problems with 3G Jet-Opaque transfer paper - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > Inkjet Heat Transfer Paper
Discuss the different inkjet transfer papers currently on the market.

problems with 3G Jet-Opaque transfer paper

Like Tree3Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old December 29th, 2011 Dec 29, 2011 12:35:03 AM -   #16 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: yolö creative
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: problems with 3G Jet-Opaque transfer paper

We generally recommend 3G Jet-Opaque for use with 100% cotton and Jet-Opaque II for cotton blends. As your shirt is 60% cotton and 40% polyester, you may find that you getter better results with Jet-Opaque II.
omsi likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 29th, 2011 Dec 29, 2011 12:41:09 AM -   #17 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thanks you very much! I'll definately try that..

Old December 29th, 2011 Dec 29, 2011 1:12:51 AM -   #18 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Angel
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Thanked 1,111 Times in 959 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvy
After trying all the instructions varying the temp and time.. I still have this problem of the transfer paper adapting the color of the shirt. I use a 3g Jet Opaque and a Yalex colored shirt.. 60% cotton 40% polyester..
What sort of color adaptation problem? 3G is opaque and there shouild not be any color adaptation problem as I am imagining the problem to be. Meybe you can be more specific.

Whether it is better for use with cotton or polycotton shirts is another matter.

Old December 29th, 2011 Dec 29, 2011 1:13:42 AM -   #19 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolo
We generally recommend 3G Jet-Opaque for use with 100% cotton and Jet-Opaque II for cotton blends. As your shirt is 60% cotton and 40% polyester, you may find that you getter better results with Jet-Opaque II.
Can you elaborate further? TIA

Old December 29th, 2011 Dec 29, 2011 4:14:34 AM -   #20 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Luis
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,128 Times in 835 Posts

It is actually dye migration. The dye on cotton blend will sublimate thru the opaque. Try pressing it twice and let it cool in between presses. Split the time in 2 halves. Press for first half. Let it cool down for few seconds then press with the second half. Lower the pressure also. Otherwise use 100% cotton.

Old December 29th, 2011 Dec 29, 2011 4:26:56 AM -   #21 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Does the dye migration occur after pressing or soon after?

I use 3G and jet opaque interchangeably but more on 3G. My opaque papers on stock is 3G. I used to press at 350F(176C) for 15 sec then repress for another 15 seconds. I recently change to 190C and 10-12 seconds + 5 seconds repress. If I pr4ess for 15 seconds some edges won't stick. I believe that is a sign of excessive heat(or is it?). Pressure is medium to hard. Shirt is usually 60% cotton. I did not notice dye migration but will try to observe more closely next time.

Old December 29th, 2011 Dec 29, 2011 6:04:20 AM -   #22 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

For more elaboration, the paper is tinted with the color of the shirt.. the shirt is pink and the image on the paper turned pink as well..

Old December 30th, 2011 Dec 30, 2011 11:59:11 AM -   #23 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Dye migration occurs when the dye molecules are heated at high temp and prolonged time to a point that the dye turn to gas state. While the molecules are in gas state they will bond to the molecules of synthetic materials. When cooled down the dye molecules return to solid state and permanently bonded to the synthetic material(sublimation). Although opaque material is not as receptive as 100% polyester synthetic, such as 100% or high percentage polyester shirt or 100% polyester coated material such as mug, it will have some form of sublimation effect(dye migration). So when splitting the time and lowering the temp when pressing opaque the dye molecules will not reach to gas state. Therefore minimizes the possibility of dye migration. Some vinyl transfers have some form of dye blocker to prevent dye migration.

I treat opaque material like vinyl transfer. I press between 320F to 330F for 6 seconds for first pressing. Let it cool down. Press 6 seconds for second presssing then peel cold.

Over heating or pressing too long can overcure the adhessive and lose it's bonding property. That is what happens when the edges are lifting.

Last edited by Lnfortun; December 31st, 2011 at 12:00 PM..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lnfortun For This Useful Post:
BroJames (December 30th, 2011), dkdesign (September 15th, 2013)
Old December 30th, 2011 Dec 30, 2011 5:58:41 PM -   #24 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Although mine is not lifting up at 12 seconds seems like I can afford to lower the press time.

Old January 4th, 2012 Jan 4, 2012 7:43:31 AM -   #25 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Tracy

Did you ever get your image to stay put?
Normally the 3G is only used on 100% cotton fabrics. If you're using that 60/40 blend or any other blend then you may want to think about using a different opaque paper - try the Blue Grid or the Jet Opaque II paper. Those won't be quite as soft but they will give you a great vibrant color.
Also, temp should be around 170-175C and press for around 30 seconds. Also use a medium pressure for the 3G as well as the Blue Grid and the JetOpaque II If the paper won't stick to the shirt at all after pressing, make sure you've peeled the paper backing off before trying to press it?

Old January 4th, 2012 Jan 4, 2012 7:41:19 PM -   #26 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroJames
Does the dye migration occur after pressing or soon after?

I use 3G and jet opaque interchangeably but more on 3G. My opaque papers on stock is 3G. I used to press at 350F(176C) for 15 sec then repress for another 15 seconds. I recently change to 190C and 10-12 seconds + 5 seconds repress. If I pr4ess for 15 seconds some edges won't stick. I believe that is a sign of excessive heat(or is it?). Pressure is medium to hard. Shirt is usually 60% cotton. I did not notice dye migration but will try to observe more closely next time.
That should be 180C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfehrenbacher
Did you ever get your image to stay put?
Normally the 3G is only used on 100% cotton fabrics. If you're using that 60/40 blend or any other blend then you may want to think about using a different opaque paper - try the Blue Grid or the Jet Opaque II paper. Those won't be quite as soft but they will give you a great vibrant color.
Also, temp should be around 170-175C and press for around 30 seconds. Also use a medium pressure for the 3G as well as the Blue Grid and the JetOpaque II If the paper won't stick to the shirt at all after pressing, make sure you've peeled the paper backing off before trying to press it?
I started with 176C 30 seconds but the edges sometimes lift. I've tried various temp-time combination, including some used by commercial printers. The lowest temp I recall is 160C 30 seconds and the highest 220C 5 seconds. Most seems OK but without the benefit of extensive wash test.

For a while, I used 176C 15seconds press plus 15 seconds repress. That seems fine too. But the shirts I've wash test most was pressed at 180C 10-12 seconds + 5 seconds repress(sometimes none). I maintain 180C for paper transfers and vinyls (Chinese polyurethane) except some korean vinyls that require 110C 10 seconds.

Frankly I printed mostly on black cotton blends but have also printed on grays, yellow, red and a few other colors. I've also printed on 100% cotton. Unfortunately, I did not pay special attention to possible dye migration.

How does Blue Grid or Jet Opaque II compare with each other? Have you tried paropy or joto?

BTW, my current problem is opaque papers cracking after 20 or so washes.

Old January 6th, 2012 Jan 6, 2012 1:20:36 AM -   #27 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

we have the same problem im using crown brand shirt 3g jet-opaque heat transfer paper, heavy duty heat press machine in 180C 8sec for dark shirt and yet still have this problem of the transfer paper adapting the color of the shirt. what is the right temperature and time for dark transfer paper on a black shirt..

Old January 6th, 2012 Jan 6, 2012 1:27:05 AM -   #28 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

we have the same problem im using crown brand shirt 3g jet-opaque heat transfer paper, heavy duty heat press machine in 180C 8sec for dark shirt and yet still have this problem of the transfer paper adapting the color of the shirt. what is the right temperature and time for dark transfer paper on a black shirt..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

the letter "Z" it adapts the color of the shirt
i use 180C 8sec for dark shirt

Last edited by iDesignTeePrints; January 6th, 2012 at 01:32 AM.. Reason: inserting image

Old June 15th, 2012 Jun 15, 2012 12:13:51 AM -   #29 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: ericah

3G JET OPAQUE
Heat Transfer Paper (Dark Based)
- Neenah Brand
- Size: A4
- 5sec to Print on Fabric
- Durable / Washable...
Model Number: P-TP-3G
brand Name: Neenah
FOUND AT ALIBABA.COM SITE

I TRIED THIS METHOD @ 160 CELSIUS AND IT WORKS WITHOUT LOSING OPACY

30 SEC NEENAH RECOMMEND ON YOUTUBE DIDN'T WORK FOR ME..LOSING OPACY

Last edited by ericahcah; June 15th, 2012 at 06:09 AM..

Old June 15th, 2012 Jun 15, 2012 3:25:53 AM -   #30 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericahcah
3G JET OPAQUE
Heat Transfer Paper (Dark Based)
- Neenah Brand
- Size: A4
- 5sec to Print on Fabric
- Durable / Washable...
Model Number: P-TP-3G
brand Name: Neenah
FOUND AT ALIBABA.COM SITE

I TRIED THIS METHOD @ 160 CELSIUS AND IT WORKS WITHOUT LOSING OPACY

30 SEC NEENAH RECOMMEND ON YOUTUBE DIDN'T THE WORK FOR ME..LOSING OPACY
Yup I don't follow for the most part the instruction with opaque. I find much lower press time solves the opacity issue. 30 seconds is way too long. I press between 6 to 12 seconds with opaque depending on brand name.

This is a discussion about problems with 3G Jet-Opaque transfer paper that was posted in the Inkjet Heat Transfer Paper section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in