Good Professional Heat Press? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers

Heat Press and Heat Transfer Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of heat press technology. Transfer paper, inks, plastisol transfers, vinyl cutters, printers, commercial usage, durability, suppliers, etc.

Good Professional Heat Press?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old September 7th, 2006 Sep 7, 2006 11:08:13 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Good Professional Heat Press?

can anyone recommend a good professional quality heat press for a startup small shirt business? not too expensive

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2006 Sep 8, 2006 1:41:54 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Solmu's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lewis
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Default Re: Good Professional Heat Press?

What press are you using and why?
heat press, which is better
Need one more tip: which heat press?
Need a vote or everyones opinion! - which heat press should I buy?

Old September 8th, 2006 Sep 8, 2006 5:21:20 AM -   #3 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

badalou's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lou

I use the Mighty press 15 x 15. It is easy to use has buzzer that sounds so I know my timing is of. Has overhead center pressure knob that makes it easy to set pressure. Bought from coastal business.. great service and free shiping.

Old September 8th, 2006 Sep 8, 2006 5:34:20 AM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: David
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

I would try and buy at least the 15x15 but wish I had the 16x20 for the oversized transfers. Josh at Imprintables warehouse is super informative and a member here on the forums.

Old September 8th, 2006 Sep 8, 2006 8:33:47 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

is 15 X 15 large enough to print on an XL men's shirt?

Old September 8th, 2006 Sep 8, 2006 8:53:13 AM -   #6 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: David
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Yes it is but if you can get a 16x20 I would. I just found some great oversized 15x19 transfers that would look super but dont have the press for em. I have the other two for travel at shows...they are heavy but manageable.

Old October 6th, 2006 Oct 6, 2006 8:05:55 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Lisa

What kind of shows do you do?

Old October 6th, 2006 Oct 6, 2006 8:34:56 PM -   #8 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,101 Posts

It depends on what type of business you are going to do. Is the press going to be in one spot (i.e. stationary)? Do you plan to do event productions (i.e. fairs, flea markets, sport tournaments, ...)? How much space do you have for this piece of equipment (i.e. clamshell presses take up less space than a swing-away press)?

A 16" x 20" is always best because it allows for shirts 2 XL and larger where you want the design to be longer than 14.5" (will want to leave some space all the way around the platten to make sure that the heating element covers the design completely). However, these presses usually are pretty heavy and are not the easiest to pick up and move around for event production. For events, you might want to look at the Hix Swingman. It has manual controls for heat and time, but it is pretty light and portable.

Imprintables Warehouse has one of the best clamshells out on the market - Phoenix Phire for the following reasons, but it is not the cheapest:
1. Automatic Release Technology that opens the press when the timer expires
2. Magnetic assistance when closing the press to make it easier on the worker
3. Center pressure adjustment knob above the heating element.
4. Floating heating element to allow for some adjustment on no flat items (i.e. hoodies)
5. All the metal pieces are solid and are not welded. This makes it much stronger down the road.

The automatic release function is great because it allows you to do multiple things and not worry about the shirt burning. Geo Knight offers an automatic release function as an after-market attachment. So, if you can't afford this function now, you can add it on later.

The best thing you can do is go to a trade show or a distributor and really see first-hand the benefits of the different styles of presses. Then, find the one that works best for your business now and at least a couple years down the road. Heat presses usually last a long time unless you buy one of the off-brands that are produced overseas and are being sold for pennies. Stick to the Hix, Geo Knight, Insta, Hotronix and iDek presses. Also, check out eBay and you could get a deal. Good Luck.

Mark

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAGuide For This Useful Post:
LeslieV (January 12th, 2010), Nikolay (September 23rd, 2011)
Old October 6th, 2006 Oct 6, 2006 8:38:30 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Where do you find out about trade shows or meeting with distributors? I don't think there are any in my area. I am in Syracuse, NY

Old October 7th, 2006 Oct 7, 2006 7:48:44 AM -   #10 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,101 Posts

My geography is horrible, but here is a quick list of some shows / companies that are within a state or two. Some other people might know of closer ones.
- ISS Atlantic City Show (usually the second weekend of March every year
- Imprintables Warehouse (located Masontown, PA - south of Pittsburg)
- Embroidery Extravaganza (Nov. 17th - 18th) in Pittsburg, PA
- Performance Screen (located in Freehold, NJ) - primary screen printing supplies distributor, but sells heat presses
- Wild Side North (Slippery Rock, PA) - primary screen printing supplies distributor, but sells heat presses
- All American Supply (Philadelphia, PA)
- Imprints USA (Philadelphia, PA)
- QLT Imprint Supplies (NY, NY)
- RPL Supplies (Saddlebrook, NJ)
- Dye-Namic Images (Riverton, NJ)

Hope this list helps.

Old May 20th, 2007 May 20, 2007 8:51:20 PM -   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Angus

Hi! Iam a newbie . Looking to buy a Phoenix Phire 11X15. Will I be able to plug this into a house outlet ? I live in the USA. I would Hate to pay $9OO, only to find out That I can't plug it in because it is to powerful for house . Does anybody know if that is going to be a problem ? Thanx, Angus

Old May 21st, 2007 May 21, 2007 2:09:55 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

I have the 16X20 and it is plugged into the wall in my living room. No problems! Just ask for the 120 plug in.

Old May 21st, 2007 May 21, 2007 9:59:15 PM -   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Angus

Thanx for the info Lisa. Cheers, Angus

Old December 6th, 2007 Dec 6, 2007 2:56:58 AM -   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Hey Lisa and all. i'm thinking of trying one of these P_PHIRE 16x20 heatpresses. i'm totally new at this mind you. just wondering how long you've had the unit, how it's worked/any problems? also, how long is the warrantee...this didn't seem to be stated on the website. finally, (obviously a newbie question), but, aside from the actual heatpress and logos/shirts, are any other materials necessary to make the shirts. i ask only as i saw packages being sold on the inprintables site...and started wondering what sort of extras might be required. anyway_+ any help would be Greatly appreciated. thanks in advance, eric

Old December 6th, 2007 Dec 6, 2007 3:12:59 AM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

I love my phoenixe phire. I would recommend the 16X20 so that you have room to do whatever you may get into. I did have to replace the shocks on it, but they were covered and they sent them right out to me. I bought it October 2006. It is a great machine. I also bought an Epson C88, which has been discontinued, and got a lot of sample transfer paper to try. however, I don't use it much unless it is a white shirt. I don't like how it comes on out light colored shirts other than white. I basically use vinyl. Get samples from Imprintables and Stahls. I really like the stuff Stahl's sells because a lot of it is hot peel, which is much easier and more error free than cold peel. I would also get a sample pack from Transfer express and First Edition and others. I love transfer express. They have great customer service and their transfers are so easy it is crazy. I thought the warranty on my phoenix phire was 4 years.

This is a discussion about Good Professional Heat Press? that was posted in the Heat Press and Heat Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in