Best way to heat-press a circular logo onto a black shirt - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers

Heat Press and Heat Transfer Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of heat press technology. Transfer paper, inks, plastisol transfers, vinyl cutters, printers, commercial usage, durability, suppliers, etc.

Best way to heat-press a circular logo onto a black shirt

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old April 26th, 2017 Apr 26, 2017 12:26:17 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Jin Woo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Best way to heat-press a circular logo onto a black shirt

Hi everyone! My name is Jin and I'm new to the forums as well as tee-shirt making. I'm a graphic designer and I recently received my first client! I'm having a problem where I am using a heat press with an inkjet printer attached with pigmented inks. The client wants his design printed on a black tee shirt. I can currently only print on white shirts because of the transfer paper leaving behind the background. His image is pretty complex and I'm afraid I cannot cut it as it is a perfect circle and has some fine details. I've been looking into dark heat transfer paper and it seems like the only way I can do it without cutting myself would be buying a whole new laser printer and some weedless transfer paper.

Is there any other alternative like some sort of weedless inkjet transfer paper? Or should I go with buying a laser printer or a direct to garment printer

Here's a picture of the logo by the way:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 26th, 2017 Apr 26, 2017 12:48:28 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: John
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default Re: Best way to heat-press a circular logo onto a black shirt

The picture is not attached, so it is hard to say. If you can do it in vinyl, buy a cheap cutter (Cameo) and do that. If it is more than a couple of colors, you probably still need a cutter to trim the opaque papers (print and cut). The opaque papers feel very plasticky and sit on top of the fabric, though. You could order plastisol transfers, but you would need color separated art. Then you could press them yourself.

Old April 26th, 2017 Apr 26, 2017 12:52:54 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john221us
The picture is not attached, so it is hard to say. If you can do it in vinyl, buy a cheap cutter (Cameo) and do that. If it is more than a couple of colors, you probably still need a cutter to trim the opaque papers (print and cut). The opaque papers feel very plasticky and sit on top of the fabric, though. You could order plastisol transfers, but you would need color separated art. Then you could press them yourself.
Sorry about that, hopefully it's attached now
Attached Images
File Type: png 18191342_10156136006897501_1800058330_n (1).png (201.5 KB, 42 views)

Old April 26th, 2017 Apr 26, 2017 1:03:13 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiikim
That would be hard to do in vinyl (not impossible, though). It would probably be best to get the art setup and just order plastisol transfers.

The Following User Says Thank You to john221us For This Useful Post:
Jiikim (April 26th, 2017)
Old April 26th, 2017 Apr 26, 2017 1:24:53 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

What about getting a laser printer and trying some self-weeding paper?

Old April 26th, 2017 Apr 26, 2017 10:20:19 PM -   #6 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Luis
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,128 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
How big is the logo? I am asking because that is simple few cuts with vinyl cutter and using either inkjet opaque like 3G or laser opaque like Opaque1 or Joto's CL II. You print the logo. Make the contour line around the outer circle outline and the text outline or put a black border around the text so it is easy to cut and weed. Weed the excess. Pick the artwork with transfer tape then press it on the shirt. There are low end vinyl cutter like Cameo Silhouette or Cameo Portrait.

Coastal Business sells both models.

If you go with self weeding laser for dark you need a CMYW printer plus optional TransferRip to print without a hitch so the manufacturer says so. Or 2 pass printing with CMYK printer and K toner/drum set filled with white toner. There is a lot of learning curve involved. It could get costly until you get comfortable with it. Search the forum for self weeding laser transfer for dark. There are both pros and cons. You will run into a lot having issues.

Click these links:

https://www.t-shirtforums.com/search....rchid=21983722

https://www.t-shirtforums.com/search....rchid=21983658

https://www.t-shirtforums.com/search....rchid=21983674

Read as much as possible. It will be worth your time to weigh in making your decision. I am not trying to discourage you. But please make wise decision so you will not regret later.

DigitalHeatFX's Xpress It service will print your logo using laser self weeding transfer paper and printer with white toner. Contact them. Tell them you are looking into buying a printer and self weeding laser transfer paper. Ask if they will print your logo so you can try to press and test durability. Also ask for sample swatches that you can press your self. Put the through heavy wash/dryer torture.

If you use Xpress It service you will save money from buying printer, TransferRip and the headache learning the transfer to work weeding it. Let Xpress IT eat that cost.

https://digitalheatfx.com/outsourcing-transfers/

Either way using self weeding laser transfer or laser or inkjet opaque the outcome will be like a patch. They all will be sitting on top of the fabric.

Last edited by Lnfortun; April 26th, 2017 at 11:42 PM..

Old April 26th, 2017 Apr 26, 2017 10:31:48 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

My plan on exchange got somewhat burned from heating it such a large number of times to pick the paper backing off. I attempted to keep the iron moving while I warmed it yet it was trapped stuck! If not for your tip about warming through duplicate paper I would have needed to discard it. Much appreciated to such an extent.

Old April 28th, 2017 Apr 28, 2017 7:28:21 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Hi everyone! My name is Jin and I'm new to the forums as well as tee-shirt making. I'm a graphic designer and I recently received my first client! I'm having a problem where I am using a heat press with an inkjet printer attached with pigmented inks. The client wants his design printed on a black tee shirt. I can currently only print on white shirts because of the transfer paper leaving behind the background. His image is pretty complex and I'm afraid I cannot cut it as it is a perfect circle and has some fine details. I've been looking into dark heat transfer paper and it seems like the only way I can do it without cutting myself would be buying a whole new laser printer and some weedless transfer paper.

Is there any other alternative like some sort of weedless inkjet transfer paper? Or should I go with buying a laser printer or a direct to garment printer

Here's a picture of the logo by the way:

Only what you can do in this case inexpensively is Tandem Print on two compatible inkjet printer. First you print on A Printer in Color Than you print on the same paper on B Printer with White ink. Then you transfer your the print out to your Black T shirt. And you get something like this

Old April 28th, 2017 Apr 28, 2017 7:46:17 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Nevin

okay, I have a round logo. I print on Jet Dark with my inkjet and in the art I add an 1/8 black outline. I then using my vinyl cutter set up a die line and use it to cut in the 1/8 in black are I added to my logo. It takes a little practice to get it right.

The other option is if you are only doing a few hand cut the black with an exacto. Or order polyol transfer from one of the vendors her and upcharge the service fee and the shipping so you don't get burned.

Old April 28th, 2017 Apr 28, 2017 6:07:03 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Bernie

I'd suggest you purchase an Oki Colour laser printer, they are the only one that can print white, the a4 model is OKI Pro7411WT White Toner Printer. Google it & find the transfer paper system to suit it.

Old April 29th, 2017 Apr 29, 2017 5:47:06 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Frankie

I would do DTG or Vinyl Print

Old April 29th, 2017 Apr 29, 2017 8:52:18 AM -   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Thank you everyone! I'm looking into weedless right now, considering buying a laser printer. Apparently they don't stretch well though

Old April 29th, 2017 Apr 29, 2017 5:17:00 PM -   #13 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Luis
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,128 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Thank you everyone! I'm looking into weedless right now, considering buying a laser printer. Apparently they don't stretch well though
That is correct. Like I said try get sample pre-printed/pre-weeded or unweeded/unmarried A and B sheets so you can test it for yourself and have first hand experience of ease of use, durability and not rely on hearsay. Stretch before and after wash. If it wasn't for number of colors and detailed I would recommend vinyl. It does not crack, peel or fade. The hand is much better than opaque or self weeding laser transfer. I had shirts pressed with two color vinyl that had been through at least 20 or more wash/dryer cycles and they looked and felt the same when they were pressed. Still had the same stretch to them. Your artwork can be done with multi layer vinyl but it is going to cost you more money and time.

The photos were made of vinyl transfers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Adjuster.jpg (74.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Triple-M.jpg (112.4 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by Lnfortun; April 29th, 2017 at 06:30 PM..

This is a discussion about Best way to heat-press a circular logo onto a black shirt that was posted in the Heat Press and Heat Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in