Whats better 20x16 vs 16x20 vs 16x24 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > Heat Presses - Equipment
Discuss the different brands and sizes of heat presses available on the market, including Hix, GeoKnight, Hotronix, and other smaller manufacturers. Topics include maintenance, selection, styles and more.

Whats better 20x16 vs 16x20 vs 16x24

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old February 2nd, 2011 Feb 2, 2011 3:17:25 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Lorenzo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Whats better 20x16 vs 16x20 vs 16x24

Hello all
Been a long time, Business is good.

I want to upgrade from a swing arm 11.5x15 to a larger press. Doing a lot of vapor shirts and large transfers,

I upgraded my printer awhile back. Epson 1400 .
I'm looking at clamshell heat press to do a single press 13x19 plus sizes. I have never used one.

It looks like a clamshell could cause some problems when laying a shirt???
If you have a wide shirt. lets say 5x.

where would the excess of the shirt lay?? If you put it one way, your collar seam will be under the platen. The other way the shirt side seam will crunch up against the back
( power unit ) Without the help of a pad.
With the swing arm, Lots of room for shirt to hang over edge.

Sorry but I have to go cheep. looking at $400.00.
I started cheep and it is working for now. I do lot of other custom work too. mugs,Vinyl. Large photo prints, own a Epson 4800 Nice.

Let me get back on track. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say? Never having to use one.

I will be getting one I'm sure either way.
Those who have used them. What is better? and why?
20x16
16x20
16x24

Although if their is a swing away this size in that price rang maybe someone can point me to it.

Thank you for your time and help from the past to now and the future.

I will get back here asap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 2nd, 2011 Feb 2, 2011 3:25:31 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: irv
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

Default Re: Whats better 20x16 vs 16x20 vs 16x24

I use a 16x20 for most of my jobs. I have a 15x15 and hate it. I do sizes up to 6x, but ver seldom go past my 16x20 size. but for the time that I do it is more in length. The next point is access. So my recommendation is swing or draw 16x24. Because of the price I am still waiting but I know what I want, at least.

The Following User Says Thank You to idonaldson For This Useful Post:
GiftsUnited (February 2nd, 2011)
Old February 2nd, 2011 Feb 2, 2011 3:58:11 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Nick
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I too use a 16X20. I think its about the perfect size. 24" deep might be a bit long, especially if you do hoodies.

Good luck!
Nick

Old February 2nd, 2011 Feb 2, 2011 3:59:12 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Thank you for quick reply
I too do more in length then width.
No problems centering the trans on shirt without bunching up shirt?

Thank again

Old February 2nd, 2011 Feb 2, 2011 4:05:00 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

is a forum sponsor who has contributed over 1000 helpful posts in the forums!

You can call me: Steven
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Tough to find a quality press in that size with the features you want. If possible I would save and get the fusion that would allow you to thread your garments onto the platen and save you from having all the excess material in the press.

Old February 2nd, 2011 Feb 2, 2011 4:41:03 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Thanked 2,521 Times in 2,239 Posts

A 20 X 16 is just a 16 X 20 sideways.

Collars are not an issue unless you are pressing really small sizes. Certainly not an issue with a 5X

Where are you finding 16 X 24's for $400?

Old February 3rd, 2011 Feb 3, 2011 2:06:12 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Hello again,
I tried to write this morning. But something went wrong and it did not go through.
What I wanted to say. Looking at the press's I'm looking at. I don't see a profile view. It looks as though the platen backs up to the control panel. No room for overhang of the shirt if needed.
Anyway here are the two I am looking at.

First the 16x24
T-Shirt Heat Transfer Press Sublimation Machine 16 x 24 - eBay (item 220733240963 end time Feb-04-11 03:50:49 PST)

16X24 SUBLIMATION DIGITAL HEAT PRESS MACHINE TRANSFER - eBay (item 120613632832 end time Feb-21-11 12:33:01 PST)

Now the 20x16
20"x16" T-Shirt Heat Press Digital Control 2010 New - eBay (item 300496812079 end time Feb-22-11 10:05:34 PST)

I have not desided what one to get. I'm leaning to the 20x16. But the 16x20 and 16x24 are slightly cheaper and as splathead said, it is just sideways. I am considering the 16x24 though. I don't want to have to buy a bigger one down the road, Just a better one. Things are picking up now. Hoping one of these cheap presses will work as good as my cheap press I have now. Then one day buy a very good one.

I will will buy one tonight I'm sure. Maybe early morning.
Thanks for everyone help :-)

Old February 8th, 2011 Feb 8, 2011 2:31:18 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Was reading your post...what did you get,we were looking at the same ones

Old February 8th, 2011 Feb 8, 2011 3:30:04 PM -   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Hello,
I went with this one 16x24
T-Shirt Heat Transfer Pr...

It's do in tomorrow 02/09/11. I will post what I think of it asap.

My thought was and still is.
Go bigger for now. I will go better later.
I know sometimes bigger is not always better. Neither is cheaper.

I hope it is this time. I print 13x19 most times and do vinyl.
I sell my vapor shirts med to xL $18.00 $21.00 for 2x and up front or back. They sell very well.

I want to give people more for their money with ease.
I also buy stock prints and press. Some of them are very large.
I want to stop screwing up the shirts trying to
Press and turn and press. Most times good.
Other times not so good, also costly.

I use trans spray 11 from conde, it helps
I like to set my shirt up on a table & T-Square. Then little spray on print and set.
Move(carry) to press. The spay helps keep it centered wile moving. The glue wash's off.

I'll like it better now, I hope. One single press. NO TURNING!

Good luck on your choice. I'll try to get back to let everyone know what I think of this press.

Old February 8th, 2011 Feb 8, 2011 4:16:27 PM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

thank you,we will be looking forward to hearing your review.

Old February 9th, 2011 Feb 9, 2011 3:46:38 PM -   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

My thoughts on this unit. Here16x24 It was shipped fast.

First off it is a big and heavy unit! be sure to have help moving the box around. Very well Packed.
Dose list as 80lbs. Not bad to lift after it's out of the box's.

Second note: I am going from a all in one press. Mugs,shirts 11.5x15,caps,plates. and c120 printer.
This is all cheap stuff.

I have made the money to buy. A Mug Pro, A Epson 1400 13x19 printer. A Epson 4800 17x22 printer,
A US Cutter laser Plotter < Okay, But will get a better one, Want better accurate print cut.>
and now this upgrade to 16x24 press. amongst other things.

The good,

It's cheap.
I believe for me. It will suit my purpose. Make money and grow, Then buy better later, A must.

I did some samples. It seems to work great. I did a full 13x19 color chart. Also a couple images.

Their is a gap that I could not see in the photo that started me writing this thread.
It's the gap between the platen and the control panel. I seen no profile image.
The gap is close to 2in. This will allow the overhang I was concerned about.

Easy depth adjustments

The bad,

The hand grip is very cheap. Wow!! Very soft and cheap feeling. They should firm the grip with a nice rubber hand grip. Not a cheap piece of foam pad. It will be modified soon.

Setting the timer also NOT the best.
You must turn on and close the press. The timer will only then light up. Set your time one push at a time until you reach your desired time. Then wait for blinking to stop before doing anything else. Your time is then set. Now you can open press. This could be standerd. Never owend a clamshell.

Set temp, It will blink and then stop.

If you need to change the press time any time in between. Like doing a t-shirt. Then going to lets say a tile.
You will have to close the platen. See the timer light. Set time. wait for blinking to stop. Then open and proceed. Temp can be set before or after.

To me. To be expected. for hard press. Sometime a little bit dificult to open without having to hold on to it.
Well really, Find the best position to pull handle up, Just takes a little practice.

Other thought's

Although I am going to mount it to the table. One will have to make a strap or bracket to hold it in place.
I am going to make a bracket. Mount it to table. Then slide the press into the bracket.

Or I may put a cut in my work table on each side. Then run a small rachet strap around front base of unit.Just to hold the front down. Their is no mounting hardware or location to mount. I know I will come up with something.

Something else. I will find out later. The nice thing is the bottom pad can be lifted.
When looking at the platen and the pad when closed. Their is a gap in the corners.
I can slide a piece of paper a couple inches back. I believe I will have to shim the pad.

So. These are my thoughts at this time. First impression after open and testing.
Only had it a couples hrs before this post.

As long as it don't burn up on me or stop working. I think I will be okay.
If anything goes wrong. I will be sure to post. I have a small job coming up soon.
If this disappoints me. I will sure let everyone know!

I have a long way to go. I have been doing this for couple years. But only really got going last year.
I still consider myself a beginner. Lots to learn..

YOU WILL get disgusted at times and want to give up. specially sublimation. Getting the right color's, Even with the icc profile can make your hare turn gray. Well, I don't have any now. This may have contributed.lol
Most anyone can do it. Number 1 Tip. Be patient!!!!!
Truth, Sometimes I just have to walk away for a little while.
Anyway. It's fun! when it all comes together.
Just remember to throw something other then your equipment!! It will save you in the long run.

One other note. I also do believe that If you have the resources to go with the better equipment.
Then do it.

I want to thank everyone for your input. I Love this forum. LOT'S OF INFO

Old February 9th, 2011 Feb 9, 2011 3:50:10 PM -   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Sorry other link not working. Try this one.
If not look up eBay T-Shirt Heat Transfer Press Sublimation Machine 16 x 24

Old February 9th, 2011 Feb 9, 2011 4:40:09 PM -   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thanks, please keep us informed on you thoughts,as we have been looking at the same one.
THANKS again

Old February 10th, 2011 Feb 10, 2011 5:54:13 AM -   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Great thread, please keep us posted on how the machine works for you, as a few of us are also interested in the same machine.

Old February 19th, 2011 Feb 19, 2011 10:34:03 AM -   #15 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Sorry for the delay. I'm still here.
Here is what I think at this point.

I like it. but with some comments.

I believe the setting the timer with platen closed is ok. If you are limted to space. it allows for easy reach without getting burned.

I got a hold of 1" pipe insulation. It's a nice firm foam. I admit I did it quick. I just raped it around and taped it. Primitive but affective. A nice soft firm grip. If you have small hands. I would take the existing foam off then replace with the new firm foam. I'm sure there is other material's that is just as effective. I just had a small piece laying around.

My table is 30 inches high. another 5 or 7 inches I think would be better working under the hot platen. This is just me. I think it would be easier setting up the shirt. If you get any clamshell I think you will see what I mean.

I felt I had to adjust my time. I will do more testing. I used to do my vapor shirts at 380 for 70 sec.
After doing a shirt and it was light in transfer. It could have been a bad shirt or something changed.
I now do at 380 for 90 firm sec.

Also I had one shirt come out with a spot that look like not enough heat on it, Is it the platen, paper,
I can't say at this point without a laser tester. I have to see if they will allow me to borrow one from work.

Then I did a second shirt. But this time I threw down a clean but use t-shirt on bottom platen. A pain sometime because the bottom shirt bunches up and have to straiten out nicely under the hot platen.
fills in the crevices, I think? all my shirts are coming out good now. Again I have not tried without the t-shirt on the bottom platen,

Although, I did do other shirts without. they came out good. I just don't want to take a chance.

(I have a idea on working under the hot platen. I'll get back to you on that)

I did fasten down yet. But I am. I found for now to open without touching the platen and burning yourself.
Just use a glove if you do. I have leather work gloves I use.

I find that placing the one hand on the handle(of course) the other hand pushing firmly on the top of the back hinge just behind the handle works good.( what the handle is attached to)

Well got to go to work. As I said I'm beginning to like my press more and more.
As long as it don't malfunction!

One other note. Make sure you have at least a 20amp beaker. You might get away with a 15 amp with nothing else running on it. I have my printer's always on and my laptop on the line. at about 300-340 it trips it. I will fix that soon too.

I have more. But no more time right now..
See Ya

This is a discussion about Whats better 20x16 vs 16x20 vs 16x24 that was posted in the Heat Presses - Equipment section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in