Heat transfer sealant spray? - Page 3 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > Inkjet Heat Transfer Paper
Discuss the different inkjet transfer papers currently on the market.

Heat transfer sealant spray?

Like Tree1Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 19th, 2012 Jul 19, 2012 9:39:56 AM -   #31 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: AJ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Heat transfer sealant spray?

To answer your questions I don't sell it. I use it the low odor spray. As far as long term affects. On me. I use the low odor in a ventilated area. As far as does it work on shirts? the can says it is for things other than shirts. does it work for me yes it does. I just state what works for me this is a forum is it not? If it wasn't safe to use why are they still selling it. I just found another way to use it to suit me. If you are so hung up on the spray and the environment why don't you call them personally and voice your concern. I don't think you will do that. Honestly I don't think you will.
Krylon: Products: Crystal Clear Acrylic
There is their link call them and voice your so call concern there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2012 Jul 19, 2012 9:49:31 AM -   #32 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mike
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Thanked 1,145 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atigerwanabee
To answer your questions I don't sell it. I use it the low odor spray. As far as long term affects. On me. I use the low odor in a ventilated area. As far as does it work on shirts? the can says it is for things other than shirts. does it work for me yes it does. I just state what works for me this is a forum is it not? If it wasn't safe to use why are they still selling it. I just found another way to use it to suit me. If you are so hung up on the spray and the environment why don't you call them personally and voice your concern. I don't think you will do that. Honestly I don't think you will.
Krylon: Products: Crystal Clear Acrylic
There is their link call them and voice your so call concern there.
I realize YOU are not selling it, however, your suggestion to use something that can potentially harm others is where my beef is. The fact that you don't actually charge money to advise children to go play in the street doesn't make it any better?

And don't put this garbage back on the Krylon manufacturer, it is you that is suggesting to use the product beyond it's intended use. I see nowhere that Krylon Clear Spray is OK to have rubbing up against your body nor anywhere where they claim it is OK to apply 350 degs. F for 15 seconds or so on a heat press where it can steam up and you breath it. You are missing the point, of course they suggest to use in a well ventilated area, BUT HAPPENS WHEN YOU HEAT IT AND CAN YOU WEAR IT?

I could use bug spray to treat my tshirts, would that mean that the manufacturer is at fault just because I lack common sense?

I repeat my comment about the testing requirements, are you aware of the laws?

Old July 19th, 2012 Jul 19, 2012 10:15:24 AM -   #33 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Test your food for chemicals, test your air for chemicals. Test your the very clothes you wear for chemicals. Test the detergent you use each week to wash your clothes for chemcials. Test the water you drink. Please. Get a life

Old July 19th, 2012 Jul 19, 2012 10:16:51 AM -   #34 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

I suggest you you use whatever that makes you happy. Please Get A Life!

Old July 19th, 2012 Jul 19, 2012 10:21:20 AM -   #35 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

If you want to have a friendly discussion I"m open for that but, if you constantly do what you keep doing you and I will have disagreements Period. It is on you! When you find pure air, pure water, pure clothes, pure food or anything that is not chemical based or has chemicals in it let me know. I will wear it and talk about it.

Old July 19th, 2012 Jul 19, 2012 10:44:41 AM -   #36 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Test your food for chemicals, test your air for chemicals. Test your the very clothes you wear for chemicals. Test the detergent you use each week to wash your clothes for chemcials. Test the water you drink. Please. Get a life
I am not required by law to test my food nor the detergents I use, nor the water I drink. Others that provide those are supposed to.

We are required by law to certify that garments we sell to others are safe that is a FACT. You are creating a "strawman argument", using the water we drink and the detergent we use as examples is not a valid argument.

I also must inform you that while you seem to want me to "go away" by suggesting I get a life, it was you that called me out by name a few posts back so I responded.

If your arguments are for me to go "buzz off" then you cannot defend your statements based on the merits of the facts. I'm not trying to convince you about anything really, hoping others will read my comments and make up their minds for themselves.

Since this is a forum debate is assumed as long as the arguments don't get personal, so understand I have the right to comment, I am more adament about this since I believe your practice is and can be harmful to others.

Specifically ... from the Clear spray MDS

http://www.paintdocs.com/webmsds/web...C=724504013037

SECTION 3 — HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION
ROUTES OF EXPOSURE
INHALATION of vapor or spray mist.
EYE or SKIN contact with the product, vapor or spray mist.
EFFECTS OF OVEREXPOSURE

EYES:
Irritation.

SKIN:

Prolonged or repeated exposure may cause irritation.

INHALATION:

Irritation of the upper respiratory system.
May cause nervous system depression. Extreme overexposure may result in unconsciousness and possibly death.
Prolonged overexposure to hazardous ingredients in Section 2 may cause adverse chronic effects to the following organs or systems:

page 2 of 4

UEL

LEL
FLASH POINT
Propellant < 0 °F
the liver
the urinary system
the cardiovascular system

the reproductive system

If you are wearing Krylon I would assume that would be prolonged exposure to the skin. If you press tshirts day after day week after week I would assume that would be prolonged exposure to vapors as well.

SECTION 5 — FIRE FIGHTING MEASURES

EXTINGUISHING MEDIA

Carbon Dioxide, Dry Chemical, Foam

UNUSUAL FIRE AND EXPLOSION HAZARDS

Containers may explode when exposed to extreme heat.
Application to hot surfaces requires special precautions.

I would assume a heat press is a hot surface?

Last edited by mgparrish; July 19th, 2012 at 10:59 AM..

Old August 7th, 2012 Aug 7, 2012 10:06:50 AM -   #37 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Thumbs up Re: Heat transfer sealant spray?

Quote:
Hello again! I can honestly say Yes! It does work! I'm the one who have been saying that for years now!. Back when I was doing transfers, they would wash out. You could still see the image but, it looked faded. Being an Screen Printer too, I use to make a screen that use Clear Plastisol Ink to cover my images. It worked but, I needed a dryer. So, one day I had a can of "Clear Kylon" Spray. You can still buy it at any Hardware store. Rustolium is the name it is sold under. I hope I spelled Rustolium correctly. "Clear Kylon Spray" is the key. Well, back then, we didn't have the Trim-Free Papers we have today. Back then, we would have to trim around our image. So, what I did was simple. After I applied the graphic to the T-Shirt, (here are 2 things I did way back then) I would make the design a bit softer by stretching the design(meaning) i would stretch the design in both directions to make it softer. I would use the "Clear Kylon Spray"(it is the same as the Pre-Wash you have to do with black shirts now!") I would spray the design(only the design) with a light coating of the "Kylon" Spray. I would place the T-Shirt back on the 16x20 press and I would use a 16x20 teflon coated sheet or I would use..back then I would use an 11 x17 white sheet of paper. Then, I would heat the graphic and t-shirt for about 25 secs. When it was done, I would have a shirt that would never, ever fade. So, yes! it does work. I'm the guy who told you about it. The original guy!
Thanks for sharing sir!!

Old August 8th, 2012 Aug 8, 2012 4:29:04 PM -   #38 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

lol damn i was gonna use this trick but no one besides this one person says it works. if not this, then what type of ink should i use? i have epson 545. is red grid transfer paper a good choice? thanks all

Old September 17th, 2012 Sep 17, 2012 6:57:35 AM -   #39 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Hello again! I can honestly say Yes! It does work! I'm the one who have been saying that for years now!. Back when I was doing transfers, they would wash out. You could still see the image but, it looked faded. Being an Screen Printer too, I use to make a screen that use Clear Plastisol Ink to cover my images. It worked but, I needed a dryer. So, one day I had a can of "Clear Kylon" Spray. You can still buy it at any Hardware store. Rustolium is the name it is sold under. I hope I spelled Rustolium correctly. "Clear Kylon Spray" is the key. Well, back then, we didn't have the Trim-Free Papers we have today. Back then, we would have to trim around our image. So, what I did was simple. After I applied the graphic to the T-Shirt, (here are 2 things I did way back then) I would make the design a bit softer by stretching the design(meaning) i would stretch the design in both directions to make it softer. I would use the "Clear Kylon Spray"(it is the same as the Pre-Wash you have to do with black shirts now!") I would spray the design(only the design) with a light coating of the "Kylon" Spray. I would place the T-Shirt back on the 16x20 press and I would use a 16x20 teflon coated sheet or I would use..back then I would use an 11 x17 white sheet of paper. Then, I would heat the graphic and t-shirt for about 25 secs. When it was done, I would have a shirt that would never, ever fade. So, yes! it does work. I'm the guy who told you about it. The original guy!
Hi,

we are printing the Tshirt by heat sublimation process please let us know will it work for heat sublimation process also as we think you must be talking about some other process as we also use to have the same issue like design get faded after the first wash so please do explain us for the same

Regards,
dynamics

Old September 17th, 2012 Sep 17, 2012 7:58:46 AM -   #40 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicprintings
Hi,

we are printing the Tshirt by heat sublimation process please let us know will it work for heat sublimation process also as we think you must be talking about some other process as we also use to have the same issue like design get faded after the first wash so please do explain us for the same

Regards,
dynamics
If you sublimate on 100% poly there is no ink fade, no need to seal. Sublimation forms a permanent molecular bond with the fabric and the dyes.

If you were having issues before on non-sublimation heat transfers then ...

1. You used the wrong inks (inks must be pigment based).

2. You used a poor transfer paper.

3. Both 1 and 2.

Old September 17th, 2012 Sep 17, 2012 8:32:57 AM -   #41 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

I honestly can't see the value in spraying something over a polymer based transfer, as the transfer already has a thick plastic coating over it. Assuming correct application of the transfer in the first place, it should already have sufficient top-coating protection. When you print on a transfer the printed side goes between the shirt and coating.

So, maybe you should spray on the inside of the shirt to protect that side as well? Yuck! I don't think I want plastic spray against my skin!

For subbing, if you're getting fading after washing you're not using 100% polyester, or there's some other issue with the inks or process. A sealant spray *might* help if you're using a 50/50 blend, but I'm not convinced that a spray not intended to be flexible (as is the case for Krylon spray) won't eventually crack in normal wear and wash.

Old September 20th, 2012 Sep 20, 2012 3:20:58 AM -   #42 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgparrish
If you sublimate on 100% poly there is no ink fade, no need to seal. Sublimation forms a permanent molecular bond with the fabric and the dyes.

If you were having issues before on non-sublimation heat transfers then ...

1. You used the wrong inks (inks must be pigment based).

2. You used a poor transfer paper.

3. Both 1 and 2.

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply

you were talking about some spray krylon spray for what that is use for as if we are using 50 /50 t shirt and from where we can get that spray from is it possible to get that spray in India as we are from India or do we have some other substitute for the same

Regards
Charanpreet

Old September 20th, 2012 Sep 20, 2012 7:23:05 AM -   #43 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicprintings
Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply

you were talking about some spray krylon spray for what that is use for as if we are using 50 /50 t shirt and from where we can get that spray from is it possible to get that spray in India as we are from India or do we have some other substitute for the same

Regards
Charanpreet
The krylon spray mentioning is from a different poster, I think it is unneccesary and potentially harmful to a customer.

Use pigment inks with a good transfer paper on a 50/50 tshirt, or sublimate onto a 100% poly tshirt and you won't need to worry about longevity.

Old October 7th, 2012 Oct 7, 2012 3:57:29 PM -   #44 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Dale

So, while "mgparrish" and "atigerwanabee" battle it out for what works and what may be potentially unsafe, here are my TESTED findings:

Acrylic paints have been around for years. Many of the paints that artists use, and are in contact with, are acrylic. So lets look at it from a safety issue: the MSDS for Clear Coat Acrylics that can be sprayed from a can onto surfaces provide all the info you need to know about its safe use and handling. So, why is clothing not listed? Well, for one, it can stain clothing. However, it can be used on cloth and canvas. Acrylic Clear Coat does contain toxins... that EVAPORATE. Butane and other propellants are toxic but as it dries, the toxins leave with it. Most acrylics are water based or can be diluted with water, but one dry, are very water resistant. They also have some ability to flex and stretch without cracking. So, here is what I have done, and I have found that it does indeed appear to give my heat transfers a brighter, longer lasting transfer after I have washed them side by side with the same design that has not been treated.

1) Print and cut your design,
2) In a well ventilated area, away from any open flames or heat sources (Duh), spray the design only with Krylon or Rustolium Clear coat acrylic,
3) Allow it to dry (10 minutes), then place it on the t-shirt,
4) Cover with Teflon or Parchment paper and press for the required time for your transfer.

Oh, I must mention, I am only using DARK heat transfer materials, where the ink is on the outside and has not covering built into the transfer material.

Also, many people believe that Pigment ink is the ONLY way to go. Well, I have had great success with both Pigment and Dye based inks. It basically comes down to user preference. Its like Ford and Chevy. Some people swear by one, and wont buy the other...

If done properly, once the design is applied and DRY... it is NON-TOXIC... or according to the MSDS for Pigment inks and dye inks... once they are dry, they are Non-Toxic as well. Everything seems to have some level of toxicity. Smelling the fuel vapors as you pump gas into your car... day after day... can't be to good for you either...

So, it comes down to common sense and safe use, and you will find that most things are safe for use.

And one more thing... I am making a video showing the entire process... showing the difference after washing two identical garments, one with clear coat, one with out... and I will post it when finished.

Old October 7th, 2012 Oct 7, 2012 6:50:49 PM -   #45 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoyTees
So, while "mgparrish" and "atigerwanabee" battle it out for what works and what may be potentially unsafe, here are my TESTED findings:

Acrylic paints have been around for years. Many of the paints that artists use, and are in contact with, are acrylic. So lets look at it from a safety issue: the MSDS for Clear Coat Acrylics that can be sprayed from a can onto surfaces provide all the info you need to know about its safe use and handling.

Do the MSDS sheets mention what happens when these substance(s) are heated to 350 - 400 degs. F?

So, why is clothing not listed? Well, for one, it can stain clothing. However, it can be used on cloth and canvas. Acrylic Clear Coat does contain toxins... that EVAPORATE.

Evaporation is a process where surrounding air "absorbs" the substance, evaporation is not some magic disappearance of something, it goes somewhere.

Butane and other propellants are toxic but as it dries, the toxins leave with it.

Again, they don't magically disappear. The surrounding air absorbs the TOXIC substances. If the air in the surrounding area is not replentished the "stagnate" air is contaminated.

Most acrylics are water based or can be diluted with water, but one dry, are very water resistant. They also have some ability to flex and stretch without cracking. So, here is what I have done, and I have found that it does indeed appear to give my heat transfers a brighter, longer lasting transfer after I have washed them side by side with the same design that has not been treated.

1. What are your wash testing results? The term "does indeed appear" imply's less than a complete eval.

2. Why do this if it is not necessary? Many of us make tshirts that remain bright and last a long time WITHOUT hand in the garment area. FACT

Why go thru the expense and hassle to do this when it is not needed if you follow best practice?

1) Print and cut your design,
2) In a well ventilated area, away from any open flames or heat sources (Duh), spray the design only with Krylon or Rustolium Clear coat acrylic,
3) Allow it to dry (10 minutes), then place it on the t-shirt,
4) Cover with Teflon or Parchment paper and press for the required time for your transfer.

Oh, I must mention, I am only using DARK heat transfer materials, where the ink is on the outside and has not covering built into the transfer material.

Ink does indeed penetrate into Dark heat transfers, all heat transfer materials made have what are called "emulsion layers" ink is absorbed into the transfer no matter what paper.

Also, many people believe that Pigment ink is the ONLY way to go. Well, I have had great success with both Pigment and Dye based inks.

I would agree that if you are "trapping" the dyes in an acrylic so that water cannot get to it then dye should work. If you are claiming that it OK to use dye otherwise without a "sealant" the laws of chemistry and physics argue against you.

It basically comes down to user preference. Its like Ford and Chevy. Some people swear by one, and wont buy the other...

If done properly, once the design is applied and DRY... it is NON-TOXIC... or according to the MSDS for Pigment inks and dye inks... once they are dry, they are Non-Toxic as well.

You have not addressed flamability, you only make presumptions that this practice is not toxic.

In our cases for reselling tshirt products there are GOVT requirements that have to be met, these include flamability.

https://www.cpsc.gov/businfo/ffatext.html

http://www.cpsc.gov/businfo/regsumwearapp.pdf

Everything seems to have some level of toxicity. Smelling the fuel vapors as you pump gas into your car... day after day... can't be to good for you either...

So, it comes down to common sense and safe use, and you will find that most things are safe for use.

No 100% BS, it comes down to the GOVT requirements to have the product tested for complaince OR self certify if your business is small enough. Self certification is not a waiver from the product being safe YOU are still liable for the product safety.

http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/cpsia.html

http://cfr.regstoday.com/16CFR1610.aspx

And one more thing... I am making a video showing the entire process... showing the difference after washing two identical garments, one with clear coat, one with out... and I will post it when finished.
First of all I suspect a "sock puppet" here . I marked up in your comments above.

It's not a question of whether this procedure "works" or not. It is a question of being necessary and a question of mandatory compliance with GOVT. regulations.

Last edited by mgparrish; October 7th, 2012 at 07:36 PM..

This is a discussion about Heat transfer sealant spray? that was posted in the Inkjet Heat Transfer Paper section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in