Finding my feet with a heat press - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers

Heat Press and Heat Transfer Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of heat press technology. Transfer paper, inks, plastisol transfers, vinyl cutters, printers, commercial usage, durability, suppliers, etc.

Finding my feet with a heat press

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old 2 Weeks Ago Jan 22, 2020 6:21:20 PM -   #1 (permalink)
afb
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Finding my feet with a heat press

Hi everyone,

Spent the last hour searching and reading the forum to see if the answers i needed were already posted but wanted to get a bit more advice.

I've just recently got a heat press - [url]https://www.xpres.co.uk/p-7924-swing-heat-press-20-x-15.aspx[/url] and i am doing local football (soccer) team attire based on my contacts with family.

The logo's for the team are embroidered patches from China and it's just a simple logo to garment process.

The problem i'm having is that i haven't been told the settings for different fabrics so it's just a try and fail system but the bigger problem i have is that i haven't got that much stock to keep trying.

The vast majority are polyester and i'm getting the problem of the square/rectangle shape on the shirts when pressed.

The temperature i have been using is 150c (300 degrees) for 20 seconds but no matter how high or low i go with both temperature and time it is still the same.

My question is to experienced heat pressers is if i am only using a small area (sports team logo size) on the shirt, should i get the similar size platen? Will this eradicate the shiny mark or will it just reduce it?

Any help appreciated and also on any temperature/time settings.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago Jan 22, 2020 6:37:02 PM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Thanked 1,278 Times in 1,048 Posts

Default Re: Finding my feet with a heat press

I think you are asking too many questions in one post. For patches they normally have a glue on the back but may not be perm. you should sew those around the edge. Because you are pressing on poly shirts, a cover like a teflon or silicon sheet might help as well as a teflon pillow.

Pictures would help with what you are doing and what you are getting in results.

Old 2 Weeks Ago Jan 22, 2020 7:50:10 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Jeremy
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Perhaps you could try a low tack tape to hold the emblem to the garment and also tape something on top of the emblem (like a piece of old mouse mat or similar) then turn the garment inside out for pressing. The mouse mat will create a space/void for the surrounding material to fall into. This will also provide a more direct & even transfer of heat to the glue & garment.

As Binki says, sewing as well is probably mandatory for a long term solution.

Old 2 Weeks Ago Jan 23, 2020 10:53:27 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

It is unclear to me if you are doing a heat transfer or a sewn on patch.
It is unclear to me if the decor has a adhesive that needs to be heat cured to the substrate.
I would suggest viewing the videos on Stahls to find some clues to what you may need. They have a good materials guide and may provide alternatives to the Great Chinese Unknown.
Stahls.com/help-education

This is a discussion about Finding my feet with a heat press that was posted in the Heat Press and Heat Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in