Heat transfer sealant spray? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > Inkjet Heat Transfer Paper
Discuss the different inkjet transfer papers currently on the market.

Heat transfer sealant spray?

Like Tree1Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 26th, 2012 Jun 26, 2012 1:01:04 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: gill
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Heat transfer sealant spray?

Hi , I am quite new to printing and have had good results so far but I wonder if there is a spray or other method for sealing the shirt after printing? Also is there any pre-treatment that would help in any way ? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2012 Jun 26, 2012 1:13:59 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: MIKE
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default Re: Heat transfer sealant spray?

There was a post that might help, https://www.t-shirtforums.com/inkjet-heat-transfer-paper/t190742.html atigerwannabe's post I'm referring to.I searched the forum with Krylon.

Old June 26th, 2012 Jun 26, 2012 1:32:00 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Hi gheenee and thanks for the quick response! Have just checked out the kylon spray and it seems to be exactly what I have been wondering about! Anyway have you tried this personally?? Or know of any results? Thanks again

Old June 26th, 2012 Jun 26, 2012 6:20:49 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

I still wonder just how this works. Krylon is definitely not designed to be a fabric spray, it's designed for non-porous, preferably pre-painted surfaces. It's not meant to be applied to flexible substrates, subjected to heat, or washed.

I'm not saying this doesn't work. I'm just wondering how much Krylon is even left on the shirt after the first wash.

Old June 26th, 2012 Jun 26, 2012 10:12:26 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: AJ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Hello again! I can honestly say Yes! It does work! I'm the one who have been saying that for years now!. Back when I was doing transfers, they would wash out. You could still see the image but, it looked faded. Being an Screen Printer too, I use to make a screen that use Clear Plastisol Ink to cover my images. It worked but, I needed a dryer. So, one day I had a can of "Clear Kylon" Spray. You can still buy it at any Hardware store. Rustolium is the name it is sold under. I hope I spelled Rustolium correctly. "Clear Kylon Spray" is the key. Well, back then, we didn't have the Trim-Free Papers we have today. Back then, we would have to trim around our image. So, what I did was simple. After I applied the graphic to the T-Shirt, (here are 2 things I did way back then) I would make the design a bit softer by stretching the design(meaning) i would stretch the design in both directions to make it softer. I would use the "Clear Kylon Spray"(it is the same as the Pre-Wash you have to do with black shirts now!") I would spray the design(only the design) with a light coating of the "Kylon" Spray. I would place the T-Shirt back on the 16x20 press and I would use a 16x20 teflon coated sheet or I would use..back then I would use an 11 x17 white sheet of paper. Then, I would heat the graphic and t-shirt for about 25 secs. When it was done, I would have a shirt that would never, ever fade. So, yes! it does work. I'm the guy who told you about it. The original guy!
olga1 likes this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to atigerwanabee For This Useful Post:
7amasha (July 19th, 2012), BoydRiver (October 8th, 2012), OnOnNo (September 22nd, 2012)
Old June 26th, 2012 Jun 26, 2012 10:17:14 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Just let me know if my theory holds any water or not! And yes Fenrir is correct in stating what he said. I know the product wasn't meant to do the things for t-shirts but, I tried it anyway and it works. I think you can buy a can for $ 3.00 or $4.00 dollars.

Old June 27th, 2012 Jun 27, 2012 3:58:08 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Mike

I would also like to hear if it worked.

Old June 27th, 2012 Jun 27, 2012 4:48:50 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

The other thing is, JPSS gets such good reviews that if you use that particular transfer how do you even tell if the spray did it or not? I'm sure when you first started doing this transfers were hardly as good as they are today, it seems like it's only relatively recently that they were commercially viable at all. Sounds like you found a trick to be able to do it before the rest of us - I wonder if the polymer in JPSS is chemically similar to Krylon.

Rustoleum is Krylon's competitor!

Old June 27th, 2012 Jun 27, 2012 1:00:38 PM -   #9 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Luis
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,128 Times in 835 Posts

I don't know anybody else but JPSS fades for me. Beside it leves polymer window on pastel.

Old July 4th, 2012 Jul 4, 2012 11:01:08 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

So, did anyone try the Krylon Spray yet? Come On Guys! If you are doing Heat Applied Graphics, I and you don't want your designs to fade quickly, use Krylon spray. And no I'm not a spokes person for them! I know that it is what works for me.

Old July 4th, 2012 Jul 4, 2012 4:09:54 PM -   #11 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Thanked 1,145 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gill71
Hi , I am quite new to printing and have had good results so far but I wonder if there is a spray or other method for sealing the shirt after printing? Also is there any pre-treatment that would help in any way ? Thanks
It's not necessary to preheat or seal if you use pigment inks and good papers. I have tshirts many years old and still look great.

Old July 4th, 2012 Jul 4, 2012 4:25:11 PM -   #12 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Thanked 1,145 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnfortun
I don't know anybody else but JPSS fades for me. Beside it leves polymer window on pastel.
All non-weed free papers show polymer on pastels, some more than others.

JPSS is very wash durable if:

1. Use only on 50/50 tshirts.
2. Use only pigment inks.
3. After pressing recover with parchment and repress 10 seconds.
4. Press with heavy pressure and at the max temp suggested.

JPSS is a light paper and if used on preshrink 100% cotton the fibers break to easily and cause a white fuzzy surface after extended washing (piling) this can make the shirt look faded.

On a good quality white 50/50 there is virtually no window on JPSS after washing, if applied correctly.

Transjet 2 is permanent with pigment inks on either 50/50 or 100% preshrunk cotton. It is heavier initially until after a few washes, then the hand is almost gone, just enough to keep the tshirt durable but not enough hand to be worried about. Some backgound window will show with TJ2 even on whites, so it must be trimmed or use a solid design shape.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgparrish For This Useful Post:
Ribcage (October 7th, 2012)
Old July 11th, 2012 Jul 11, 2012 6:54:40 AM -   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: mrkaine

wooow.....I HAVE to try this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by atigerwanabee
Hello again! I can honestly say Yes! It does work! I'm the one who have been saying that for years now!. Back when I was doing transfers, they would wash out. You could still see the image but, it looked faded. Being an Screen Printer too, I use to make a screen that use Clear Plastisol Ink to cover my images. It worked but, I needed a dryer. So, one day I had a can of "Clear Kylon" Spray. You can still buy it at any Hardware store. Rustolium is the name it is sold under. I hope I spelled Rustolium correctly. "Clear Kylon Spray" is the key. Well, back then, we didn't have the Trim-Free Papers we have today. Back then, we would have to trim around our image. So, what I did was simple. After I applied the graphic to the T-Shirt, (here are 2 things I did way back then) I would make the design a bit softer by stretching the design(meaning) i would stretch the design in both directions to make it softer. I would use the "Clear Kylon Spray"(it is the same as the Pre-Wash you have to do with black shirts now!") I would spray the design(only the design) with a light coating of the "Kylon" Spray. I would place the T-Shirt back on the 16x20 press and I would use a 16x20 teflon coated sheet or I would use..back then I would use an 11 x17 white sheet of paper. Then, I would heat the graphic and t-shirt for about 25 secs. When it was done, I would have a shirt that would never, ever fade. So, yes! it does work. I'm the guy who told you about it. The original guy!

Old July 11th, 2012 Jul 11, 2012 1:25:31 PM -   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Can you tell me exactly which krylon spray it is?? There are a few different clear krylon sprays on the market. Thanks

Old July 12th, 2012 Jul 12, 2012 6:55:24 PM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

If you were to go to any Hardware store and ask for the Rustolium Brand. I can't spell the name riight. But ask a clerk for the Clear Krylon Spray. They will know what you are talking about. Becareful it is very strong. You will need good ventilation to use this stuff. I know it is not for T-Shirts but it does Seal Your Transfers because if you know anything about Transfers, they sit on top of the fabric. So, therefore you need to put a Coating On Top of the Transfer to keep it from Fading. I don't care what kind of ink you use(inkjet, laser) it will fade!. The only one that doesn't fade is the Plastisol on Transfer paper(hot spit, goof-proof sublimations, or DTG). So, with all of that said, there are those that say if you have a certain type of ink that they won't fade. Well that maybe the case, but, i've never used those special inkjet inks. All I know is the spray works.

The Following User Says Thank You to atigerwanabee For This Useful Post:
DOUGIE T (October 8th, 2012)

This is a discussion about Heat transfer sealant spray? that was posted in the Inkjet Heat Transfer Paper section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in