Why can't paper manufactures make a Plastisol type paper for Ink Jet Printers? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers

Heat Press and Heat Transfer Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of heat press technology. Transfer paper, inks, plastisol transfers, vinyl cutters, printers, commercial usage, durability, suppliers, etc.

Why can't paper manufactures make a Plastisol type paper for Ink Jet Printers?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 13th, 2008 Jun 13, 2008 7:40:56 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Why can't paper manufactures make a Plastisol type paper for Ink Jet Printers?

I just wanted to put this out there. I don't understand why paper manufactures can't make a paper that is like Plastisol for Ink Jet printers.

I would think that it would not be that hard to produce.

I hate the Iron All for Darks, it looks like you just layed a peice of vinyl on the Tee.

I don't do Darks anymore for that reason.

Anyway, maybe if enough of you post here that would want the same as I, maybe a manufacture will listen and come up with it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2008 Jun 13, 2008 7:53:18 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,029 Times in 3,228 Posts

Default Re: Why can't paper manufactures make a Plastisol type paper for Ink Jet Printers?

Quote:
I would think that it would not be that hard to produce.
If it wasn't hard to produce, then I'm sure they all would be making one.

The fact is that it IS hard to produce, that's why a solution doesn't exist. Inks from your printer are not opaque by nature. Plastisol ink IS opaque.

The manufacturers already know that there is a demand for it, but the ink from your printer at home just doesn't have the right stuff to make the same kind of transfer.

Old June 13th, 2008 Jun 13, 2008 8:14:41 AM -   #3 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Byron
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default Re: Why can't paper manufactures make a Plastisol type paper for Ink Jet Printers?

...and the opaque transfer paper is the closest and the best that the manufacturers can come up with. So you just have to find the best opaque transfer paper for your customers.

Old June 13th, 2008 Jun 13, 2008 9:03:39 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I know that Vinyl Cutters, heat presses, heat transfer material, transfer papers and heat printing supplies all at affordable prices. sells DuraCut it is a cuttable ink sheet that can be used for 1 color designs. ... JB

Old June 13th, 2008 Jun 13, 2008 9:43:03 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney
If it wasn't hard to produce, then I'm sure they all would be making one.

The fact is that it IS hard to produce, that's why a solution doesn't exist. Inks from your printer are not opaque by nature. Plastisol ink IS opaque.

The manufacturers already know that there is a demand for it, but the ink from your printer at home just doesn't have the right stuff to make the same kind of transfer.
I would think then, a printer can be made that uses the correct ink for this type of transfer. I really don't think it would be that hard for a Printer Manufacture to produc a printer of this type.

Old June 13th, 2008 Jun 13, 2008 10:06:28 AM -   #6 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: David
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

There is a printer and it does away with the need for the paper period. It is called DTG.

Old June 13th, 2008 Jun 13, 2008 10:10:26 AM -   #7 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,101 Posts

The problem is not the paper...it is the ink! The plastisol transfer paper is a carrier much like dye sub paper is. There are no adhesive qualities of the paper. The plastisol ink has an adhesive character to it. The paper is just there to carry the ink from the screen press to the heat press.

In oder for your inkjet concept to work, the ink that comes out of your desktop printer must be able to adhere to the fabric on its own. The closest thing to this is ChromaBlast ink, but it still requires a paper with the polymer on it.

The only other way is to do what they do for Image Clip or DuraCotton. The problem with that concept is it is hard to get the waterbase ink to dry to the glossy paper without bleeding all over. If you could do this, then you can use the second step paper add the adhesive to the top of the ink. But this would only work for light transfers. So that is the going to resolve your issue of dark paper either.

It is just not possible with the current ink and paper configurations. Trust the fact that the mills have looked at a lot of different options and nothing has worked. Thus the reason for all the direct-to-garment printers.

Hope this clarifies things.

Mark

Old June 13th, 2008 Jun 13, 2008 11:21:16 AM -   #8 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,029 Times in 3,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegiftsolution
I would think then, a printer can be made that uses the correct ink for this type of transfer. I really don't think it would be that hard for a Printer Manufacture to produc a printer of this type.
Even though it may seem "easy", that doesn't mean that it is

If it was possible, it would definitely be happening.

This is a discussion about Why can't paper manufactures make a Plastisol type paper for Ink Jet Printers? that was posted in the Heat Press and Heat Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in