Best methods for cleaning teflon and platens? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers

Heat Press and Heat Transfer Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of heat press technology. Transfer paper, inks, plastisol transfers, vinyl cutters, printers, commercial usage, durability, suppliers, etc.

Best methods for cleaning teflon and platens?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old 1 Week Ago Aug 13, 2019 1:21:49 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Best methods for cleaning teflon and platens?

After a year of burning knuckles on a clam shell press, we just bought a 16"x20" swing away. (Heat Press Nation Black Series) Our first project was dye sub transfer to yellow poly shirts. Yellow. So now we have a bunch of yellow dye that has migrated from the shirts to the upper platen. I wasn't involved, and the operator swears she was using teflon every time. Moving on.

I tried wiping off the upper platen with alcohol and even some HTV remover when still hot. I'm not getting anything off, but if we put anything white in the press now, it still has yellow transferred to it. I can also see yellow dye that has condensed on the sides of the upper (not heated area) of the platen. What is the best thing to clean the press with? Can I also clean the teflon sheet or should I mark them and only use those for other yellow or black items?

I'm also now confused on how to prevent this happening again. If I got a platen cover, wouldn't that just have dye transferred to it? Do I just use new parchment paper top an bottom for every pressing? That seems expensive. Open for suggestions, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago Aug 13, 2019 9:43:04 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Amw
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Marsha & Tony
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default Re: Best methods for cleaning teflon and platens?

For cleaning the heat platen.

EZ Off hot iron cleaner (runs $6-$10)

Fusing Machine Cleaner ($10-$20)

We use new paper on every product pressed. Yes it costs money, but the customer is paying for it. Really not much cost either, we buy it in large rolls for cheap.
If the cost of the paper is hurting your profits, you are not charging enough.

The Following User Says Thank You to Amw For This Useful Post:
SasiDesign (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago Aug 13, 2019 1:30:14 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Just friendly & helpful

Get a platen slip cover for it ,and also parchment paper for covering the design when pressing,It will add extra protection and its much cheaper for the parchment. I buy it by the roll for walmart. Contact Sthals.com for possible advice for cleaning the platen. They may have a instant solution.

Old 1 Week Ago Aug 13, 2019 2:02:20 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Amw
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Marsha & Tony
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippin decals
Get a platen slip cover for it ,and also parchment paper for covering the design when pressing,It will add extra protection and its much cheaper for the parchment. I buy it by the roll for walmart. Contact Sthals.com for possible advice for cleaning the platen. They may have a instant solution.
Those are what Stahls and Geo Knight recommend, as well as more or less all other manufactures that I have seen.

For example...order Geo Knight part number: TEF-CLEAN ($18 + shipping) and what you will get is a can of Fusing Machine Cleaner.

Have used both on all our presses and they work well. However the best thing you can do is keep it from getting dirty in the first place.

Old 1 Week Ago Aug 14, 2019 12:27:22 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thanks for the replies. If I get a slip cover, won't that also get dye on it? I need a better deal on paper I guess.

Old 1 Week Ago Aug 15, 2019 8:11:46 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Just friendly & helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by SasiDesign
Thanks for the replies. If I get a slip cover, won't that also get dye on it? I need a better deal on paper I guess.

Walmart sells the Parchment paper by the roll ,I think 70 feet x 17inches wide for like 7$. Its what i use when i do my Printable heat transfers.It will be by the aluminum foil.

Old 1 Week Ago Aug 15, 2019 7:16:22 PM -   #7 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Thanked 1,231 Times in 1,003 Posts

Use a lint free cloth like the Scots blue disposable towels.
Graphix Gone adhesive remover.
Finish with isopropyl alcohol.

Use a clean towel for both the Graphix Gone and the alcohol. Cleans in just a few seconds and the alcohol removes any residue. Works on the platen and teflon.

Go ahead and get 2 teflon bras. One for the bottom and one for the top.

This is a discussion about Best methods for cleaning teflon and platens? that was posted in the Heat Press and Heat Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in