Hix Presto 15 pressure issues - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > Heat Presses - Equipment
Discuss the different brands and sizes of heat presses available on the market, including Hix, GeoKnight, Hotronix, and other smaller manufacturers. Topics include maintenance, selection, styles and more.

Hix Presto 15 pressure issues

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By aPlusMan

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old October 16th, 2016 Oct 16, 2016 11:51:41 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

You can call me: JUSTIN
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Hix Presto 15 pressure issues

Rather than buying a cheap Chinese eBay or Amazon press (which is all my budget would allow for) I waited and searched and was able to get a used Hix Presto 15 clamshell press at a great price to use for tshirt heat transfers. Of course I was told it had no issues, except for possibly the springs being a bit work due to normal use. Being my first press I checked it out as best as I could before taking it. The upper platen stated in the upright position without issue so I think the springs are fine.
Well now that I've got it home, I'm noticing that even at the highest pressure setting (10) the pressure doesn't seem right. I tried putting some dollar bills in the press and clamped down, they are easily pulled out even when pressure is set to 10. In fact, I can see a visible gap between the upper platen and lower pad when it's clamped down. I can't figure any reason for this. Nothing's bent, tweaked, loose, or visibly worn.
Being new to presses I'm wondering what components can cause this problem?
I reached out to Hix support, haven't heard back yet.
I'm hoping I won't have to send it to Hix for repair as I think their website says they are in Kansas while I am in California.....shipping cost and just figuring out how to package and ship it would likely be a nightmare. So I'm hoping someone here can offer some input. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2016 Oct 16, 2016 1:44:06 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Edward
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default Re: Hix Presto 15 pressure issues

while you wait for response on a possible repair,
use teflon pillows to achieve even pressure

here is a site with a new spring arm for $13.31:
presto 13/15 parts

Old May 19th, 2020 May 19, 2020 9:23:46 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Anthony

Hey did you ever figure out your problem? Thinking of getting this press tomorrow, used as well.

Old May 20th, 2020 May 20, 2020 8:55:54 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aPlusMan
Hey did you ever figure out your problem? Thinking of getting this press tomorrow, used as well.
don't hold your breath on a response aPlusMan, that poster has not been back since nov. 2016

did you check that link above, they have all the parts you may need

$200 is a good deal, it looks to be in good shape
just get a digital kitchen timer and bob's your uncle!

i have attached the manual in case you get it and it does not come with one
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HIX PRESTO_15 manual.pdf (541.3 KB, 5 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to into the T For This Useful Post:
aPlusMan (May 20th, 2020)
Old May 20th, 2020 May 20, 2020 8:59:07 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Thanks into the T. I’m getting it for $200 CAD , seller says it works fine with no problems he just upgraded his equipment.

I’m gonna try out the pressure using a piece of paper but other than that what can I do to make sure I’m getting a functional unit? I don’t have a temp gun

Old May 20th, 2020 May 20, 2020 6:15:23 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aPlusMan
Thanks into the T. I’m getting it for $200 CAD , seller says it works fine with no problems he just upgraded his equipment.

I’m gonna try out the pressure using a piece of paper but other than that what can I do to make sure I’m getting a functional unit? I don’t have a temp gun
ask the seller to start cold and heat it up to 350f and wait for it to kick off
(the indicator light on the front middle of the bottom platen goes off and it should be audible as the current goes from 12 amps to 0)

if you have a kill-a-watt meter you can check the amperage/wattage

then ask if they can show its operation to you so you are comfortable with the adjustments
(you could even bring a blank tee with you and ask if they would not mind pressing something on it)

welcome to the club!

Old May 20th, 2020 May 20, 2020 9:20:09 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

I went through with it, met the guy, he pressed a shirt, I asked him questions about pressure etc, and I bought it.

Happy to say that I pressed my first shirt today
Thanks to all of you who helped me get here

This is a discussion about Hix Presto 15 pressure issues that was posted in the Heat Presses - Equipment section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in