3G Jet Opaque - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > Inkjet Heat Transfer Paper
Discuss the different inkjet transfer papers currently on the market.

3G Jet Opaque

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mgparrish

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 21st, 2015 Jun 21, 2015 9:42:54 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Melissa
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default 3G Jet Opaque

Tonight I used opaque paper for the very first time on neoprene koozies. Because it was opaque I thought it would be ok to use on darker colors than the JPSS I normally use. A friend is going to Disney and requested I make these to keep their drinks cold. The red one was the first I did. Ok, I made a newbie mistake and forgot to remove the backing before pressing, first time around, lol -- but figured it was good bc I had forgotten to pre-press to get any moisture out anyway. I took a new printed transfer, peeled and pressed it. The opaque design once pressed, came out PINK! (??!?!?) I assumed maybe it was bc I had pre-pressed it, and did the royal blue next. The design pressed as a light blue... Next I tried the gray and the light pink -- no problem -- transfer remained white... Last, was the hot pink koozie -- which also became pink when pressed!! It appears only the lighter colors remained white!

Has anyone seen opaque paper do this before?? I thought opaque could be used on ANY COLOR and STAY WHITE??

Fortunately my friend still LOVES the koozies -- but I'm thanking God I didn't do this as a job for a customer! Please help me with your suggestions and thoughts on this...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTShirtForums1434951753.338533.jpg (201.3 KB, 50 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 21st, 2015 Jun 21, 2015 9:51:15 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Default Re: 3G Jet Opaque

A closer-up photo...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTShirtForums1434952271.451377.jpg (42.9 KB, 22 views)

Old June 21st, 2015 Jun 21, 2015 9:51:55 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

And now the hot pink koozie...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTShirtForums1434952306.958884.jpg (36.4 KB, 10 views)

Old June 22nd, 2015 Jun 22, 2015 6:16:38 AM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mike
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Thanked 1,145 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicEndeavour
Tonight I used opaque paper for the very first time on neoprene koozies. Because it was opaque I thought it would be ok to use on darker colors than the JPSS I normally use. A friend is going to Disney and requested I make these to keep their drinks cold. The red one was the first I did. Ok, I made a newbie mistake and forgot to remove the backing before pressing, first time around, lol -- but figured it was good bc I had forgotten to pre-press to get any moisture out anyway. I took a new printed transfer, peeled and pressed it. The opaque design once pressed, came out PINK! (??!?!?) I assumed maybe it was bc I had pre-pressed it, and did the royal blue next. The design pressed as a light blue... Next I tried the gray and the light pink -- no problem -- transfer remained white... Last, was the hot pink koozie -- which also became pink when pressed!! It appears only the lighter colors remained white!

Has anyone seen opaque paper do this before?? I thought opaque could be used on ANY COLOR and STAY WHITE??

Fortunately my friend still LOVES the koozies -- but I'm thanking God I didn't do this as a job for a customer! Please help me with your suggestions and thoughts on this...
The dye on the neoprene is actually disperse dye ... in other words it is sublimation dye. Neoprene is a sublimatable material.

Opaque transfers typically will pick up the dye migration and that is the reason most manufacturers recommend not using them on 50/50 or 100% poly dark garments, and suggest to use 100% cotton material for those type transfers.

50/50 garments also have disperse dye from the factory color, whereas 100% cotton colors are organic dyes and not "disperse".

Having said all that ... some opaques papers may have less of an issue with this, but I doubt it would cure it 100%.

But why not just sublimate blank white ones like the pros do?

Beverage Insulators for Sublimation Imprinting - DyeTrans.com

Old June 22nd, 2015 Jun 22, 2015 6:55:46 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Thanks for the education! All my reading in T-shirt forums, and I've never read that before! I actually did purchase the white ones as well, to put photos and such with JPSS, but thought I could use the darker colored koozies with the opaque... Thanks so much for the information! I'll have to look at vinyl and/or plastisol...

Old June 22nd, 2015 Jun 22, 2015 7:00:56 AM -   #6 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Thanks for the education! All my reading in T-shirt forums, and I've never read that before! I actually did purchase the white ones as well, to put photos and such with JPSS, but thought I could use the darker colored koozies with the opaque... Thanks so much for the information! I'll have to look at vinyl and/or plastisol...
You'll find some discussion of these a bit in the sublimation section of the forum here. Good luck.

Old June 22nd, 2015 Jun 22, 2015 9:17:16 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Thanks mgparish! I don't normally read too much of the sublimation section, but I definitely will! I have thought of doing sublimation for a while, but I don't really have enough work to justify the expensive inks. Once I have the right opportunity to grow, then I'm sure I'll jump on it, LOL. I love that you can do dog tags, bowls, and other hard substrates in addition to garments. I just don't know a lot of people that wear 100% polyester, so I've stayed with the JPSS for the time being...

Old June 22nd, 2015 Jun 22, 2015 9:19:54 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

One more question; would I have the same issue pressing a plastisol transfer on to a neoprene koozie? Or should I try to buy a better material koozie sold (scuba foam?) that the ink wouldn't do the same thing?

Old June 22nd, 2015 Jun 22, 2015 9:25:48 AM -   #9 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Thanks mgparish! I don't normally read too much of the sublimation section, but I definitely will! I have thought of doing sublimation for a while, but I don't really have enough work to justify the expensive inks. Once I have the right opportunity to grow, then I'm sure I'll jump on it, LOL. I love that you can do dog tags, bowls, and other hard substrates in addition to garments. I just don't know a lot of people that wear 100% polyester, so I've stayed with the JPSS for the time being...
You can get sublimation transfers made crazy cheap from SK Manufacturing.

They do Koozies there themselves so he can help you with tips and tricks.

Dave is a member here and runs an ad here all the time. 16 x 20's something like buck and no min qnty.

If you already got a press then no need to fuss around with sub inks and maintaining a sublimation printer.

https://www.t-shirtforums.com/members/skdave.html

Dye Sublimation Transfers by S&K Manufacturing, Inc Print Shop

Old June 22nd, 2015 Jun 22, 2015 9:27:40 AM -   #10 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
One more question; would I have the same issue pressing a plastisol transfer on to a neoprene koozie? Or should I try to buy a better material koozie sold (scuba foam?) that the ink wouldn't do the same thing?
I haven't tried, I do know some white underbase plastisol is designed to resist dye migration, but I don't have any first hand knowledge on that.

I would defer to the screen printers here for that.

Old June 22nd, 2015 Jun 22, 2015 10:14:24 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Would this happen with black koozies too? Can't try it out bc I didn't buy any of those...

Old June 22nd, 2015 Jun 22, 2015 10:18:43 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! Great info about outsourcing the dye sub transfers! I hadn't really thought of that... But at those prices, I will definitely keep it in mind! I will have to go on YouTube to see how the hard substrates are done. I don't have a mug press but I will see what I can do with my clam-she'll press... Thanks again!!

This is a discussion about 3G Jet Opaque that was posted in the Inkjet Heat Transfer Paper section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in