Imageclip Paper help: Paper backing taking image with it after hot peel - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers

Heat Press and Heat Transfer Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of heat press technology. Transfer paper, inks, plastisol transfers, vinyl cutters, printers, commercial usage, durability, suppliers, etc.

Imageclip Paper help: Paper backing taking image with it after hot peel

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 8th, 2008 Jul 8, 2008 10:03:38 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Imageclip Paper help: Paper backing taking image with it after hot peel

I am using Imageclip transfer paper for the first time and can't seem to get it to work.

It is the paper with the 2 step process.
So where is what I am doing, if you notice something I'm doing wrong, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

Print my image onto the red backed paper
Heat press to 200 degress
Press the Red Back paper to the Green Back Paper and press for 20 seconds
Hot Peel both sheets apart

But this is where I am having issues. The Green Back is taking some of the image with it leaving my image on the Red back missing images.

I really hope this makes sense but I am totally lost and don't know what to do.

I tried calling the company I bought it from and the guy was really no help at all.

Any advice would be great!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 8th, 2008 Jul 8, 2008 3:12:51 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 2,233 Posts

Default Re: Imageclip Paper help: Paper backing taking image with it after hot peel

This paper is very temperature sensitive. The instructions i have read says 225 degrees for 20 seconds, not 200 degrees.

Old July 8th, 2008 Jul 8, 2008 3:28:41 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Marcelo

Default Re: Imageclip Paper help: Paper backing taking image with it after hot peel

My instructions says 210 for 20 second, light pressure. I think it is pressure sensitive during this step, too. good luck

Old July 8th, 2008 Jul 8, 2008 6:44:24 PM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Luis
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,132 Times in 839 Posts

You need to peel while the papers are still hot without lifting both of them off the lower platten. Imageclip is not ideal for light pastel or gradient color design because there will not be enough toner to adhere to that is coming from the green sheet. Instead the polymer will lift the toner from the red paper. It is normal to have a faint trace of the image on the green paper.

Did you try pressing the red paper after pressing the two sheets even though you have image on the green paper? The red paper should look matte when the polymer is transferred from the green paper.

I suggest you try this post to get a good polymer transfer to red paper:
Oki C8800n + Hotronix Draw + ImageClip = SWEET!!! - T-Shirt Forums

The Following User Says Thank You to Lnfortun For This Useful Post:
sweetbaby (July 9th, 2008)
Old July 9th, 2008 Jul 9, 2008 7:21:19 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnfortun
You need to peel while the papers are still hot without lifting both of them off the lower platten. Imageclip is not ideal for light pastel or gradient color design because there will not be enough toner to adhere to that is coming from the green sheet. Instead the polymer will lift the toner from the red paper. It is normal to have a faint trace of the image on the green paper.

Did you try pressing the red paper after pressing the two sheets even though you have image on the green paper? The red paper should look matte when the polymer is transferred from the green paper.

I suggest you try this post to get a good polymer transfer to red paper:
Oki C8800n + Hotronix Draw + ImageClip = SWEET!!! - T-Shirt Forums
So peel the top sheet off while the bottom sheet is still lying down?
No, I didn't try to press the Red after pressing with the Green as most of the image was gone and I didn't want to waste a shirt.
There was a faint trace of the rest of the image on the green though, so maybe there was too much pressure?

Thank you so much though!
I will definetly try it again but with all your suggestions!

Old July 9th, 2008 Jul 9, 2008 10:52:15 AM -   #6 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbaby
So peel the top sheet off while the bottom sheet is still lying down?
Yes. The paper need to be kept hot and the polymer in the soft state.

Quote:
No, I didn't try to press the Red after pressing with the Green as most of the image was gone and I didn't want to waste a shirt.
Try pressing on a scrap fabric instead of a new shirt.

[quote=sweetbaby;318566]
There was a faint trace of the rest of the image on the green though, so maybe there was too much pressure?

Faint trace of image on the green paper is normal. I use medium pressure when pressing the two papers together. Some members claim that they are using the same pressure that is used for pressing the transfer on the shirt. Sometimes using light pressure does not leave even coat of polymer transferred to the red paper.

Quote:
Thank you so much though!
I will definetly try it again but with all your suggestions!
Try the silicon baking cookie sheet method to keep the papers hot while peeling them apart.

Last edited by Lnfortun; July 9th, 2008 at 11:16 AM..

Old July 9th, 2008 Jul 9, 2008 12:18:32 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Try the silicon baking cookie sheet method to keep the papers hot while peeling them apart.
I have a teflon sheet, is that the same thing or will it work just the same?
I have noticed that the teflon sheet is really hot after doing a shirt, I actually burnt my finger on it

Old July 9th, 2008 Jul 9, 2008 3:59:10 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: TM

type "silicon baking sheet" in a search engine. The product is its own thing, Imageclip is tricky. Do a search on this forum for it and you will find all sorts of tricks. I only had luck when I implemented all tricks.

I use 215 degrees 15 - 20 secs and repeat the time if the poly is not evenly spread. It is worth the struggle to figure out because the results are amazing...

Old July 9th, 2008 Jul 9, 2008 6:53:30 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Member

So I tried it again and the outer part of the image is coming out great but the inside of the circle isn't transfering at all.
Could there be uneven pressure or not enough pressure at all?

I transfered the 2 sheets at 210 for 10 seconds then for another 5 seconds with a teflon sheet (it is all I have right now) then transfered the red sheet to the shirt at 350 for 20 seconds (that is what my instructions say)
It is a picture of a coin and the outer circle is coming out but the picture of the guy on the coin isn't coming off at all?

Old July 9th, 2008 Jul 9, 2008 9:34:47 PM -   #10 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
I have a teflon sheet, is that the same thing or will it work just the same?
I have noticed that the teflon sheet is really hot after doing a shirt, I actually burnt my finger on it
Actually teflon sheet does not have enough mass to maintain the temp to stay long enough to peel the papers. I have tried it and it did not work as well as the silicon sheet. Department stores has cheaper brand than the one shown in my post that works. My wife would not let use her SILPAT anymore . As a matter of fact I am using a piece that I bought from a local Target store. I paid $7.00 for it. Just make sure that both sides do not have embossed or raised surfaces. Cut a piece at least one of the corners so that corner of the transfer paper is exposed for ease of peeling.

Old July 9th, 2008 Jul 9, 2008 10:21:25 PM -   #11 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
So I tried it again and the outer part of the image is coming out great but the inside of the circle isn't transfering at all.
Could there be uneven pressure or not enough pressure at all?

I transfered the 2 sheets at 210 for 10 seconds then for another 5 seconds with a teflon sheet (it is all I have right now) then transfered the red sheet to the shirt at 350 for 20 seconds (that is what my instructions say)
It is a picture of a coin and the outer circle is coming out but the picture of the guy on the coin isn't coming off at all?
A picture of a coin has what is known as gradient color. It is the type that fades from dark to light or visa versa. This type of image lays down less toner in some area on the red sheet and therefore does not have enough for the polymer to adhere on. The reason the circle works because it has more toner laid on the red paper. You can try darkening the colors a bit or increase the gamma of the entire image.

Here is the manufacturers pressing instructions: http://www.neenah.com/technical/pdf/...p9770P0807.pdf

Factory or vendor instructions are good starting point.

Heat press characteristics vary between different units even with the same brand. You have to find the best settings that will give the best result.

You can try using Duracotton HT if the fabric color is white or ash. Duracotton HT is not self weeding so the polymer will show on some pastel color fabric.

BTW Duracotton Manufacturer is located in Canada.

Last edited by Lnfortun; July 10th, 2008 at 12:39 PM..

Old July 10th, 2008 Jul 10, 2008 12:33:25 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
A picture of a coin has what is known as gradient color. It is the type that fades from dark to light or visa versa. This type of image lays down less toner in some area on the red sheet and therefore does not have enough for the polymer to adhere on. The reason the circle works because it has more toner laid on the red paper. You can try darkening the colors a bit or increase the gamma of the entire image.

Here is the manufacturers pressing instructions: http://www.neenah.com/technical/pdf/...p9770P0807.pdf

Factory or vendor instructions are good starting point.

Heat press characteristics vary between different units even with the same brand. You have to find the best settings that will give the best result.

You can try using Duracotton HT if the fabric color is white or ash. Duracotton HT is not self weeding so the polymer will show on some pastel color fabric.

BTW Duracotton Manufacurer is located in Canada.
You are so AWESOME!
Thanks again!

Old July 10th, 2008 Jul 10, 2008 12:38:10 PM -   #13 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
You are so AWESOME!
Thanks again!
You are welcome. I am glad I am able to help .

This is a discussion about Imageclip Paper help: Paper backing taking image with it after hot peel that was posted in the Heat Press and Heat Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in