Heat transfer sealant spray? - Page 7 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > Inkjet Heat Transfer Paper
Discuss the different inkjet transfer papers currently on the market.

Heat transfer sealant spray?

Like Tree1Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old October 11th, 2012 Oct 11, 2012 1:38:50 PM -   #91 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mike
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 1,145 Times in 976 Posts

Default Re: Heat transfer sealant spray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUGIE T
You cannot run clear coat through an air brush . You would need a compressor and a decent spray gun . The Krylon is more like laquer 1k clear coat . What my friend sprays on vinyl is Simonz car laquer . Don't think you can buy laquer in the USA ? . We can't get Krylon here .
I am guessing its very thin as if not it would set very hard and be stiff . Clear coat is a mare to spray also . Trash in your line , in the air etc .
I am looking forward to the video an images . I thank you for sharing this .
I don't know if Krylon itself is available in bulk bottles but clear coat acrylic is available for airbrushing.

Polly Scale Acrylic Clear Coat Gloss

I didn't go back and check and could be mistaken, but I though that the Krylon being discussed was more like an acrylic than a lacquer. Nail finishers (manicurist) also use clear acrylic for finger nails I believe.

Last edited by mgparrish; October 11th, 2012 at 01:44 PM..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 11th, 2012 Oct 11, 2012 1:42:09 PM -   #92 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Various brands of lacquer are still available in the US, but except for model hobby use, they tend to be called something else. The Simoniz product isn't a true lacquer, but an acrylic much like Krylon. It's probably available at auto parts stores in the US.

The big change in the US over the years is phasing out several of the more nasty volatile solvents used in these sprays, notably xylene and toluene. It varies from state-to-state, with California among the strictest, but many hardware stores no longer sell these as solvents, or even a generic lacquer thinner.

Experimentation would be needed, but I can see that it's not the acrylic overcoat that's actually doing the job of repelling water on the vinyl -- and therefore making it more washfast -- but that the solvents are closing the porous nature of the top layer. In effect, what it's doing is simulating how an eco-solvent printer works, but as a separate step. (There are differences, of course, but the overall effect would be similar.)

If I were to do this (I don't do vinyls for darks) I'd probably look for an enameling spray with the less aggressive eco-friendly solvents. Easier on my sinuses and less chance of bleeding the pigments. Strong solvents like xylene make me violently ill, so I have to be careful with the chemicals I play with.

Old October 11th, 2012 Oct 11, 2012 3:16:28 PM -   #93 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Dale
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

MGPARRISH: Thanks - Great Post. Now we are getting somewhere.

I use Plastisol in all of my production stuff... I just send it through the cutter and apply it all at once... well, almost at one... 5 seconds to get the transfer to stick, and another 20-30 to bond the plastisol clear on top of the transfer into the shirt. This has by far been the best looking result of all options I have tried, and by far the fastest.

As for Claria Inks, yes, they do bleed in the black and red inks, and you are correct... if you turn down the saturation, it seems to fix a lot if it. However, with the Plastisol sealing it, you can literally take the shirt off the press and wear it in the rain, and you will never get a single run. Its the best way I have found to seal a shirt. Now, yes, it adds a little to the bottom line, and it does add a little "hand" to the shirt, but your shirt will feel like it has been screen printed. The main reason I do this is because I know my customers will not remember every time how to properly wash a shirt with a transfer on it (inside out and dont put it in the dryer with high heat). Plastisol fixes any of these issues for me, because it needs to be pressed at 385 degrees, it is tolerable to heat, and because it covers the transfer, it protects it from other clothing rubbing against it, like jeans and such...

As for the videos - Yes, I am trying my best to get those done. I spent the entire day out of the shop taking to a couple of companies about doing their uniforms, so I got nothing done, plus I am looking into opening a new shop at a 2nd location, so things have been a little busy around here.

I also want to do a video showing how the Plastisol setup looks and works as well. Thats something I have been wanting to make for a while.

Old October 11th, 2012 Oct 11, 2012 4:04:29 PM -   #94 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoyTees
MGPARRISH: Thanks - Great Post. Now we are getting somewhere.

I use Plastisol in all of my production stuff... I just send it through the cutter and apply it all at once... well, almost at one... 5 seconds to get the transfer to stick, and another 20-30 to bond the plastisol clear on top of the transfer into the shirt. This has by far been the best looking result of all options I have tried, and by far the fastest.

As for Claria Inks, yes, they do bleed in the black and red inks, and you are correct... if you turn down the saturation, it seems to fix a lot if it. However, with the Plastisol sealing it, you can literally take the shirt off the press and wear it in the rain, and you will never get a single run. Its the best way I have found to seal a shirt. Now, yes, it adds a little to the bottom line, and it does add a little "hand" to the shirt, but your shirt will feel like it has been screen printed. The main reason I do this is because I know my customers will not remember every time how to properly wash a shirt with a transfer on it (inside out and dont put it in the dryer with high heat). Plastisol fixes any of these issues for me, because it needs to be pressed at 385 degrees, it is tolerable to heat, and because it covers the transfer, it protects it from other clothing rubbing against it, like jeans and such...

As for the videos - Yes, I am trying my best to get those done. I spent the entire day out of the shop taking to a couple of companies about doing their uniforms, so I got nothing done, plus I am looking into opening a new shop at a 2nd location, so things have been a little busy around here.

I also want to do a video showing how the Plastisol setup looks and works as well. Thats something I have been wanting to make for a while.
Yes, Murphy's law applies to customers and washing. I always figure worse case. The only opaque I could bear to sell is this stuff.

It is the only single step paper on the market that will not crack under any conditions, I've tested all of them.

It has no wash restrictions. The hottest dryer does not effect at all. Although dark garments should always be washed cold (even a blank shirt) due to the basic shirt color not going weak, this stuff can go hot wash and hot dry.

The OEM has been having trouble supplying this but until it came out I wouldn't sell opaques except for custom plastisols.

The suggested wash instructions ...

"No special wash laundry instructions are necessary"

I have brutalized this stuff in testing, no issues, and with pigment inks I never worry about bleed out. I don't have a vinyl cutter but it can be cut.

http://transferpapershack.com/images...ructions-1.pdf

Old October 12th, 2012 Oct 12, 2012 10:37:18 AM -   #95 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Oooosh !

Is that paper anywere in the uk ?

Old October 12th, 2012 Oct 12, 2012 11:36:29 AM -   #96 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUGIE T
Is that paper anywere in the uk ?
The OEM manufacturer of the paper is

IYATECH TECHNOLOGIES

You can call them for UK availabilty and suppliers.

In the US it is usually re-branded and goes under various brand names, but the supply here is scarce and the OEM when I called them didn't give me any clear answers just looked around for other supplier stock for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgparrish For This Useful Post:
DOUGIE T (October 12th, 2012)
Old October 12th, 2012 Oct 12, 2012 12:29:19 PM -   #97 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Oooosh !

Thanks Hal look into it )

Old July 26th, 2015 Jul 26, 2015 2:01:03 AM -   #98 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Sue

Where do you buy your clear plastisol transfer paper? I am frustrated with fading in a hot dryer. Can't seem to find a source. A thin, clear, matte finish would be ideal.
Thanks,
Sue

Old May 1st, 2016 May 1, 2016 1:45:17 PM -   #99 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

You can call me: jose

Smile Re: Heat transfer sealant spray?

Anybody every try spraying on a plastisol clear coat after?
Can we put plastisol clear coat in a spray can?

Old December 28th, 2016 Dec 28, 2016 10:07:57 AM -   #100 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Emari

i agree with everything he said d^_^

Old March 22nd, 2018 Mar 22, 2018 2:37:11 AM -   #101 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

You can call me: jason

hi do you have a link to the video you make regarding printing dark iron on t-shirt transfers

Old October 5th, 2018 Oct 5, 2018 6:11:55 PM -   #102 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

So will this knylon spray keep it from cracking in the wash as well ? Or do i need a waterproof spray ?

This is a discussion about Heat transfer sealant spray? that was posted in the Inkjet Heat Transfer Paper section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in