Heat Press Dilema - Buying New - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > Heat Presses - Equipment
Discuss the different brands and sizes of heat presses available on the market, including Hix, GeoKnight, Hotronix, and other smaller manufacturers. Topics include maintenance, selection, styles and more.

Heat Press Dilema - Buying New

Like Tree2Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old February 25th, 2020 Feb 25, 2020 9:00:23 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Heat Press Dilema - Buying New

Hello again,
I'm about to buy a new heat press for my business (40x50)... I will use it for sublimation onto socks (almost exclusively).

1) First, I dont know for what quality I need to aim for. Do I need a premium machine, without hot spots, perfect temperature and pressure managment. Or it just doesnt matters if I'm 20°C lower or higher?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2020 Feb 25, 2020 10:15:38 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Pat
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Default Re: Heat Press Dilema - Buying New

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitek
Hello again,
I'm about to buy a new heat press for my business (40x50)... I will use it for sublimation onto socks (almost exclusively).

1) First, I dont know for what quality I need to aim for. Do I need a premium machine, without hot spots, perfect temperature and pressure managment. Or it just doesnt matters if I'm 20°C lower or higher?
Accurate (and uniform) temp is critical for sublimation. You can get away with some variation with htv but not sub.
Most manual presses hold consistent pressure - only light pressure is needed for sublimation - so that is not such an issue.

What is your budget, and what country are you in?

The Following User Says Thank You to PatWibble For This Useful Post:
vitek (February 26th, 2020)
Old February 25th, 2020 Feb 25, 2020 10:27:30 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Kris

On socks you are doing a front and a back in pairs... If your time and temperature are not consistent you will risk not having consistent results. Meaning that your front and back might be two different shades and also with matching socks in pairs. So it all comes down to how controlled you need your results to be and what kind of equipment budget you have.

The Following User Says Thank You to allsport For This Useful Post:

Old February 25th, 2020 Feb 25, 2020 7:59:10 PM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,075 Posts

I would go with the Stahls Fusion press. They have platens for what you want.

Old February 26th, 2020 Feb 26, 2020 6:35:23 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Thank you for reply and good points.

I am based in Europe - Czech Rebublic. Which eliminated all of the England options (mechpress; novachrome). I maybe can mail a brand new Adkins from UK, but any warranty or service would cost me 40kg mail by air.

Options I have found so far:
1) Stahl's Hotronix, their EU centre is based in Germany with plenty of dealers in nearby.
2) Unknown Chinese inported press (Eq of this)
3) Chinese Xing Hong press - which seems to be higher end heat press pruducent of China. Can ship one to my address, but probably no real warranty.
4) Secabo (appeared to by german brand, but really is just a rebranded china stuff)
5) maybe Sister Heat presses from Italy (https://www.siser.com/heat-presses/)

I'm looking for the "cheapest viable solution." So some of the basic models. I dont really look for longetivity or advanced functions - I just need to start a business.

I have found:
- Stahl's Maxx (more expensive)
- Stahl's Basic Clam Press (cheap, china, but stahl)
- Adkins EZ auto-clam (mid price)
- huge variety of chinese presses brought here by czech resellers from 550 to 1000USD
- Schulze BluePRESS (expensive, no idea what this is)

So yep, I am really overwhelmed at the moment. Currently Im playing with an idea of buying Stahl's basic, since its cheap, but hopefully should perform well. Maxx is also an option, but wish I could get it a little bit cheaper. Or maybe just buy some chinesee option warantied by czech resellers and hope for the best? I dont know... what do you think?

Old February 26th, 2020 Feb 26, 2020 8:45:19 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Edward
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

check this thread out

The Following User Says Thank You to into the T For This Useful Post:
Old February 26th, 2020 Feb 26, 2020 8:47:03 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Here is a pic of my old Stahls Basic - broke about 5 weeks after the meagre warrenty expired. Stahls EU were not interested in trying to put it right. Never kept consistant temp, always cuttig out. This is not the same animal as the US made presses, IMHO don't touch this basic model with a ten foot pole.
Maxx are good.

The cheaper Siser press is very similar to the Stahls basic - looks chinese made.
The dearer model looks weird but is well made and versatile with severeal platen options. I believe you can swap out the heat platen for cap platen.

Adkins are also chinese - good quality but without access to warrenty you are taking a risk. The EZ Clam is similar to - if not identical to - the Secabo.
The only UK made press is Pressmech - also sold unbranded by Novachrome, built like a tank, and very little to go wrong.

Schultz make good presses.

Just to make your decision harder.....

There are two other Italian brands- Lotus and Transmatic.
https://www.lotustransfers.com/epage...ressen/Manuell
https://www.transmaticsrl.com/en/hea...anual-presses/

Thee is also Sefa from France - expensive but 10 year warrenty.
https://www.sefa.fr/en/194-dual-platen-duplex

If you buy cheap chinese get from a seller with a bricks and mortar business, who actualy holds stock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 898.jpg (1.30 MB, 9 views)
into the T likes this.

Last edited by PatWibble; February 26th, 2020 at 08:57 AM..

Old February 26th, 2020 Feb 26, 2020 9:25:31 AM -   #8 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Bob
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

I've mentioned before in another similar thread... Things have changed lately, and many low cost heat presses are actually OK. The problem is how to identify a good one if are a newbie.

My suggestion would be to talk to a local shop, explain what you need it for, and ensure you can return it for a full refund if it doesn't do the job. Then go home and check the heat plate for temperature variations and flatness (when hot). You will need a temperature gun and a cheap flatness ruler.
into the T likes this.

Old February 26th, 2020 Feb 26, 2020 10:30:15 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatWibble
Here is a pic of my old Stahls Basic - broke about 5 weeks after the meagre warrenty expired. Stahls EU were not interested in trying to put it right. Never kept consistant temp, always cuttig out. This is not the same animal as the US made presses, IMHO don't touch this basic model with a ten foot pole.
Maxx are good.

The cheaper Siser press is very similar to the Stahls basic - looks chinese made.
The dearer model looks weird but is well made and versatile with severeal platen options. I believe you can swap out the heat platen for cap platen.

Adkins are also chinese - good quality but without access to warrenty you are taking a risk. The EZ Clam is similar to - if not identical to - the Secabo.
The only UK made press is Pressmech - also sold unbranded by Novachrome, built like a tank, and very little to go wrong.

Schultz make good presses.

Just to make your decision harder.....

There are two other Italian brands- Lotus and Transmatic.
https://www.lotustransfers.com/epage...ressen/Manuell
https://www.transmaticsrl.com/en/hea...anual-presses/

Thee is also Sefa from France - expensive but 10 year warrenty.
https://www.sefa.fr/en/194-dual-platen-duplex

If you buy cheap chinese get from a seller with a bricks and mortar business, who actualy holds stock.
Thank you for the information. At last we eliminated Stahl's basic. I'm also sitting on polish, german and austrian ebay in hope, but not many heat presses there...

I will try to find out prices of Schultz basic models, maybe thats the way. I also can buy second hand Secabo for a good price, but I read so much negative in UK forums - that customer support is slow, lazy and spare parts crazy expensive (also problems with heat spots and so...) that I'm afraid to go for it.

So yep... But I swear now if I see good price pressmech on Uk ebay, I will figure out the way how to get it here!

Old February 26th, 2020 Feb 26, 2020 10:33:00 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TABOB
I've mentioned before in another similar thread... Things have changed lately, and many low cost heat presses are actually OK. The problem is how to identify a good one if are a newbie.

My suggestion would be to talk to a local shop, explain what you need it for, and ensure you can return it for a full refund if it doesn't do the job. Then go home and check the heat plate for temperature variations and flatness (when hot). You will need a temperature gun and a cheap flatness ruler.
That's a good idea. We only have two real vendors of heat presses here. But maybe I will convince one of them to let me test and mesure the press before buying.

Old February 26th, 2020 Feb 26, 2020 11:26:30 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatWibble
The Stahls Basic is obviously a Chinese re-branded press. I have 5 identical looking ones and have all failed just like yours. Easy to repair though, and were very cheap.

The Following User Says Thank You to TABOB For This Useful Post:
Old February 26th, 2020 Feb 26, 2020 10:15:00 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Hah, just exchanged few emails with Xing Hong. Their hottest model sells for $435 ; And something like this is for $247. Just letting you know, its interesting...

Old February 27th, 2020 Feb 27, 2020 1:54:53 AM -   #13 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Hah, just exchanged few emails with Xing Hong. Their hottest model sells for $435 ; And something like this is for $247. Just letting you know, its interesting...
Are those 'door to door' prices? You will probably have to pay import duty plus your local vat/sales tax on top before it is cleared through customs. You will also be taking responsibility for the warrenty.

Presses similar to the dearer model are available from UK and US vendors - if you shop around it will be available in EU somewhere https://www.printerowners.co.uk/shop...05-heat-press/

Old February 27th, 2020 Feb 27, 2020 2:28:10 AM -   #14 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
It's better to buy from an established local reseller whenever possible. Pay by credit card and let them take all the risk. This way you can inspect the product before you buy it, and you can easily return it if it's not fit for purpose. You will not be able to return it to the Chinese seller. Shipping will be too expensive, and you will not be protected by law.

The Following User Says Thank You to TABOB For This Useful Post:
vitek (February 27th, 2020)
Old February 27th, 2020 Feb 27, 2020 5:13:33 AM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

"cheapest viable solution." is the criteria you imposed.
Then simply buy the cheapest one you have access to.
However, in the USA, the suggestion is to choose a cheap one that will look good on the curb when it must be thrown out. Price only is rarely a valid criteria.
I suggest buying a quantity of temperature testing strips to verify the temperature of the cheap press. Then you can adjust the displayed temp to the actual temp and even identify the cold or hot spots to avoid. I know my "not cheap' press was 10 Degrees off. I compensate with an adjustment and never missed a beat in production.

This is a discussion about Heat Press Dilema - Buying New that was posted in the Heat Presses - Equipment section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in