Too bad about The Wildside - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers

Heat Press and Heat Transfer Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of heat press technology. Transfer paper, inks, plastisol transfers, vinyl cutters, printers, commercial usage, durability, suppliers, etc.

Too bad about The Wildside

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Zippy Doodah
  • 1 Post By proworlded
  • 1 Post By pippin decals

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 4th, 2019 Jun 4, 2019 10:36:24 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Randy
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Too bad about The Wildside

Today I received the bad news in my email. The Wildside, manufacter of heat transfers now owned by Stahls, is going out of business. Rather Stahls is shutting them down, from what I read in the email. I was around in the 70's and 80's when heat transfers were the big thing and Shirt Shops were more prevalent than coffee houses. It all imploded at the end of the 80's but was miraculously revived with the "slacker" generation shopping at thrift stores and priding themselves in wearing t-shirts with old dilapidated and distressed heat transfers. Then in the late 90's as people were looking for something unique to sell online, they turned to 20 year old stashes of heat transfers and lauding them as Vintage started a trend, again. Was anybody ever successful in applying one of those dried out Shawn Cassidy or David Hasselhoff transfers on a shirt? hahaha And The Wildside was there for the next 40 years innovating and creating some of the most Cool heat applied graphics around. Using new technology and some good 'ol plastisol ink, the heat transfer was re-born and introduced to an entire new generation of t-shirt wearers. Wow!! what a ride! And as things come around, so do they trend out of fashion. But, not entirely this time as the innovation of media to create custom on the spot t-shirts, is still alive and well. Honestly, I hope this isn't the last we hear of The Wildside.
PatWibble likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 5th, 2019 Jun 5, 2019 12:12:59 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Pat
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default Re: Too bad about The Wildside

I remember the shirt shops of the 70's and 80's.

You would think that someone would have come up with a way to provide the range digitaly online, on a pay per use basis, for the DTG shops.

Old June 5th, 2019 Jun 5, 2019 3:15:16 AM -   #3 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Ed
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Thanked 1,185 Times in 1,105 Posts

Being their largest customer, and only real distributor, for 40 +/- years has resulted in a major shock to us as well. We have been in communication and hope to have some resolution soon.
jono1 likes this.

Last edited by splathead; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:20 PM.. Reason: Removed self-promotion blurb

Old June 5th, 2019 Jun 5, 2019 10:21:42 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Just friendly & helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by proworlded
Being their largest customer, and only real distributor, for 40 +/- years has resulted in a major shock to us as well. We have been in communication and hope to have some resolution soon. Stay tuned! BTW, we still have inventory on over 1000 of their designs.

I hope you are able to get their image library and continue . I loved the quality and color of the images. Even tho i did have a issue with one design that wasnt transferring a small section of the design which wasnt a real big deal to me but would raise concern to a customer. Hope to see a good outcome on this closure .
jono1 likes this.

Old June 5th, 2019 Jun 5, 2019 10:09:51 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatWibble
I remember the shirt shops of the 70's and 80's.

You would think that someone would have come up with a way to provide the range digitaly online, on a pay per use basis, for the DTG shops.
actually that would not have been a good idea. They were always battling the knockoff DTG printers from both China and the USA. Their business is the art and they are not about to give it away.

Old June 5th, 2019 Jun 5, 2019 10:20:03 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Today, I talked to my friend who worked at The Wildside for over 10 years and he said nobody saw it coming. It seems the employees were just dumped without any notice. Really strange to have this happen the way it did. Seems like Ted got pissed off at something and decided to sabotage the whole show. Rent on the building was going up and payroll in California is getting ridiculous, compared to Michigan or Arizona and we hypothesized about that. Most of the employees are looking for other jobs so they don't expect anything to happen. Also, I heard someone made sure all the art work was taken out of the building before anyone knew what was going on. So, you never know, the transfers could pop up on TransferXpress. You never know

The Following User Says Thank You to Zippy Doodah For This Useful Post:
pippin decals (June 6th, 2019)
Old June 5th, 2019 Jun 5, 2019 11:56:54 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Bob
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy Doodah
actually that would not have been a good idea. They were always battling the knockoff DTG printers from both China and the USA. Their business is the art and they are not about to give it away.
That's exactly how it is. The art is what people are buying, and if you sell it in a digital form, DTG printers (including the Chinese) will buy it once and print as many copies as possible, for as low as possible. Selling the printed transfers is much safer.
By the way, from October 17 this year, Chinese sellers will be in big trouble as the US is withdrawing from the universal postal union. They were allowed to abuse the system for way too long. Get ready people... Demand should increase substantially this year.

The Following User Says Thank You to TABOB For This Useful Post:
Zippy Doodah (June 6th, 2019)
Old June 6th, 2019 Jun 6, 2019 1:02:02 AM -   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Adem

I was shocked too. I was going to place a custom transfer order and about to send my layout. They also had several stock designs which I used to sell online and now I won't be able to sell them anymore. I tried to reach them to buy all of their stock for these designs but I couldn't get in touch with them. Their website says contact Jasmin but she doesn't respond.
Now I'm looking for a place to order custom transfers but couldn't find any place close to Wildside in terms of pricing and customer service. They will be missed for sure!

Old June 6th, 2019 Jun 6, 2019 4:42:52 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Bob
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ademt
I was shocked too. I was going to place a custom transfer order and about to send my layout. They also had several stock designs which I used to sell online and now I won't be able to sell them anymore. I tried to reach them to buy all of their stock for these designs but I couldn't get in touch with them. Their website says contact Jasmin but she doesn't respond.
Now I'm looking for a place to order custom transfers but couldn't find any place close to Wildside in terms of pricing and customer service. They will be missed for sure!
Maybe I should start selling transfers. They are really easy to make. I'll think about it...

Old June 6th, 2019 Jun 6, 2019 4:46:27 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TABOB
That's exactly how it is. The art is what people are buying, and if you sell it in a digital form, DTG printers (including the Chinese) will buy it once and print as many copies as possible, for as low as possible. Selling the printed transfers is much safer.
By the way, from October 17 this year, Chinese sellers will be in big trouble as the US is withdrawing from the universal postal union. They were allowed to abuse the system for way too long. Get ready people... Demand should increase substantially this year.
A long time over due. Glad to see it happen. Even a little company like us were getting ripped off on Amazon. They even stole our UPC codes. They have no shame!! hahaha

Old 3 Weeks Ago Jun 21, 2019 3:29:20 PM -   #11 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Thanked 1,227 Times in 999 Posts

I was in downtown LA today to pick up some rhinestones and the owner of Nio Apparel said WildSide was her biggest customer. The rhinestone designs all came from her. If you are looking for those you can find her at 1224 S. San Julian St #3, Los Angeles CA 90015 or www.nioapparel.com and email neoapparel.com 213-765-3499.

Old 2 Weeks Ago Jun 27, 2019 8:48:26 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by binki
I was in downtown LA today to pick up some rhinestones and the owner of Nio Apparel said WildSide was her biggest customer. The rhinestone designs all came from her. If you are looking for those you can find her at 1224 S. San Julian St #3, Los Angeles CA 90015 or www.nioapparel.com and email neoapparel.com 213-765-3499.
Well, The Wildside may have purchased rhinestone designs from them, but the majority of their rhinestone transfer inventory came direct from China. I have seen the containers.

Old 2 Weeks Ago Jun 28, 2019 10:48:58 AM -   #13 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Thanked 1,227 Times in 999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy Doodah
Well, The Wildside may have purchased rhinestone designs from them, but the majority of their rhinestone transfer inventory came direct from China. I have seen the containers.

Yes they are.

Old 4 Days Ago Jul 11, 2019 6:44:11 AM -   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: michael

Was shocked as everyone else. Had my order ready to go and there it is an email saying so sorry. I miss talking to Jenifer, Great lady to deal with always helpfull and looked forward to seeing her at the iss in january. Now i have a shop full of graphics that I guess i'll use until I run out. In the begining I used Pro World it had a good selection. I am always happy about using Art Brands the staff there is helpful and the pricing is similar to Wildside.

Old 4 Days Ago Jul 11, 2019 6:48:50 AM -   #15 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Ed
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Thanked 1,185 Times in 1,105 Posts

Michael. Just curious. How is AB pricing similar?

This is a discussion about Too bad about The Wildside that was posted in the Heat Press and Heat Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in