Help With Fixing My Printer??? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers

Heat Press and Heat Transfer Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of heat press technology. Transfer paper, inks, plastisol transfers, vinyl cutters, printers, commercial usage, durability, suppliers, etc.

Help With Fixing My Printer???

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old May 31st, 2008 May 31, 2008 7:08:46 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rusty
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Help With Fixing My Printer???

I have an Epson R220, and as some of you may know, these are known as very good quality printers, but have not been manufactured for a while. So I would love to be able to get it working again instead of buying a new printer.

When it pulls the paper down into the printer, it pulls it in crooked. The right side goes down in, but the left side does not, and it goes in crooked as it tries to print. I can't see any obstruction from the outside. Is there an easy way to troubleshoot or fix this?

Thanks for any help,
Rusty

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2008 May 31, 2008 8:31:43 PM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Luis
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,140 Times in 844 Posts

Default Re: Help With Fixing My Printer???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty
I have an Epson R220, and as some of you may know, these are known as very good quality printers, but have not been manufactured for a while. So I would love to be able to get it working again instead of buying a new printer.

When it pulls the paper down into the printer, it pulls it in crooked. The right side goes down in, but the left side does not, and it goes in crooked as it tries to print. I can't see any obstruction from the outside. Is there an easy way to troubleshoot or fix this?

Thanks for any help,
Rusty
Could it be that the take up rollers are deformed? Or the rollers are not putting even pressure to the paper from one side to the other? Maybe the spring or mechanism that keep the pressure on the roller shaft are defective.

Old May 31st, 2008 May 31, 2008 8:56:50 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Mike

I had the same issue at work with a larger laser printer recently. One of the rollers had paper dust on it and was slipping on paper feeds. I know it's not exactly comparing apples to apples here but, I'm with Infortun. It's probably a roller issue.

Old May 31st, 2008 May 31, 2008 9:08:30 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I agree it sounds like it's time to get some canned air and give it a few shots.If not make sure the rollers are turning freely. Good luck .....JB

Old May 31st, 2008 May 31, 2008 9:44:18 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Chet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty

Thanks for any help,
Rusty
Have you tried printing on card stock? Maybe thicker paper could help remove an obstruction if one exists. I think the canned air is a good idea as well.

Old May 31st, 2008 May 31, 2008 10:55:27 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

hey, sounds like the rollers.
once u don't see any obstruction then try cleaning the roller with some alcohol. but a little on a cotton rag (a little ) then roll the shaft to clean it. if this does not work then try some wd40 once the alcohol is dry, but wd40 is temporary this will tell u the rollers are shot and need to be replaced

Old May 31st, 2008 May 31, 2008 11:10:48 PM -   #7 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishb
hey, sounds like the rollers.
once u don't see any obstruction then try cleaning the roller with some alcohol. but a little on a cotton rag (a little ) then roll the shaft to clean it. if this does not work then try some wd40 once the alcohol is dry, but wd40 is temporary this will tell u the rollers are shot and need to be replaced
Come to think of it I have a Seiko thermal wax printer that occasionally will have a build up on the roller. I clean it with alcohol and no lint fabric that takes care of slipping problem.

Old May 31st, 2008 May 31, 2008 11:11:25 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

sunnydayz's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: BobbieLee
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,068 Posts

another thing that works to clean and renew the rubber on your rollers is rubber renue , this stuff works really good for revitalizing your rubber rollers Learned about this stuff when I was in computer tech school and always keep a container on hand, alchohol may dry the rubber out.

The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydayz For This Useful Post:
Lnfortun (May 31st, 2008)
Old May 31st, 2008 May 31, 2008 11:13:59 PM -   #9 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydayz
another thing that works to clean and renew the rubber on your rollers is rubber renue , this stuff works really good for revitalizing your rubber rollers Learned about this stuff when I was in computer tech school and always keep a container on hand, alchohol may dry the rubber out.
Where do you buy the stuff?

Thanks.

Old May 31st, 2008 May 31, 2008 11:19:22 PM -   #10 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

sunnydayz's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

here is a little instruction I found online that expains using it, I found this on yahoo where someone was asking the same exact question as you

I would get a small bottle of rubber renew at a electronic supply store and some Q tips, you will also need a paper towel folded in half, take the paper out of the printer, look down the paper slot you will see 1 or 2 black or grey D shaped rubber rollers, dip the Q tip into the rubber renew, now dab the Q tip onto the paper towel, now reach in and firmly rub the pick up roller, do as much as you can, check Q tip often it will get dirty, when you use a new Q tip always dip into the rubber renew, always use a clean Q tip, you will see the rubber roller get clean and it will turn a shade or 2 lighter in colour, do the whole roller or rollers and turn the in the direction of the paper path, this will solve that problem, just be real carefull with the rubber renew NOT to touch the plastic the renew will eat it that is why I have you dab it on the paper towel every time you dip into the renew

I would also put a paper towel thru after you use it to remove any excess rubber renue off of the roller.

Old May 31st, 2008 May 31, 2008 11:23:39 PM -   #11 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

I usually just buy it at frys but I am pretty sure there are alot of places online that sell it.

Old June 1st, 2008 Jun 1, 2008 2:51:22 PM -   #12 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rusty

Thanks for the tips. Card stock does the same thing. All rollers that I can see are turning. I can't see any obstruction. Tried the air blaster. Still doesn't work.

Can somebody tell me where to look? From the paper feed area? From the inside? I'm looking from both and can't see any reason that it's not feeding on the left side.

Old June 1st, 2008 Jun 1, 2008 3:10:47 PM -   #13 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Rusty, If your rollers are dirty or have that shiny buildup on them the will slip, that was why I reccomended using the rubber renue, it will get rid of the buildup on the roller and turn it soft and pliable again. This is one of the main reasons rollers start slipping, because they get to where they cant grab.

This is a discussion about Help With Fixing My Printer??? that was posted in the Heat Press and Heat Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in