Heat transfer sealant spray? - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > Inkjet Heat Transfer Paper
Discuss the different inkjet transfer papers currently on the market.

Heat transfer sealant spray?

Like Tree1Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 12th, 2012 Jul 12, 2012 7:38:18 PM -  
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mike
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 1,145 Times in 976 Posts

Default Re: Heat transfer sealant spray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atigerwanabee
If you were to go to any Hardware store and ask for the Rustolium Brand. I can't spell the name riight. But ask a clerk for the Clear Krylon Spray. They will know what you are talking about. Becareful it is very strong. You will need good ventilation to use this stuff. I know it is not for T-Shirts but it does Seal Your Transfers because if you know anything about Transfers, they sit on top of the fabric. So, therefore you need to put a Coating On Top of the Transfer to keep it from Fading. I don't care what kind of ink you use(inkjet, laser) it will fade!. The only one that doesn't fade is the Plastisol on Transfer paper(hot spit, goof-proof sublimations, or DTG). So, with all of that said, there are those that say if you have a certain type of ink that they won't fade. Well that maybe the case, but, i've never used those special inkjet inks. All I know is the spray works.
My inkjet transfers don't need spray painted with clear chemicals dude.

For anyone that doesn't believe me go to this website and ask the users there how long there transfers last when they use pigment inks and Transjet 2 paper. Or search the postings. Don't take my word for it.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Heat_T...nters/messages

THIS IS UTTER NONSENSE!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 12th, 2012 Jul 12, 2012 7:46:11 PM -  
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Mikel
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

So you're putting vinyl on a shirt and then spraying it? That's got to feel rough. Kinda like hairspray on top of your sculpting gel. Properly printed transfers don't feel great but they definitely don't need spray lacquered. But I guess it's possible to sell just about anything if you spin it and people don't comparison shop.

Old July 12th, 2012 Jul 12, 2012 8:24:10 PM -  
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

If you are selling tshirts you need to know the law regarding safety.

http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/cpsia.html

If common sense doesn't tell you that you shouldn't put a chemical not made for prolonged human contact onto a tshirt I hope this does.

http://www.krylon.com/safety/msds/?s...m=724504013037

www.cpsc.gov/businfo/regsumwearapp.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MyPDF.pdf (20.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: pdf regsumsleepwear.pdf (63.9 KB, 15 views)

Old July 12th, 2012 Jul 12, 2012 8:35:28 PM -  
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Before anyone attempts to spray paint your tshirts and sell them suggest you read the threads posted here.

cpsia related topics at T-Shirt Forums

Old July 12th, 2012 Jul 12, 2012 8:42:47 PM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I still have a hard time believing that there's anything of the Krylon left on the shirt after the first wash anyway. My only thought is that the solvent (generally something nasty like MEK or whatever they felt like putting in "lacquer thinner" this week) chemically alters the transfer sheet or the pigment ink. I highly doubt that any actual layer of spray stays on the shirt.

Old July 12th, 2012 Jul 12, 2012 8:43:38 PM -  
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Getting Ready for the CPSIA’s GCC Requirement for Flammability for Clothing Textiles : The Smart Mama

Old July 12th, 2012 Jul 12, 2012 9:30:54 PM -  
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir
I still have a hard time believing that there's anything of the Krylon left on the shirt after the first wash anyway. My only thought is that the solvent (generally something nasty like MEK or whatever they felt like putting in "lacquer thinner" this week) chemically alters the transfer sheet or the pigment ink. I highly doubt that any actual layer of spray stays on the shirt.
I don't think the gentleman can answer the question about whether the chemical alters the pigment inks or not, he was not aware of pigments being the correct ink to use and not using pigment printers.

I asked him specifically if he was using pigment inks and his statement about the "special" inks ...

https://www.t-shirtforums.com/printer...ml#post1134299

"I personally don't like Transfers fading. That is why i use the Spray. You keep saying that all I need to do is use special inks, well I've never use those inks and I don't use Inkjet printers anymore".

So the larger question I pose is if one is so certain that all inkjet transfers fade how could one know if you didn't actually try those "special inks"?

Last edited by mgparrish; July 12th, 2012 at 09:40 PM..

Old July 13th, 2012 Jul 13, 2012 11:12:50 AM -  
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Mikel
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Pigment inks are the best solution the rest are simply hacks that may or may not be viable. Frankly I will spend the 130$ to get a pigment based wide format printer. And then a cis with pigment ink. Then it's just a matter of finding the best paper with the softest hand. The only reason I use them is for cheap one offs for customers don't want a screen print. I can't stomach the price of dtg printers. That is truly raquet and I think screen printing has more charm anyways lol.

My two cents. Toss them in a well and make a wish.

Old July 16th, 2012 Jul 16, 2012 3:21:11 AM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Hello again! I can honestly say Yes! It does work! I'm the one who have been saying that for years now!. Back when I was doing transfers, they would wash out. You could still see the image but, it looked faded. Being an Screen Printer too, I use to make a screen that use Clear Plastisol Ink to cover my images. It worked but, I needed a dryer. So, one day I had a can of "Clear Kylon" Spray. You can still buy it at any Hardware store. Rustolium is the name it is sold under. I hope I spelled Rustolium correctly. "Clear Kylon Spray" is the key. Well, back then, we didn't have the Trim-Free Papers we have today. Back then, we would have to trim around our image. So, what I did was simple. After I applied the graphic to the T-Shirt, (here are 2 things I did way back then) I would make the design a bit softer by stretching the design(meaning) i would stretch the design in both directions to make it softer. I would use the "Clear Kylon Spray"(it is the same as the Pre-Wash you have to do with black shirts now!") I would spray the design(only the design) with a light coating of the "Kylon" Spray. I would place the T-Shirt back on the 16x20 press and I would use a 16x20 teflon coated sheet or I would use..back then I would use an 11 x17 white sheet of paper. Then, I would heat the graphic and t-shirt for about 25 secs. When it was done, I would have a shirt that would never, ever fade. So, yes! it does work. I'm the guy who told you about it. The original guy!

Do you mean this one ?
Krylon: Products: Crystal Clear Acrylic

Is that same thing like fixative spray?

Last edited by Ducks; July 16th, 2012 at 06:54 AM..

Old July 16th, 2012 Jul 16, 2012 8:52:47 AM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: AJ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Is that same thing like fixative spray? I have never heard of that one. All I know is the clear Krlyon Spray. And thanks a bunch for the link. They have several ones out now. Thank you again for the link.

Old July 19th, 2012 Jul 19, 2012 8:19:36 AM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

@atigerwanabee

So you are using Forever paper with laser printer.

I have same papers and Konica minolta laser printer

I have pressed with High pressure at 175c 185c 195c 215c

all with 15 - 25 sec

repressed with sheet and spray.

Best result i had at 215c/ 20sec

But i still have minor cracking after 3 washes.

Do you have any cracking?
what should i try next to prevent designs from cracking

I use Russel 100% Cotton tees.
Should i try 50/50 ?

any feedback would be nice
thank you.

Old July 19th, 2012 Jul 19, 2012 8:40:41 AM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Yes I'm using both. I'm using the spray the link is above.
I"m also using the Paper from Digital Heat FX. I'm also using this paper from One Step. One Step Papers
There website is there. As far as cracking. To prevent that this is what i do. I heat apply the graphic first. I then take it off and stretch the image a bit to soften it up. Then I spay the image Real good. How good? well you don't want to make the graphic to wet. Just enough to cover the graphic real well. Next I put the graphics back on the Heat Press and put a Kraft Paper 16 x20 ontop of the graphic. I like the Kraft paper because it makes my designs flat. I then press the shirt for about 25 seconds using the same time, tempt, pressure. I take it off the press and stretch the design again to make it soft. I'm done As far as shirts go, I've never used anything but Hanes Beefy T-Shirts. They are heavier. I will try this shirt called Pro Club Inc. which is very heavy. Otto which is a cap manufacture sells the Pro Club Inc under their own brand called "Compy Tee's As far as Cracking I don't recall having that issue. One final note. The Kylon spray comes in a low odor Clear Finish

Old July 19th, 2012 Jul 19, 2012 8:47:41 AM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

To answer your question mgparrish why don't you go to the link and read for yourself about the Spray. I still don't think that Inks will not fade. They just need a little help not to that is all I'm saying and trying to do. I try to make my designs I sell last a lot longer. Reputation is key when you are selling Heat Applied Graphics to people and have them come back to you saying your designs fall off after a few washing. I just want them to say, Your designs do last a very longtime. Period. If I have to use something that will make the Heat Applied Graphics last so be it. As far as Chemicals go all inks that I know of are just that. A chemical make up. I'm not a Chemical Engineer, don't know what is inside Inks. All I know is what works for me. If someone wishes to get analytical with the chemical makeup of inks, sprays, cotton, pretreatment, shirts from other places be my guest. I know I like the spray to make my designs last longer.

Old July 19th, 2012 Jul 19, 2012 9:22:56 AM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Yes I'm using both. I'm using the spray the link is above.
I"m also using the Paper from Digital Heat FX. I'm also using this paper from One Step. One Step Papers
There website is there. As far as cracking. To prevent that this is what i do. I heat apply the graphic first. I then take it off and stretch the image a bit to soften it up. Then I spay the image Real good. How good? well you don't want to make the graphic to wet. Just enough to cover the graphic real well. Next I put the graphics back on the Heat Press and put a Kraft Paper 16 x20 ontop of the graphic. I like the Kraft paper because it makes my designs flat. I then press the shirt for about 25 seconds using the same time, tempt, pressure. I take it off the press and stretch the design again to make it soft. I'm done As far as shirts go, I've never used anything but Hanes Beefy T-Shirts. They are heavier. I will try this shirt called Pro Club Inc. which is very heavy. Otto which is a cap manufacture sells the Pro Club Inc under their own brand called "Compy Tee's As far as Cracking I don't recall having that issue. One final note. The Kylon spray comes in a low odor Clear Finish
Thank you for quick post.

I think i should try heavy tees like you.
I have russel 150g shirts and hanes beefy ones is 215g,so they are alot heavier.

What temp you use?
And you said you use kraft paper, i use cooking paper,is there any difference ?

Old July 19th, 2012 Jul 19, 2012 9:27:19 AM -  
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
To answer your question mgparrish why don't you go to the link and read for yourself about the Spray. I still don't think that Inks will not fade. They just need a little help not to that is all I'm saying and trying to do. I try to make my designs I sell last a lot longer. Reputation is key when you are selling Heat Applied Graphics to people and have them come back to you saying your designs fall off after a few washing. I just want them to say, Your designs do last a very longtime. Period. If I have to use something that will make the Heat Applied Graphics last so be it. As far as Chemicals go all inks that I know of are just that. A chemical make up. I'm not a Chemical Engineer, don't know what is inside Inks. All I know is what works for me. If someone wishes to get analytical with the chemical makeup of inks, sprays, cotton, pretreatment, shirts from other places be my guest. I know I like the spray to make my designs last longer.
I have read your post. I don't need to try because my inks create long lasting tshirts... period. I'm not questioning if the Krylon extends the life of the shirt or not.

Do you realize that in the US we have a requirement to CERTIFY that our products:

1. Use no unsafe chemicals
2. Are not flammable

Have you done the necessary testing to comply with CPSIA?

If you sell over a certain volume of product the testing and certification is mandatory. If you sell under that volume you can "self-certify", however, self certify does not preclude you from meeting the requirements.

It is not a question of whether spray painting a tshirt works or not, my argument is that if you use the right materials it is not necessary and most likely you are putting others in harms way.

My question to you is by your own admission you haven't been using the correct inks, so how do you know that what you describe is really necessary?

I have ZERO complaints about my product and I do extensive wash testing on anything I offer to sell. My own garments I wear using the same processes I use for making products that I sell are still very nice looking after years of wear and washing.

You use broad statements about tshirt longivity, however, your experience is not broad, you have not been following best practice when it comes to ink jet transfers, plain and simple.

Your statement on the process from another posting ...

"#6 Here is the secret ...after the backing is removed, spray the image with a light mist of the CLEAR KYLON SPRAY. Repress the image with the Kraft Paper for 25 seconds."

As you state you are not an Engineer and you are not up on chemistry, this makes your practice potentially hazardous.

So if you sprayed Krylon on a tshirt what happens when ....

1. The substance is re-pressed as you state, Krylon was not designed to be heated up on a heat press. When the heat is applied is the out-gassing that occurs safe? If you can smell something this means it has out-gassed. Smelling something means you have ingested something into your body

2. Will the Krylon react with the tshirt transfer polymer and create a new unsafe chemical that can also out-gas since Krylon has solvent so that the spray can be propelled?

3. Will heating the Krylon with the transfer under it acclerate the effect of item #2 above?

4. If you are doing many items a day like this day after day, week after week, what are the cumulative effects?

Not only do you put end customers at potential risk you are putting those that make the products at some unknown risk. Should you wear a respirator when doing this process?

Playing with chemicals when you don't have a clue is insane.

Last edited by mgparrish; July 19th, 2012 at 09:36 AM..

This is a discussion about Heat transfer sealant spray? that was posted in the Inkjet Heat Transfer Paper section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in