plastisol heat transfer? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers

Heat Press and Heat Transfer Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of heat press technology. Transfer paper, inks, plastisol transfers, vinyl cutters, printers, commercial usage, durability, suppliers, etc.

plastisol heat transfer?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old November 14th, 2006 Nov 14, 2006 11:14:06 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default plastisol heat transfer?

i got a question about plastisol transfer.

okay, so about this method.
how does the print feel when it is on the t-shirt? is it similar to direct screenprint?

the only type of heat transfer i've done is the type used with inkjet printers. and i personally think that print is lame--the designs crack and its peel off. so i was just wondering if plastisol heat transfer gives good quality prints.

heat transfers keep reminding me of my lame print that peels and cracks. but when i came across plastisol transfers, it got me thinking...

is this similar to the "iron on heat transfer" method when it comes to quality prints?

thanks for taking time to read this. hopefully i made sense..and hopefully i get some responses!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2006 Nov 15, 2006 2:52:31 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Default Re: plastisol heat transfer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isla_Print
is this similar to the "iron on heat transfer" method when it comes to quality prints?!
in general yes.

we have made 100's of thousands of all types of transfers for newbies and major brands over the years. When made right, you can sleep at night.

The Following User Says Thank You to T-BOT For This Useful Post:
Isa Sadiq (May 22nd, 2012)
Old November 15th, 2006 Nov 15, 2006 9:09:48 AM -   #3 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

badalou's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lou

Red face Re: plastisol heat transfer?

I am wearing a black Hoodie with my plastisol web name made for me by the company Lucy's works with spot98.net. This has been washed at least 10 times and it looks the same as the day I placed it on the hoodie. Forgive me I forgaot my hat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02174.JPG (159.8 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg ineedtees1.jpg (53.2 KB, 193 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to badalou For This Useful Post:
Isa Sadiq (May 22nd, 2012)

Old November 15th, 2006 Nov 15, 2006 9:52:59 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

T-BOT misquoted, I think. Plastisol transfers are very similar quality to a direct screen print when done correctly.

However, I'll also note that the quality of normal heat transfers isn't nearly as bad as it used to be either, as long as you are using quality materials and equipment.

Old November 15th, 2006 Nov 15, 2006 10:57:55 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Member

well the transfer i did printed everything. i ended up with a white background that i didnt want. and after the wash, the transfered print cracked...

where to find good quality plastisol transfers? any tips?
i've browse around before, but all i found was sites offering to make custom transfer. im looking for something i can screenprint my own designs on.

Old November 15th, 2006 Nov 15, 2006 11:01:28 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,031 Times in 3,228 Posts

www.boo-zwearhouse.com sells the actual paper that you would use to screen print your designs on (if you have your own screen printing equipment)

Plastisol transfers shouldn't leave a white background on the image. That sounds more like an opaque transfer printed from a home inkjet printer.

Old November 15th, 2006 Nov 15, 2006 12:54:13 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Twinge: how does the print feel when it is on the t-shirt? is it similar to direct screenprint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-BOT
in general yes.

we have made 100's of thousands of all types of transfers for newbies and major brands over the years. When made right, you can sleep at night.
There are various types of release papers.

Old November 16th, 2006 Nov 16, 2006 2:36:54 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Lisa

Release papers or transfer papers? Is there a difference? I thought when usig your home printer you use transfer paper and they always leave a little bit, that is why you cut as close to the design as possible. I thought release papers, don't leave anything. Can you buy those for at home stuff?

Old November 16th, 2006 Nov 16, 2006 4:20:10 AM -   #9 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: David
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgiglio1
Release papers or transfer papers? Is there a difference? I thought when usig your home printer you use transfer paper and they always leave a little bit, that is why you cut as close to the design as possible. I thought release papers, don't leave anything. Can you buy those for at home stuff?
I think some folks are talking about two completely different printed transfers and techniques as Rodney mentioned.

1. Digital transfers or transfers printed on your printer such as an Epson 1280 or c88 use transfer paper. Usually one for lites and an opaque for dark shirts. The transfers need to be trimmed to acheive less border around the printed image. If not trimmed the entire paper will press to the shirt.

2. Plastisol transfers or transfers printed by screenprinters use a release paper. The transfers are printed with plastisol inks onto the release paper and when pressed only the image stays on the shirt. There is no window and no trimming involved with release paper.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MotoskinGraphix For This Useful Post:
craftystylez (June 20th, 2012), k_rose08 (May 25th, 2012)
Old November 16th, 2006 Nov 16, 2006 9:32:01 AM -   #10 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

thanks for the clarification David.

...on the trasnfer paper "types" topic, has anyone yet used or know more about a transfer release paper for plastisol that is clear, sort of like the vinyl flex carrier, but thiner ?

Old November 16th, 2006 Nov 16, 2006 9:43:30 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney
Plastisol transfers shouldn't leave a white background on the image. That sounds more like an opaque transfer printed from a home inkjet printer.
That is indeed what they were reffering to, I believe. They were replying to my comment about improvements in heat transfer technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isla_Print
well the transfer i did printed everything. i ended up with a white background that i didnt want. and after the wash, the transfered print cracked...
I agree that the quality of opaque transfers is subpar. They weren't up to our quality standards so we don't use them at all, though they still are basically the only way to do a multi-color print on just a few shirts.

I was more referring to transfer paper made for light shirts, such as the Magic Jet or IronAll papers. These transfers are high quality and will last a long time on white/ash shirts. Plastisol transfers will still be a bit higher quality, but you can do any number of colors and single/small runs with transfer paper (and not plastisol).

Old June 17th, 2007 Jun 17, 2007 1:09:55 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Ralf

Just to add my 2 centavos worth, I have lots of success with custom made one color heat transfers of my designs, which I press on to all color shirts with a Hix heat press. Lucy's company does some of them, while FM Expressions (Zach) does the rest. The transfers are printed in the US and Canada where the companies are located and UPS delivers them to my shop here in southern Mexico.

The quality is as good as, if not better than, what my silkscreeners were doing for me before. End result: greatly reduced inventory of printed shirts, mucho more flexibility in choosing design/color/size combinations for the client and the finished shirts hold up better than the silkscreened ones.

Saludos to all from Mexico!

Ralf

Old May 25th, 2012 May 25, 2012 10:52:18 PM -   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Kay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoskinGraphix
I think some folks are talking about two completely different printed transfers and techniques as Rodney mentioned.

1. Digital transfers or transfers printed on your printer such as an Epson 1280 or c88 use transfer paper. Usually one for lites and an opaque for dark shirts. The transfers need to be trimmed to acheive less border around the printed image. If not trimmed the entire paper will press to the shirt.

2. Plastisol transfers or transfers printed by screenprinters use a release paper. The transfers are printed with plastisol inks onto the release paper and when pressed only the image stays on the shirt. There is no window and no trimming involved with release paper.
OMG...are you serious!?! I'm such a novice, all this time I thought the only difference was that one was printed by a machine and the other was done by a screen printer! I had NO IDEA that nothing was left behind other than the design when using plastisol transfers!!!! I am sooooo excited about this.

I've found a really good screen printer that I may be working with but if what you're telling me that NOTHING'S left behind when you use heat press plastisol transfers...this changes things lol!

Old May 26th, 2012 May 26, 2012 1:46:30 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Shep
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

We use pigment printed transfers (we make them) only in a dire emergency, like some idiot wants one shirt 3 weeks after the run, and we hold screens for 2 weeks. Contour cutting is the only way to clean the digital printed up, and it just ain't worth the time. We DTG as well, but our Dupont Inks are iffy on some blends and useless on stuff like raton or nylon, etc.

Plastisol transfers have all the same rules of screen printing- more colors more cost, etc., but we did some just for S&G and they behaved just like if we screened them on. Placement requires assorted platens for your press if you are doing anything other than the easy locations.

Old June 16th, 2012 Jun 16, 2012 9:38:53 AM -   #15 (permalink)
Former Member
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Roy

so your saying it has to be done by a screen printer only? You cant do this with any type of printer? I mean get same inks into any printer? if not that kinda sucks.

This is a discussion about plastisol heat transfer? that was posted in the Heat Press and Heat Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in