Dry mount press as Heat press - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > Heat Presses - Equipment
Discuss the different brands and sizes of heat presses available on the market, including Hix, GeoKnight, Hotronix, and other smaller manufacturers. Topics include maintenance, selection, styles and more.

Dry mount press as Heat press

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old September 28th, 2014 Sep 28, 2014 12:05:28 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Joel
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Dry mount press as Heat press

Just like to share my experiment. Mystery solved! I asked the question on several post with no real answer that if an old inexpensive dry mount press used in photography mounting can work as heat press for vinyl HT or vice versa.

I saw a $20 Seal 110s model swing away heat press on craigslist, so, what a heck just buy it and try. Prior to purchase, I downloaded the manual and checked the specs. It's a swing away so no problem loading the shirts, It heats up to 350 degrees so you just can't do 3g opaques and HT that requires over 350 degrees. You can adjust up to 500 PSI of pressure (medium on Heat press is only 40 PSI. Plus I saw a DIY that build a heat press from a griddle. Or use an iron the press vinyl. Technically this should work!...

Conclusion: It does work and the only problem is not enough heat. Or maybe modify or replace the thermostat and push it's limits.

I cranked it at 350 degrees, got my Infrared digital thermometer gun and measured the heat platen. It only measured up to 270 degrees max. Not sure if the thermostat of the one I got is messed up or I should leave it on longer. When I closed the lid the thermostat light turns off when temperature is reached. Obiously, if the thermostat is functioning like it should, then it should work.

I pressed an old shirt with scrap Siser easyweed with assortment of regular, glitter, & metallic for 15 seconds and all of them adhered like it is supposed to.

After several washes then my experiment will be complete. Which I will post it in a few months.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 28th, 2014 Sep 28, 2014 2:46:59 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Default Re: Dry mount press as Heat press

By the way, sorry that this topic was post at DIY DTG area but I don't have a clue on how to change it.

OK, I did my research. I got to a dry mounting forum that discussed how to adjust the thermostat to the right temperature and it's as simple as turning a small screw driver counter clockwise in the bottom of the thermostat knob. I can even make the 350 degree mark to do 375 or 400 degrees if I want.

So the result:

Dry mount "swing away" presses can be used as heat press for HT vinyls. It will be difficult for those clam types because of safety issues like burning your hand while loading shirts. Bottom line--it works!

Old October 17th, 2014 Oct 17, 2014 9:59:36 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Finally adjusted the thermostat.
Here's the instructions:
1. Set the thermostat knob to 200 degrees.
2. Turn the heat press switch to On and let it sit until the amber thermostat light turns off (approximately 8-15 minutes). (heat platen resting on the pad but not locked)
3. Loosen the screw on the back of the knob and pull up the knob without changing the temp settings.
4. with a flat tip mini screw driver, insert it on the hole on top of the stem of the adjusting knob, turning it slowly to feel the screw slot. With the help of a locking needle nose pliers, hold the temp setting then turn the screw driver counter-clockwise, quarter at a time, amber light will turn on, wait until the amber light turns off then measure the temp. I used those glasses screw driver. Luckily my tool has an adjustable/ removable tip so I can extend it longer. It's about 1.5" deep.
5. repeat #4, until you reached 200 degrees. Your heat press is now calibrated!

Old October 17th, 2014 Oct 17, 2014 10:25:33 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I placed a shirt just to test the fit. (Yes, that is an original Nike shirt just to test). The platen is only 12 x 15 on this photo mounting press. With a $4 laser marker from HF.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1278.JPG (1.49 MB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1279.JPG (1.48 MB, 20 views)

Old August 15th, 2018 Aug 15, 2018 9:48:31 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thank you so much for sharing!!! My dad has had a dry mounting and laminating press in his garage that he bought YEARS ago. He said "maybe someday it will come in handy" and i recently started making tshirts and i use an iron for now ... I need to buy a real heat press soon ... but for now this will do until i save up for one

Old August 15th, 2018 Aug 15, 2018 9:50:08 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by isel
Thank you so much for sharing!!! My dad has had a dry mounting and laminating press in his garage that he bought YEARS ago. He said "maybe someday it will come in handy" and i recently started making tshirts and i use an iron for now ... I need to buy a real heat press soon ... but for now this will do until i save up for one
.....oh and i forgot to add... my dad had no idea what drymount press was, so the story is even better lol

Old October 29th, 2018 Oct 29, 2018 10:20:03 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

The only issue i see will be that you need high pressure for good results.

Old October 29th, 2018 Oct 29, 2018 11:24:56 AM -   #8 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Ed
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Thanked 1,194 Times in 1,114 Posts

Welcome to the Forum. Nice to have you with us.

This is a discussion about Dry mount press as Heat press that was posted in the Heat Presses - Equipment section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in