Need one more tip: which heat press? - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers

Heat Press and Heat Transfer Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of heat press technology. Transfer paper, inks, plastisol transfers, vinyl cutters, printers, commercial usage, durability, suppliers, etc.

Need one more tip: which heat press?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old February 24th, 2007 Feb 24, 2007 5:56:27 AM -   #16 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

is a forum sponsor who has contributed over 1000 helpful posts in the forums!

You can call me: Josh
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Need one more tip: which heat press?

Only pneumatic presses (presses that open and close automatically) require an air compressor. The reason you're seeing advertisements that say "no air compressor required" is that those presses being advertised are semi-automatic, meaning you have to manually close the press but it opens automatically after the time has expired. Manual presses, like the mighty press and mighty press digital lines do not require compressors either. They are completely manual, meaning you must close the press and manually open it when the time has expired.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 24th, 2007 Feb 24, 2007 1:13:40 PM -   #17 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Tony
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for the replies and the info, appreciate it. Josh do you work at imprintables warehouse? I just recieved their catalog with a business card with bob robinsons email address, when I tried to send him an email it was returned with one of those damien errors. Still trying to find out if I really need the 16x20 or if I can do the same thing with the 15x15.
Thanks again,

Tony

Last edited by Thewebmaster; February 24th, 2007 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: typo error

Old February 24th, 2007 Feb 24, 2007 2:38:27 PM -   #18 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Bill

Hi Tony,

I would recommend the 16x20. It gives you extra room that helps with lining up the clothing before pressing. It also allows you to press larger transfers when needed as designs change or design trends change. You can also press more than one item at a time occasionally, like mouse pads as an example. That being said, there is nothing wrong with a 15x15. It is a very useful size and can accomplish almost anything you will need to do. In my opinion, never go any smaller than a 15x15. Also, the vast majority of heat presses in use, from what I've read, are the manual clamshell type press. They take up less space than swing away types, require no compressor, and in general are a proven design that will last almost forever. There are advantages to having a clamshell type press just like there are advantages for having a swing-away, or a fully automatic air assisted press. If you are starting out, or are an established company, you can't go wrong with a good quality clamshell. I prefer Hix, but there are a few other quality manufacturers as well. I think the two biggest mistakes would be buying a press that is too small, and buying a press from a company that hasn't been around long enough to prove their dependability. Also, once you have chosen your desired press, don't just shop by price alone. Buy from a dependable distributor that is willing to provide guidance and customer support and happens to have a good price.

Old February 24th, 2007 Feb 24, 2007 7:38:04 PM -   #19 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the input, yes I prefer the clam, it just seems to me that it's the best all rounder, I have noticed that the phoenix has a 16"x16" which is an auto opener and it's about the same price as the manual 16"x20" mighty press, it's difficult to choose between the two, the auto open feature is a bonus but not essential but i'm thinking the 16x16 would be just as good as the 16x20, in your opinion would that extra 4 inches have an advantage over the 16x16? I think everything could be done on the 16x16 so maybe i'd be better off going for that with the phoenix. Hard decision, i'd like one of each,lol.
Thanks again for all the help.

Tony

Old February 28th, 2007 Feb 28, 2007 11:10:53 AM -   #20 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,023 Times in 3,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewebmaster
Thanks for the replies and the info, appreciate it. Josh do you work at imprintables warehouse? I just recieved their catalog with a business card with bob robinsons email address, when I tried to send him an email it was returned with one of those damien errors. Still trying to find out if I really need the 16x20 or if I can do the same thing with the 15x15.
Thanks again,

Tony
Yes, Josh works for Imprintables.com . You can contact him directly with the info on this page:
https://www.t-shirtforums.com/view_im...sexclusive.htm

Old February 28th, 2007 Feb 28, 2007 1:57:05 PM -   #21 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

I am completely new to sublimation and fairly new to heat presses but I have an old air operated 12" X 12" top and bottom heat press which I love for applying small logo designs in large quantities. I now need a 16 X 20 press but would like to have top and bottom heat so I can press the front and back at one time. My dream press would have a shuttle & top and bottom heat at a reasonable price. Experiments on my small press work well. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old February 28th, 2007 Feb 28, 2007 2:17:21 PM -   #22 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Hi all,
Thanks Rodney for the link, Josh I tried to send bob an email and it got returned so I replied to your email and that got returned also, it must be my aol, anyway I sent you (josh) an instant message but haven't got a reply yet so i'm going to get my wife to call you tomorrow morning on the website number, yes i'm ready to order and can't wait. I'm going for the 16x20 mighty digital, on the site it says you only have red in stock and I wanted the green or black, I know we're being fussy but I heard you can deal with that,lol we're not that bad. Ok hopefully speak with you tomorrow, oh and if you see this before we call how long does it take for the press to be delivered?
Thanks all,
Tony

Old May 21st, 2007 May 21, 2007 7:24:49 AM -   #23 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: eddie

Hi
I am looking for information on the Geo Knight Jetpress 12.
I have been offer one at a cheap price.
Are they worth buying.
Regards

Old May 21st, 2007 May 21, 2007 7:45:49 AM -   #24 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Byron
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I have a 16x16 and a 16x20 heat press. Only problem I have with the 16x20 is that it emits too much heat, and the heat really tires me out after pressing.

Old May 21st, 2007 May 21, 2007 8:18:40 AM -   #25 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

which is better: Hix Presto 15 or Hix Swing 15? Both automated? Anyone has experience with the machines?

Old May 21st, 2007 May 21, 2007 8:27:44 AM -   #26 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: ernesto

hi everyone
the most important thing when we buy a heat press is the money we have
ii believe phoenix is good and the stahls etc etc i learn from this forum depends
how often you are going to used best recomendation from the people who know
this hobby is 15x15 no less than this i hope you find a good dealer to do business
and remember the warranty

Old May 21st, 2007 May 21, 2007 8:30:22 AM -   #27 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rusty

The Hix Presto is a clamshell model, which doesn't do very well with thicker items. The Swingman swings away and then lowers directly onto the substrate, so it can handle thicker items more effectively.

Most people say if all you do it T-shirts, then the Presto is fine. However if sublimating shirts, or using some vinyl on more delicate polyester fabrics, it is very helpful to use a Teflon pillow to reduce the pressure on the shirts. And the clamshell models don't work so well with the thick Teflon pillows. I use a Hix 400D which is a clamshell, but have rigged it where I can tilt the bottom pallet so that it applies uniform pressure when using a Teflon pillow. That wouldn't be a problem with a swing away press.

Old May 21st, 2007 May 21, 2007 6:26:54 PM -   #28 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

thanks for your info, rusty!

Old June 8th, 2007 Jun 8, 2007 2:59:07 PM -   #29 (permalink)
Pud
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Paul

I live in the UK and have found a firm called xpress (The X Press). Has anyone had dealings with this firm. They do heat presses, cutters, printers and embroidery machines and as they are based in the UK and offer training which I find quite appealing being a total newbie to this but I have never heard there name mentioned on here.
They say in there impressive brochure that they have 25 years in the business and the picture of the offices are very impressive although I think there prices may be a bit on the high side.
Can anyone suggest any other good firms that are based in the UK that offer similar and that preferably sell the Hix presses as they seem to be the ones most people prefer.

Old June 10th, 2007 Jun 10, 2007 2:46:02 AM -   #30 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

question for marc elliot... you said you had a 12*12 for small prints that did top and bottom, would you recommend this feature?

i just want to clear up a dumb question, would one of these presses also work well for screen printing?

whats the cheapest (stripped down) press with atleast one dimension thats over 12 inch you guys would recommend is the hix 15 the cheapest quality alternative?

what are disadvantages to a 12 inch press i seriously doubt ill be making anything huge, but im pretty sure alot of the designs will be something like 11.5 inches, should i just go for the 15 or what dissadvantages would this have? is there any like 15 x 12 models?

yea lol.. i guess im just trying to talk my way out ok, so say i looked at 15 inch, as far as basic clamshell what is recommended besides the hix at blanks?

This is a discussion about Need one more tip: which heat press? that was posted in the Heat Press and Heat Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in