Hotronix vs Geo Knight? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > Heat Presses - Equipment
Discuss the different brands and sizes of heat presses available on the market, including Hix, GeoKnight, Hotronix, and other smaller manufacturers. Topics include maintenance, selection, styles and more.

Hotronix vs Geo Knight?

Like Tree17Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old 1 Week Ago Oct 8, 2019 2:11:29 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Hotronix vs Geo Knight?

Hi all, new guy here. Looking into my first heat press. I was originally looking at the Chinese-made sub-$1,000 units at Heat Press Nation but then decided I'd rather stretch and pay more now for quality equipment than buy something I'll regret.

My requirements are 16x20 clamshell with auto-open. Surprisingly only the Chinese-made units (HPN, etc.) offer 16x20 auto-open units with a drawer. I'd like a drawer but am willing to forego that feature. I'm not sure I need a hover function, but the Geo Knight includes it, so I've chosen the Hotronix model to match.

The comparable Hotronix (Hover) and Geo Knight (DK20A) models, including rolling stands, are about a $425 total difference in price (the Hotronix being more expensive), which to me is not an insignificant amount. Being a noob, I don't know what Hotronix may offer (if anything) to make that extra $425 money well-spent.

I focused on clamshell vs swing-away as I like the auto-open feature so I don't have to sit and stare at the machine to open it timely. I don't believe any of the swing-away models at these price points offer any type of auto-open functionality.

Any advice from the pros out there?

Last edited by RedHotFuzz; 1 Week Ago at 02:47 PM..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago Oct 8, 2019 2:28:22 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Default Re: Hotronix vs Geo Knight?

From comparing the two via the websites, I like the wide handle on the Geo Knight. Seems that might help minimize fatigue as you could easily "two-hand it" if you wanted, in a more ergonomic way. Also the Geo Knight offers a twin shuttle accessory. Not cheap at $650, but might be a nice option later if the workload demands it.

I'm sure the Hotronix offers its own advantages over the Geo Knight, but I haven't been able to spot them (yet), other than the height adjustability of the Hotronix stand (which may be important). Although the Hotronix (and accompanying stand) are both better-looking pieces of equipment than the Geo Knight, not that it matters.

Last edited by RedHotFuzz; 1 Week Ago at 02:46 PM..

Old 6 Days Ago Oct 8, 2019 6:32:09 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 2,233 Posts

You really can't go wrong with either press. All things being equal, I would probably choose the Knight as they are built more tank-like than Stahls.

Also, as was pointed out here in another post, down the road when you need to replace parts the Knight seems to keep parts to obsolete machines longer and their replacement parts in general are cheaper than Stahls.
Amw and seacookie like this.

The Following User Says Thank You to splathead For This Useful Post:
RedHotFuzz (6 Days Ago)

Old 6 Days Ago Oct 8, 2019 7:14:45 PM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 1,016 Posts

We have had both and I would go with the Hotronix.

Old 6 Days Ago Oct 8, 2019 7:28:20 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by binki
We have had both and I would go with the Hotronix.

Specific reasons?
seacookie likes this.

Old 6 Days Ago Oct 9, 2019 1:11:04 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Pat
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

What print method are you using? Auto open can cause problems for sublimation. The transfer needs to be removed quickly and smoothly after opening, so you need to be in close attendance to the press. Also most auto open presses open with a jolt which can make the transfer move, cuasing a ghost.

Old 6 Days Ago Oct 9, 2019 4:45:38 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Amw
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Marsha & Tony
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz
Hi all, new guy here. Looking into my first heat press. I was originally looking at the Chinese-made sub-$1,000 units at Heat Press Nation but then decided I'd rather stretch and pay more now for quality equipment than buy something I'll regret.

My requirements are 16x20 clamshell with auto-open. Surprisingly only the Chinese-made units (HPN, etc.) offer 16x20 auto-open units with a drawer. I'd like a drawer but am willing to forego that feature. I'm not sure I need a hover function, but the Geo Knight includes it, so I've chosen the Hotronix model to match.

The comparable Hotronix (Hover) and Geo Knight (DK20A) models, including rolling stands, are about a $425 total difference in price (the Hotronix being more expensive), which to me is not an insignificant amount. Being a noob, I don't know what Hotronix may offer (if anything) to make that extra $425 money well-spent.

I focused on clamshell vs swing-away as I like the auto-open feature so I don't have to sit and stare at the machine to open it timely. I don't believe any of the swing-away models at these price points offer any type of auto-open functionality.

Any advice from the pros out there?
We have a bunch of Geo Knight presses. We have one Stahls (had more in the past). As already said Geo Knights are built like tanks. Support if needed is a little faster with Geo Knight in my experience. Again as said already, parts are cheaper and IMO much less likely to need to be replaced in the first place.

On the DK20A, it is easy to disable the "auto open" to use with dye sub if ghosting is an issue for your product. There is a black metal part that is very easy to remove (takes 10-30 seconds) and now it is manual open.
It sits above the pressure knob when the press is open or on the electromagnet when it is closed.
Just be sure to put it somewhere safe, they run about $35 to replace. (part dkaautohvr i think)

Both are great, but if i was starting my business now and buying just one press i would buy a geo knight. Stahls is even a local company to us, and they have great htv. I am sure whichever way you go you will be fine. Good luck!

Old 6 Days Ago Oct 9, 2019 5:35:00 AM -   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatWibble
What print method are you using?

Not sure yet, but want to be open to all possibilities.

I'm starting to wonder if I should go with a swing-away model instead of a clamshell. I have no plans to print on tiles or thicker items, but swing-away would give me more options and easier placement. I like the idea of auto-open on a clamshell, but I also like the idea of not having to work directly under a hot platen.

One thing's for sure: Geo Knight needs to bring its website out of the 90s.

Last edited by RedHotFuzz; 6 Days Ago at 05:54 AM..

Old 6 Days Ago Oct 9, 2019 6:50:25 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Ziggy
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Is the Air Fusion out of the question? It is a different version of auto-open. Head pulls straight up, swing away and drawer function. But it's expensive.
seacookie likes this.

Old 6 Days Ago Oct 9, 2019 7:36:43 AM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy
Is the Air Fusion out of the question? It is a different version of auto-open. Head pulls straight up, swing away and drawer function. But it's expensive.

At this point, probably not within the price range I want to focus on. Maybe someday...

Old 6 Days Ago Oct 9, 2019 8:13:25 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Edward

i prefer swing-aways, if you have the room

i would go with the geo knight, made in the usa (they are the manufacturer)
stahls are sourced from china, which is not a bad thing necessarily (they are not the manufacturer)
but that is why when their manufacturer moves on in production, parts become unattainable

would you rather buy your steak direct from the rancher in montana , or order online from ebay?

Old 6 Days Ago Oct 9, 2019 8:19:58 AM -   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by into the T
would you rather buy your steak direct from the rancher in montana , or order online from ebay?

Well, I kinda assumed, based on pricing, that steaks from both Hotronix or GeoKnight are "direct from the rancher in Montana."

Old 6 Days Ago Oct 9, 2019 9:21:07 AM -   #13 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz
Well, I kinda assumed, based on pricing, that steaks from both Hotronix or GeoKnight are "direct from the rancher in Montana."
nope, as i mentioned hotronix is a re-labeled chinese brand
geo knight is the manufacturer

Old 6 Days Ago Oct 9, 2019 9:33:08 AM -   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by into the T
nope, as i mentioned hotronix is a re-labeled chinese brand

Hmm, right on the Hotronix website it says "Made in USA."

The Following User Says Thank You to RedHotFuzz For This Useful Post:
into the T (6 Days Ago)
Old 6 Days Ago Oct 9, 2019 12:29:55 PM -   #15 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

hmmmm.......

maybe i was thinking of their maxx presses, i thought for sure i had seen that the hotronix were chinese made

thanks for the info

This is a discussion about Hotronix vs Geo Knight? that was posted in the Heat Presses - Equipment section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in