Old JPSS Paper Still Good? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > Inkjet Heat Transfer Paper
Discuss the different inkjet transfer papers currently on the market.

Old JPSS Paper Still Good?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old December 30th, 2014 Dec 30, 2014 10:31:24 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Al
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Old JPSS Paper Still Good?

How long have you kept your JPSS paper and successfully pressed it?

Last night I pressed 36 shirts front and back with JPSS. 24 of those shirts were with (to my knowledge) fresh new JPSS paper that I just bought online. The remaining 12 I used OLD paper, by old I mean about a year and a half to two years. I was digging through stuff and found the paper I have a lot. 100 pcs 8.5" x 11" and 100 pcs 11" x 17".

Here is the problem. The 24 shirts I pressed with the new paper for the most part came out fine, with the exception of 2 or 3.

The 12 that I pressed with the old paper the ink transfer was not as complete as the new ones and the "feel" or texture of the print was really rough compared to the new paper. I had this happen with the 2 to 3 shirts with the new paper too.

I pressed the new paper at 375 degrees for 30 seconds. Warm Peel, repress 5 seconds.

The old paper I did the exact same however I got poor results rough feel and not so good ink transfer. I tried bumping the temp up to 380 degrees 30 seconds same thing but the poly window turned yellow. I then shortened the time to 20 seconds clear window with a slight yellow tint not so bad. but the hand was still really rough.

Sorry I don't have pictures yet as I was up till 2 am messing with it. Ill post some later on in the day when I get to the shop.

Thanks
Alden

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2015 Jan 3, 2015 6:59:26 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: KK

Default Re: Old JPSS Paper Still Good?

hey Alden, I can't tell how good or bad quality your ol JPSS is now, as all conditions count: dust, moisture, pressure, orientation.. For pressure i mean is it stacked under heavy boxes or not, it'll deteriorate very fast, in months. Thus, if you feel it's unusable, better keep away from your very precious customers shirts... your cost get higher is much better than losing accounts!

Old January 4th, 2015 Jan 4, 2015 8:47:07 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Rob

General rule of thumb is after 18-24 months don't use the heat transfer paper unless it was stored in a plastic bag at low humidity. Otherwise as the poster says above me, there is no telling what happened to those coatings over that period of time.

Old January 10th, 2015 Jan 10, 2015 5:16:02 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: David
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

It is also quite possible that the formulation of the paper has changed. Manufacturers are constantly researching and improving coatings to keep up with changing markets and conditions. You may be seeing these improvements first hand.

Old January 10th, 2015 Jan 10, 2015 4:42:10 PM -   #5 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mike
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Thanked 1,145 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidDavid
It is also quite possible that the formulation of the paper has changed. Manufacturers are constantly researching and improving coatings to keep up with changing markets and conditions. You may be seeing these improvements first hand.
I have been using JPSS since it was first available.

The paper has not changed (for better or worse) since it was first introduced.

The paper as sold since it first came out is supposed to work as easy as the "new" paper the OP describes.

Old January 16th, 2015 Jan 16, 2015 5:14:53 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Melissa
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I have to say I had some old JPSS that was stored in a ziploc plastic bag. The image did transfer -- however, the paper backing did NOT peel easily, and I was desperately trying to pick it off before it cooled. The print was rough, and was ok after I repressed with parchment paper. I have to say that I don't EVER want to go through that frantic peeling/picking again! I bought new paper, and everything went flawlessly and peeled like a ripe banana...

This is a discussion about Old JPSS Paper Still Good? that was posted in the Inkjet Heat Transfer Paper section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in