Looking for high quality ink, transfer paper and printer - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > Heat Presses - Equipment
Discuss the different brands and sizes of heat presses available on the market, including Hix, GeoKnight, Hotronix, and other smaller manufacturers. Topics include maintenance, selection, styles and more.

Looking for high quality ink, transfer paper and printer

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RobertTSS

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old September 29th, 2014 Sep 29, 2014 11:26:49 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Looking for high quality ink, transfer paper and printer

So I've been posting for a few days now and people have been really helpful, just wanted to thank everyone first. I have a decent heat press at home planning to upgrade soon but I want to use better paper and ink to see how bad my press actually is.

Firstly, I've heard that inkjet transfers will wash away and Pigmented ink is the best for long lasting multicolored prints, is this true?

Assuming that pigmented ink is the way to go, what type of transfer paper is best? Heatpress.com has sublimation heat transfer paper which I thought were 2 different things (sublimation vs transfer paper)

Lastly still sticking to the pigmented ink theory what type of printer would be able to print high quality paper with the proper ink? Does anyone know of any companies that can print that for me? I would rather just buy the printer but all info is helpful.

I read that you can use pigment ink in an inkjet printer? Does that quality hold up or is it better to go with a specialty printer?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 29th, 2014 Sep 29, 2014 6:30:51 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Doc

Default Re: Looking for high quality ink, transfer paper and printer

IMO, JPSS (jet pro soft stretch) is the best inkjet printable transfer paper. You use that for lights. You can get many different types. Main thing is it has to be INKJET paper. Not ecosolvent, not laser or anything else. It's not like regular paper where you can put 'inkjet' paper in a laser printer or copier paper in an inkjet and it all is the same paper. This is all different.

Sublimation is completely different ink and paper. It offers a higher resolution but at higher ink cost and having to use frequently to keep the lines from clogging and having to use 100% polyester or high poly count.

There is also the option of having a company like Stahl's or many others print solvent transfers for you. Solvent printers are VERY expensive and also need to be worked and maintained much more than a basic inkjet. These are $8k-$20K printers. The ink is mostly uv resistant and it's what you see printed on billboards and outdoor signs. But it also makes great transfers.

They all print like an inkjet but solvent is completely different machine. You can run sublimation ink in a regular inkjet printer. People like Epson brand for inkjet pigment And I'm pretty sure you can get most of Epson's cartridges in sublimation ink.

Inkjet transfers have their place, but the image doesn't fade as much as it seems to lose intensity and blend in with the garment. Which I guess describes fading, but I just don't consider how it acts as fading.

The Following User Says Thank You to drdoct For This Useful Post:
olga1 (November 24th, 2017)
Old November 17th, 2014 Nov 17, 2014 7:54:57 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Yes you want pigment ink for the printer. Epson Printer.. Some other printers have pigment ink but many times its just the black. You need to call or ask the manuf. They don't always say that info on their spec sheets.

UV transfers are good small. Big they are heavy and feel stiff IMO. You can get samples. If you thinking of using those type and big full front chest or numbers ask for samples that are big. I got little ones felt great, ordered big ones and cursed them to heck and back.

Do they fade/washout/ start to crack. Yes. But so can screen prints.
How many times they been washed, washedand dryed harshly,
and other factors play in to that.

I hate JPSS. Never had any luck with it. Always get a yellow box around my design on a white shirt. Others like Imageclip. Others like this paper or that paper. THere is NO best paper othewise we all would be using it and the rest would be gone. One paper you buy at company A is reallly the same as Company B but sold under a different name.

Best to get samples and print and press for yourself.

Old November 18th, 2014 Nov 18, 2014 7:08:10 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Que
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I don't like to use inkjet paper but I recently used mclogans house brand for light and like it. it was a kids birthday shirts so it was only go be worn once and most likely put away.

Old November 18th, 2014 Nov 18, 2014 7:11:42 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Rob

McLogan's light ink-jet is very good. Jet-Pro SofStretch is made by Neenah Paper, which is the largest manufacturer of heat transfer papers in the world. The Jet-Pro SofStretch is generally well received, it's easy to use, you can peel hot or cold and after the first wash the box is almost undetectable. Best light ink-jet as far as we are concerned. For dark, if you like a matte finish, I would recommend the 3-G Opaque also made by Neenah Paper, if you prefer a glossy finish I would recommend the blue-gird. (called blue-grid because it literally comes with blue-grids on the back)
jillmans likes this.

Old June 12th, 2017 Jun 12, 2017 10:34:17 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: art

It depends- how big of a print are you making? Wide format Epson makes great printers with dye sub inks. Small printers Virtuoso made by Sawgrass and uses dye sub inks. We use the same paper in either printer for our photo quality products- Diamond Jet. We sell what we use- roll or sheets.

Old June 12th, 2017 Jun 12, 2017 11:27:36 AM -   #7 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mike
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Thanked 1,145 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgoditsart
It depends- how big of a print are you making? Wide format Epson makes great printers with dye sub inks. Small printers Virtuoso made by Sawgrass and uses dye sub inks. We use the same paper in either printer for our photo quality products- Diamond Jet. We sell what we use- roll or sheets.
This is not the dye sub section

Old June 14th, 2017 Jun 14, 2017 2:30:09 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: saeed

Hello everyone. I am lookinf for a good company that produces custom heat transfer paper. All the companies I have come across that are considered to be good companies do not ship outside of the US. If any of you know of such a company that ships to Europe or is based in Europe please let me know.

Thanks a lot,

Saeed

Old July 10th, 2017 Jul 10, 2017 8:13:25 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Former Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: TransferExpert

I know the best technology in market is 3 layers formula heat transfer paper, 400% transfer rate VS those 200% in the market, pretty good I use it several years ago.

Old November 24th, 2017 Nov 24, 2017 1:45:20 PM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulululu
I know the best technology in market is 3 layers formula heat transfer paper, 400% transfer rate VS those 200% in the market, pretty good I use it several years ago.
which machine is the best to purchase and what are thing to considered

This is a discussion about Looking for high quality ink, transfer paper and printer that was posted in the Heat Presses - Equipment section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in