and most need them for a special event where a one time use is probable. IE..birthdays etc.

SO...what would those of you who do this use. I would like one that has the least offensive feel...granted I think they all feel like someone glued vinyl on it.

I realize most crack after some washings but I am going to explain to people these are best as special event shirts. Do not expect them to last like JPSS on white.

Last edited by shughey; September 20th, 2016 at 08:09 AM..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2016 Sep 20, 2016 8:12:29 AM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Default Re: Best Ink Jet paper for black shirts...if you just have to do it

I try and keep black shirt jobs to single color and try as hard as I can to use HTV. I realize though that for large jobs that is not the best route

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Old September 20th, 2016 Sep 20, 2016 8:41:46 AM -  
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mike
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Thanked 1,145 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shughey
I am not a fan of using transfers on black shirts. The only process I ever liked was DTG when I had one...well hated the equipment but loved the shirts.

But...I get enough requests from customers for black shirts....and most need them for a special event where a one time use is probable. IE..birthdays etc.

SO...what would those of you who do this use. I would like one that has the least offensive feel...granted I think they all feel like someone glued vinyl on it.

I realize most crack after some washings but I am going to explain to people these are best as special event shirts. Do not expect them to last like JPSS on white.
I'm currently doing extended wash testing on Jet Opaque ll.

It images very very nicely but it has heavy hand. The other opaque made by Neenah is 3G Jet Opaque. It has much better hand than Jet Opaque ll but using machine laundering I couldn't get past 15 washes before it cracked.

3G has an issue curling up from heat before pressing if your platen doesn't raise very high. 3G will also curl up and shrivel like fried bacon on the t-shirt if the dryer is too hot.

Jet Opaque ll has neither of these issues so the only unknown for me at this point is longer term washing. I'm only on the 6th wash so some more wash testing is in order.

I don't have web customers so assuming it does turn out to be durable, or durable enough, then at least my customers can decide if the hand is too extreme. I don't like it myself but while wearing these it seems OK. Just doesn't fell good with the t-shirt in hand and being "fondled".

I am finding using Gilden Ultra Cotton which is heavier (6 OZ I think) the hand is easier to cope with than a thin t-shirt. A sweatshirt would be no problem at all. But again the jury is out on long term durability, cracking, de-laminating etc.

Pics are from a cell phone so it doesn't do the image quality any justice, this paper allows a great image. Also, I don't sell these, these are my test subjects.

BTW, these were printed using a HP tabloid size pigment "All in one"printer with 11x17 scanner. That printer is also in the testing phase. Very impressed so far with it.

I will update in another thread once I get to 25 washes or if it cracks or deteriorates.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160903_134328.jpg (412.5 KB, 243 views)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mgparrish For This Useful Post:
ExcelGuy (September 29th, 2016), into the T (September 25th, 2016), NeideShirts (January 10th, 2018)

Old September 20th, 2016 Sep 20, 2016 10:10:42 AM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Scott

I'll have to order some sample packs. I only have to survive a handful of washings without cracking.

The hand is probably more of an issue. These are for kids event shirts so they have to look good and not feel like someone glued a billboard to the shirt....and not crack in the first half dozen washes.

of course it will be a compromise yet again....and I will never be a fan of dark inkjet transfers unless a miracle paper comes along.

Still considering going CMYK+W on laser but I need enough sales to justify the cost of doing THAT right otherwise I just spent a lot of money for little gains.

I think you are correct in using Gildan Heavy cotton shirts. I used them when I had DTG White on black shirts and it felt fine. But when I did it on lighter ringspun it felt horrid I thought. Since Gildans Heavy Cotton 6.1 oz shirts are some of the most affordable anyway..why not use them.

Old September 20th, 2016 Sep 20, 2016 10:49:33 AM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: John
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

If you trim the design close and use smaller designs, the hand seems somewhat acceptable to me. I have a design now, that has some lettering. I suppose I could do the lettering part separate from the graphic and use HTV, but has anyone used transfer tape with 3G Opaque? If so, which brand did you buy? It looks like Siser has one.

Old September 25th, 2016 Sep 25, 2016 8:09:53 AM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgparrish

It images very very nicely but it has heavy hand. The other opaque made by Neenah is 3G Jet Opaque. It has much better hand than Jet Opaque ll but using machine laundering I couldn't get past 15 washes before it cracked.

3G has an issue curling up from heat before pressing if your platen doesn't raise very high. 3G will also curl up and shrivel like fried bacon on the t-shirt if the dryer is too hot.

Jet Opaque ll has neither of these issues so the only unknown for me at this point is longer term washing. I'm only on the 6th wash so some more wash testing is in order.

I don't have web customers so assuming it does turn out to be durable, or durable enough, then at least my customers can decide if the hand is too extreme. I don't like it myself but while wearing these it seems OK. Just doesn't fell good with the t-shirt in hand and being "fondled".

I am finding using Gilden Ultra Cotton which is heavier (6 OZ I think) the hand is easier to cope with than a thin t-shirt. A sweatshirt would be no problem at all. But again the jury is out on long term durability, cracking, de-laminating etc.

Pics are from a cell phone so it doesn't do the image quality any justice, this paper allows a great image. Also, I don't sell these, these are my test subjects.

BTW, these were printed using a HP tabloid size pigment "All in one"printer with 11x17 scanner. That printer is also in the testing phase. Very impressed so far with it.

I will update in another thread once I get to 25 washes or if it cracks or deteriorates.

Are those jet opaque II? How it felt?
I'm looking for inkjet transfer paper for dark garment that feels like rubber.. Do you know something about it?

Old September 25th, 2016 Sep 25, 2016 8:13:45 AM -  
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogawaru
Are those jet opaque II? How it felt?
I'm looking for inkjet transfer paper for dark garment that feels like rubber.. Do you know something about it?
Jet Opaque ll has a heavy feeling. 3G has some feeling (hand) but less than Jet Opaque ll does.

Old September 25th, 2016 Sep 25, 2016 8:22:34 AM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Jet Opaque ll has a heavy feeling. 3G has some feeling (hand) but less than Jet Opaque ll does.

Still no transfer paper (dark) that feels like rubber?

Old September 25th, 2016 Sep 25, 2016 8:41:51 AM -  
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogawaru
Still no transfer paper (dark) that feels like rubber?
I have felt some screen printing inks that have a rubber feel. I've never heard of anyone desiring a "rubber feel" on a transfer before, usually we don't like any feel if possible .... so I think you are in "uncharted territory" with this concept.

Old September 25th, 2016 Sep 25, 2016 8:47:06 AM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I think rubber is good.. Just my self though LOL
I really like transfer paper concept, but still need a lot of practice.
Thank you for replied

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old September 25th, 2016 Sep 25, 2016 10:38:44 AM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:

What color is the white in the text The Man From Planet ...? it looks white but I'm assuming it's not since it's inkjet. When I googled Jet Opaque II some of the results also show what look like white in the print. thanks

Old September 25th, 2016 Sep 25, 2016 1:05:48 PM -  
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxcat
What color is the white in the text The Man From Planet ...? it looks white but I'm assuming it's not since it's inkjet. When I googled Jet Opaque II some of the results also show what look like white in the print. thanks
For opaque papers the background color of the paper is white. This is what allows the other colors to appear on a dark background. So on opaque transfer the white is as a result of absence of color where you want white.

On light color transfers the background color of the paper is clear. Then the t-shirt base color will show through the transfer. On a white t-shirt this works out really well, you have colors on a white background.

On light color t-shirts (but not white) the color showing through can be a bit of a problem, inkjet inks are not inherently opaque so you get color mixing between the shirt base color and the inks.

Also, just how "clear" the clear is will depend on the paper. All the "clear" backgrounds on the light paper will show up some on light non-white colors. White it is pretty good on papers like JPSS for example.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgparrish For This Useful Post:
Maxcat (September 25th, 2016)
Old September 25th, 2016 Sep 25, 2016 3:25:57 PM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
For opaque papers the background color of the paper is white. This is what allows the other colors to appear on a dark background. So on opaque transfer the white is as a result of absence of color where you want white.

On light color transfers the background color of the paper is clear. Then the t-shirt base color will show through the transfer. On a white t-shirt this works out really well, you have colors on a white background.

On light color t-shirts (but not white) the color showing through can be a bit of a problem, inkjet inks are not inherently opaque so you get color mixing between the shirt base color and the inks.

Also, just how "clear" the clear is will depend on the paper. All the "clear" backgrounds on the light paper will show up some on light non-white colors. White it is pretty good on papers like JPSS for example.

Thanks, not sure why that never clicked in my brain as to how that worked with paper for dark color shirts.

Old September 25th, 2016 Sep 25, 2016 3:38:10 PM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Just wanted to show what I did today just fooling around with some 3G Opaque, GCC Expert 2 with optical cutting, and Epson WF7610 using inkxpro CIS system.

I contoured and gave jog marks in AI, then exported to PNG and printed in PS giving the image a +50 in saturation with a 1.0 Gamma.

After printing and loading in the cutter I sent the contour and jog marks from AI to Greatcut 3 and let the optical cutting system do its job.

I put this on a black 50/50, and I did notice a little color bleed from the fabric to the front of the image. I read that using 100% cotton can fix this though.

The letters were done using HTV.

Lemme know what you think.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
mgparrish and moondane like this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dR03 For This Useful Post:
ExcelGuy (September 29th, 2016), into the T (September 25th, 2016)
Old September 25th, 2016 Sep 25, 2016 3:43:53 PM -  
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Brandon

Riding along, because I am interested in how this develops as well.

This is a discussion about Best Ink Jet paper for black shirts...if you just have to do it that was posted in the Inkjet Heat Transfer Paper section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in