Stahl's Might Press, Hix, Geo Knight... which to choose? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers

Heat Press and Heat Transfer Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of heat press technology. Transfer paper, inks, plastisol transfers, vinyl cutters, printers, commercial usage, durability, suppliers, etc.

Stahl's Might Press, Hix, Geo Knight... which to choose?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old September 9th, 2006 Sep 9, 2006 11:25:21 AM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Stahl's Might Press, Hix, Geo Knight... which to choose?

I'm looking for a heat press, approximately 15x15. I've been recommended the Mighty Press by several members. But has anyone spent the time to do an honest and direct comparison? Is there any deciding / important factors that might help to sway me in a certain direction? Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2006 Sep 9, 2006 11:33:58 AM -  
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Jon

Default Re: Stahl's Might Press, Hix, Geo Knight... which to choose?

Its just personal preference. They wil all last forever basicly. I have a mighty press 16 x 20, which is great. Its built like a tank.

I also have a geo night hat press, which works fine too. I dont think that the geo knight is built quite as sturdily though.

Cant comment on hix becuase I dont have one.

Old September 9th, 2006 Sep 9, 2006 6:20:26 PM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Don

I am no expert, but Hix presses ( according to the ads ) will open about 20 degrees more than other hinge type presses. This would get the heat away from your fingers a little more. I heard that the mighty press and some Hix models are clam shell meaning they won't handle the thicker materials. The swing aways will accept thicker materals. heat presses are not cheap, I requested a discount for a group buy of 3- Hix 16 x 20's and only received a 1 percent discount offer. Guess I needed more orders.

Good luck !

Old September 9th, 2006 Sep 9, 2006 7:28:29 PM -  
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Solmu's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lewis
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurusndixie
I requested a discount for a group buy of 3- Hix 16 x 20's and only received a 1 percent discount offer. Guess I needed more orders.
Who'd you ask? Coastal give a 2.1% discount for two or more straight off their website. I'm guessing they'd need to be shipped to one address though, which could easily negate the value of the discount if it's a group buy.

Old September 11th, 2006 Sep 11, 2006 5:02:31 AM -  
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: David
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

PM Josh at impritables warehouse and see what he can do for you.

Old September 12th, 2006 Sep 12, 2006 9:11:26 PM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoskinGraphix
PM Josh at impritables warehouse and see what he can do for you.
Will do. Thanks!

Old September 13th, 2006 Sep 13, 2006 6:03:06 AM -  
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Thanked 1,222 Times in 994 Posts

We have the DK20S. We wanted the swinger so we could do more than just shirts and the 20 so we could do larger items. The press is great. We didn't get the auto press because of the doubling of price but it would be nice to have something like that. We did get the rolling stand at the same time and are happy that we did so it can be rolled out of the way when not needed. The sucker is 220lbs!

Old September 13th, 2006 Sep 13, 2006 11:29:06 AM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Hmm, I guess I'll have to decide whether to go with a clamshell or swing away as well.

Old February 13th, 2007 Feb 13, 2007 8:43:47 PM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Rebecca

I can't speak for anything other than the Mighty Press 15x15 because it is the only press I've owned, but I'd give it a big "thumbs up". I bought it used about 6 years ago, have used it a lot myself, loaded it in and out of the car to take to events, etc., and I've never had a problem with it. Still works as good as new.

Old February 14th, 2007 Feb 14, 2007 6:40:09 PM -  
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: JB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

First off, do NOT get anything clamshell. Those are just plain dangerous. Swing-away is far better. Second, spring for a 16" x 20" model. Those few extra inches are a godsend for really big shirts! Last, I have a Stahl's Hotronix and it does well. Most big names will probably, though.

Old February 14th, 2007 Feb 14, 2007 7:01:12 PM -  
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: David
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Love my clamshell as do most t-shirt shops.

Old February 14th, 2007 Feb 14, 2007 8:37:55 PM -  
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Solmu's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lewis
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by COEDS
spring for a 16" x 20" model. Those few extra inches are a godsend for really big shirts!
That's the thing - people think of 15"x15" to 16"x20" as being a few inches... the latter is about 43% larger.

Old February 23rd, 2007 Feb 23, 2007 10:05:40 PM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Oddly enough, I went with the HIX 15x15 clamshell. I haven't actually used it yet, but it makes a spiffy looking paperweight.

I'll be using First Edition as my supplier, so none of the transfers will be over 10x10 anyway.

Old August 11th, 2008 Aug 11, 2008 11:46:57 AM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Jim

The clam shell is more difficult to operate, I have the burn marks on the back of my hands to prove it, but space is also a consideration. The pul out or swing out frames are great if you have room for them. Get the dimensions required for each and check it against your space. In our small retail store, we went clamshell and have been fully satisfied. We do about $2,500/month worth of transfer business with the one press and it's been going steady for a couple of years now.

We use a Phoenix Phire press. Just afteer we got it, the came out with the digital pressure read out. That would be really nice to have.

Jim

Old August 11th, 2008 Aug 11, 2008 12:10:32 PM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: TM

I have a Geo Knight 16 x 20 clamshell with their (semi) auto release add on. I have never burned myself and this is my first heat press. I have pressed many hundreds of items and have spent as long as 10 hours in front of it doing mass production with no issues. The only beef I have with it is when you are pressing mass quantities the temp fluctuates and I don't like waiting the short time for the temp to get back up to 400. I print Duracotton HT and Image Clip primarily. I even sit and set rhinestones for hours at the press with no burning. (thank goodness for AC, because that sucker is hot when sitting in front of it all day). I mix transfers with rhinestones more often than not. I do imagine that a 2k swing away auto open would be heaven, but I will take what I have in the mean time with no complaints Good luck deciding!

This is a discussion about Stahl's Might Press, Hix, Geo Knight... which to choose? that was posted in the Heat Press and Heat Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in