Printing with white ink onto an inkjet heat transfer? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > Inkjet Heat Transfer Paper
Discuss the different inkjet transfer papers currently on the market.

Printing with white ink onto an inkjet heat transfer?

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By mgparrish
  • 1 Post By mgparrish

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old September 1st, 2015 Sep 1, 2015 7:26:44 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Printing with white ink onto an inkjet heat transfer?

Hello all. I'm new to this forum and forums in general so please forgive me if this has been discussed before. I've tried searching for the answer to the question I'm about to ask and have found nothing. So here goes.....

I was wondering if it is possible to print a design in color to inkjet heat transfer paper for lights then print a white layer of ink on top of that so I can press it onto a black or dark garment. I've seen diy dtg made of ordinary printers like Epson 1400 and they were able to print with white ink meant for real dtg printers. I don't want to try and make a dtg myself so I figured why not ask if anyone has tried white ink (not toner) on inkjet transfer paper meant for lights and press on black garments. Or maybe just include the white ink with the color ink for one print pass.

It works for laser dark paper with white laser toner so why not for inkjets? Any info about this would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 1st, 2015 Sep 1, 2015 8:25:10 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Thanked 2,502 Times in 2,220 Posts

Default Re: Printing with white ink onto an inkjet heat transfer?

You mean switch out one of your color cartridges in your ink jet printer and have it be white?

Old September 1st, 2015 Sep 1, 2015 9:06:09 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Thanks for your reply, splathead. I would like to know more about swapping out 2 channels of ink for white. I saw a vid where one guy did this on an Epson 1400. He said he swapped out the light cyan and light magenta. So, because I know that this can be done I'm mostly interested in (for the moment) knowing if I would be able to print the white as an under base or print normally using white and colors and be able to print like that onto a heat transfer paper meant for light color garments and successfully heat press it onto a shirt.

Old September 2nd, 2015 Sep 2, 2015 5:36:21 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Thanked 2,502 Times in 2,220 Posts

If you've seen it done, my guess is the white would have to be a separate pass since it would have to lay on top of the colored ink design you've already printed.

Unless the printer is able to pull the paper back in and print a separate pass, you couldn't use your color and white cartridges at the same time.

Old September 2nd, 2015 Sep 2, 2015 9:15:05 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

I see. Do you think it will press onto a black shirt? The vid that I saw was only the ink part on a diy dtg and he did lay down the white first. I've never seen it done for heat transfers.

Old September 2nd, 2015 Sep 2, 2015 9:46:57 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Jay
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

I Think you will have to try all DTG inks if you get that far. The regular inks are not water resistant until heat pressed, so a coat of W/B on top of a regular transfer print would probably be a blury mess. Then there is the pre-cure challenge.(probably in 2 stages) There are some places doing waterbase transfers(screened) but I here it's a lot trickier than plastisol. That's why so few companies are offering them. I'm curious to see the results, a lot of the best tricks in this industry were figured out by people who were told you can't do that, but they figured it out anyway.

Old September 2nd, 2015 Sep 2, 2015 2:39:31 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Thanks, Printor. If I do get this going I will be sure to share the process and post pics. Just don't have the money to experiment right now.

Old September 2nd, 2015 Sep 2, 2015 10:20:26 PM -   #8 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mike
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Thanked 1,145 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxnocturnal
Hello all. I'm new to this forum and forums in general so please forgive me if this has been discussed before. I've tried searching for the answer to the question I'm about to ask and have found nothing. So here goes.....

I was wondering if it is possible to print a design in color to inkjet heat transfer paper for lights then print a white layer of ink on top of that so I can press it onto a black or dark garment. I've seen diy dtg made of ordinary printers like Epson 1400 and they were able to print with white ink meant for real dtg printers. I don't want to try and make a dtg myself so I figured why not ask if anyone has tried white ink (not toner) on inkjet transfer paper meant for lights and press on black garments. Or maybe just include the white ink with the color ink for one print pass.

It works for laser dark paper with white laser toner so why not for inkjets? Any info about this would be greatly appreciated.
Even if you could could kludge white inks into your printer ..

If you used paper for "light" tshirts like JPSS you still have the clear polymer not being "clear" on anything but white, so you end up creating a opaque transfer that still has to be trimmed or else you see the carrier.

So why not just start out with real opaque paper to start with? End result would be about the same without all the kludging.

If there were weedfree papers for inkjet still around then maybe ....

Old September 2nd, 2015 Sep 2, 2015 10:40:38 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You'd need to find a paper like what they use for screen printed transfers, that will work with an inkjet. I thought I read a while back they were getting close to coming out with a decent weedfree for inkjet but I haven't heard anything lately. I know the stuff for laser is pretty limited. no gradients, just spot color.

Old September 2nd, 2015 Sep 2, 2015 11:05:24 PM -   #10 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Printor
You'd need to find a paper like what they use for screen printed transfers, that will work with an inkjet. I thought I read a while back they were getting close to coming out with a decent weedfree for inkjet but I haven't heard anything lately. I know the stuff for laser is pretty limited. no gradients, just spot color.
There used to be a a decent weed free for inkjet but they took it off the market. It could work with gradients unlike laser weed free and regular toner.

You needed a laser for the masking, but the printed image was inkjet.

Video is old but describes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRfAKGbctyo

Interesting on your point about screenprint transfers, they are inherently weed free, but of course we never call them weed free even though they are. LOL
Printor likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgparrish For This Useful Post:
Printor (September 3rd, 2015)
Old September 3rd, 2015 Sep 3, 2015 10:20:18 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

I learned something. Maybe there wasn't enough people with both printers to support the product. or those people can afford the printers that can do it all in one step.

Old September 3rd, 2015 Sep 3, 2015 4:39:49 PM -   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Thanks guys. mgparrish I don't like the hand on opaque transfers and intricate are a hassle to weed. Perhaps I'll get my cameo back and do vinyl or something...and foil for darks. That and plastisol transfers until I can afford a tabloid size Okidata with white toner.

Old September 3rd, 2015 Sep 3, 2015 5:04:16 PM -   #13 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxnocturnal
Thanks guys. mgparrish I don't like the hand on opaque transfers and intricate are a hassle to weed. Perhaps I'll get my cameo back and do vinyl or something...and foil for darks. That and plastisol transfers until I can afford a tabloid size Okidata with white toner.
Good digital opaque transfers has always been the Holy Grail for us.

Old September 3rd, 2015 Sep 3, 2015 6:46:37 PM -   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

I'm going after a more natural look of ink on fabric. DTG may also be in my future.

This is a discussion about Printing with white ink onto an inkjet heat transfer? that was posted in the Inkjet Heat Transfer Paper section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in