Heat press trouble - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers

Heat Press and Heat Transfer Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of heat press technology. Transfer paper, inks, plastisol transfers, vinyl cutters, printers, commercial usage, durability, suppliers, etc.

Heat press trouble

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 23rd, 2005 Jul 23, 2005 6:55:55 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Ray
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Heat press trouble

Hello to all,
I just joines the forum and I am happy to be here. There is one question that I have regarding my heat press and a problem I am having with it.

I have been applying proworldinc.com transfers. They recommend that the shirt is pre pressed wiht the machine for about 6 seconds using just the weight of the platen.

My problem is that I keep getting a square press mark on the t-shirt where the heat plate touches the shirt. I have a 15x15 press and the silicone pad is the same size. When it is pressed I get a square the size of the plate pressed onto the shirt.

It eventually does come out with a few washing but why is this happening?

I lowered the heat to 250 degrees and I still get this press mark.

Would a teflon sheet keep this from happening?

I get like an outline pressed intothe shirt from the press.

Has this happened to anyone else or is this common?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2005 Jul 23, 2005 7:48:25 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Default Re: Heat press trouble

Maybe your pressure setting is too high? 250 degrees is probably way too low to actually press anything, though I don't know what those ready-made transfers call for.

Old July 24th, 2005 Jul 24, 2005 4:13:54 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. Here is what happens. I lowered the temp. to 250 and I use the just the weight of the iron to do a pre press and it still gets that press mark of the heat plate on the shirt.
I tried the 250 just to see if it was the temp or not. I get the press mark whether there is pressure or not and at temps of 250 to 385 or higher.

I can't figure why this is happening. No one else I know of has this problem.

In conclusion, If I set the temp at anywhere from 250 or higher and press a shirt at 2 pounds of pressure or more for 6 seconds I get this heat mark and no one seems to know why.

any help or ideas would be great.

I have also tried Jerzee shirts hanes and fruit of the loom 50/50 and 100% cotton and it was on all shirts

Old July 24th, 2005 Jul 24, 2005 11:18:16 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Is it an actual mark? Perhaps the edges of your heat press need to be cleaned?

You might try dropping the question over at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Heat_T...sktop_Printers too, there's a ton of people doing heat press work and someone may have encountered that problem as well. (You'll probably want to mention what type of heat press you have over there as well)

Old July 24th, 2005 Jul 24, 2005 5:36:27 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Brian

Sounds to me like to much pressure!

Old July 24th, 2005 Jul 24, 2005 6:58:35 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thanks for all the replys and help.

It is kind of hard to explain but the heat plate and silicone pad seem to press a crease or an outline on the shirt that is hard to get out.

When the press is opened there is a pressed line or crease so to speak in the shape of the heat plate.

I wouldn't care about it but it is tough to get out.

It is a used press made but the National Screen Printing Company which is no longer in biz. I was thinking of just selling it and getting a nice new one. That way I can call the company if anything goes wrong.

Thanks for any help you have given.

PS>>>Is there anyway to test how much pressure is being applied? The press won't accept anything bigger than 1/4 inch. Thanks for any help

Old March 31st, 2006 Mar 31, 2006 6:27:24 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Cassidy

We have this problem too. The reason the square is appearing there is because when you press it for the first 6 seconds this is to take ALL the moisture out for the transfer to set well. Thus the square gets there because there is no humitity on that part of the shirt because you steamed it all out. I find this to be specially bad on reds.

Old March 31st, 2006 Mar 31, 2006 7:40:43 AM -   #8 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

badalou's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lou

It is the pressure as I get it also. Sometime you think you need more pressure but you do not. Like Cassidy stated it may be the preheat also. I never thought of that. Try a sheet of parchement paper on the preheat and see if that makes a difference. The idea is to make it hot. Even lowering you top to just above the area may do this also. The heat will radiate down to the fabric. test , test , test. I have a bunch of test shirts.

Old March 31st, 2006 Mar 31, 2006 9:30:51 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Justin

Are you using 100% cotton shirts?

Old March 31st, 2006 Mar 31, 2006 11:16:50 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Try putting parchment paper or a paper towel over your transfer and the t-shirt them press, hope it works

Old March 31st, 2006 Mar 31, 2006 11:54:24 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Thomas

You could always try preheating the print area with an iron or something. Maybe they want you to prepress it so all the wrinkles are gone. Does the square show up even if you dont do the prepress?

Old March 31st, 2006 Mar 31, 2006 2:59:09 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Jimmy

The square image is created when your press takes the moisture out of the applied area. You shouldn't see that square image after a couple of hours. I suppose this is happening on dark garments? I wouldn't worry about it. Just let it sit a while in room temperature.

This is a discussion about Heat press trouble that was posted in the Heat Press and Heat Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in