Responses to: Using Iron All with my DTG Printer (Brother GT-541) - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers

Heat Press and Heat Transfer Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of heat press technology. Transfer paper, inks, plastisol transfers, vinyl cutters, printers, commercial usage, durability, suppliers, etc.

Responses to: Using Iron All with my DTG Printer (Brother GT-541)

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old September 24th, 2007 Sep 24, 2007 6:29:56 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Angela
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Responses to: Using Iron All with my DTG Printer (Brother GT-541)

Hi,

I don't want to take away from "Lou's" wonderful video reviewing the "New Iron All Dark" paper by answering questions to my statement made in that thread that...

"I was going to try some Iron All Dark with my DTG Printer".

First, when i say DTG printer i'm referring to my Brother GT-541 DTG Printer. I don't know if this will even work for the "epson modified printers" like the Kiosk, T-jet, etc. I say this because i had to "adjust the ink volume down from 10 to about 3-5 because paper doesn't need a lot of ink. I don't think the epson based models can adjust their ink volumes. One thing you may be able to do is make adjustments to the "brightness/contrast" in the design. I'm only guessing with this statement i don't know if it will work on not.

Anyway to answer the questions;

Quote:
If you own a DTG printer why would you want to print on opaque paper. A DTG printer gives a more screen printed look and feel than a heat transfer. If you don't have a DTG printer that prints on dark. It would be a good idea on trying to find an attachment instead of spending the money on opaque transfer paper. Just my opinion.
I'm sure there are others but here's a few reasons that come to mind;

1.) You want to print a few full color or photo designs which would not be economical to screenprint due to the cost per screen issue.
2.) You don't have an ink jet printer or the one you do have only can only prints up to 8.5" x 14".
3.) You want the ability to print larger than 11" x 17" (my dtg printer prints to 14" x 16")
4.) You have a DTG Printer that doesn't print white ink
5.) You want the glossy/shiny look that are being use in the hip hop community
that are selling for major $$$$ and some kid designs.
6.) Too Much Equipment already:

For me i have a Full Color Printer, A B&W multi-function printer, a Brother multifunction printer (ink runs so can't use it for transfers already tried) and an
Alps MD-5000 dry resin printer. Basically i don't have the space or feel it makes sense to buy an inkjet and let it sit waiting on requests to print a dark shirt. I can just lay the paper down on my dtg platen and print the design on it and press.

Quote:
This looks like a great one-off alternative for those of us who don't print darks with our DTG printers. For larger orders obviously plastisol transfers is the way to go.
Hi EB i'm not sure it will work for epson printer driver based DTG Printers as you need to reduce the ink volume being used as the paper doesn't need as much ink. But it doesn't hurt to give it a try.

MY RESULTS:

On my brother i was able to print some really vibrant and no color loss after washing designs. The only problem i hadn't resolved is that there was some slight banding horizontally across the design. Once I heat pressed the design onto the shirt it was not as noticable (the banding).

I think the banding was that the paper was "too low" since a t-shirt is thicker than a piece of paper. I thought about putting something under the paper to raise it but i shelved the idea to print on dark since i didn't like the feel of the transfer after washing so i am very interested in "Iron All"

Still here are some of my tests that may give hope to some "DTG Printer" owners that can't print white ink;

- Avery Dark Transfer Paper from your local office supply store:
http://www.promotees.com/samples/blacktees.jpg

- Dark transfer paper from Transfer Technology and/or a certain type of dark transfer paper (Roland Brand i don't have exact name handy).

http://www.promotees.com/samples/divashirt.jpg

I mentioned banding in the designs in this diva design the banding is in the pants of the shirt close to the knee and slightly below. I would "take a close up" but my granddaughter feel in love with the shirt and i gave it too her.

CRAFT ROBO PRO II:

"Lou's" mentioning of using his roland cutter (when he gets it to try doing text clipart) reminded me of my plans last year to do just that with my craft robo. If the Iron All Dark shows promise i may revisit my plans to try cutting out coutoured designs.

We'll that's my story for those of you that "PM'd me" about my statement and posted publicly in "lou's thread".

Signed,
Printchic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2007 Sep 24, 2007 8:52:43 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Default Re: Responses to: Using Iron All with my DTG Printer (Brother GT-541)

this is great Printchic! Thanks for the info!

Old September 24th, 2007 Sep 24, 2007 10:10:33 AM -   #3 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

badalou's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by printchic
Hi,

I don't want to take away from "Lou's" wonderful video reviewing the "New Iron All Dark" paper by answering questions to my statement made in that thread that...

"I was going to try some Iron All Dark with my DTG Printer".

First, when i say DTG printer i'm referring to my Brother GT-541 DTG Printer. I don't know if this will even work for the "epson modified printers" like the Kiosk, T-jet, etc. I say this because i had to "adjust the ink volume down from 10 to about 3-5 because paper doesn't need a lot of ink. I don't think the epson based models can adjust their ink volumes. One thing you may be able to do is make adjustments to the "brightness/contrast" in the design. I'm only guessing with this statement i don't know if it will work on not.

Anyway to answer the questions;

I'm sure there are others but here's a few reasons that come to mind;

1.) You want to print a few full color or photo designs which would not be economical to screenprint due to the cost per screen issue.
2.) You don't have an ink jet printer or the one you do have only can only prints up to 8.5" x 14".
3.) You want the ability to print larger than 11" x 17" (my dtg printer prints to 14" x 16")
4.) You have a DTG Printer that doesn't print white ink
5.) You want the glossy/shiny look that are being use in the hip hop community
that are selling for major $$$$ and some kid designs.
6.) Too Much Equipment already:

For me i have a Full Color Printer, A B&W multi-function printer, a Brother multifunction printer (ink runs so can't use it for transfers already tried) and an
Alps MD-5000 dry resin printer. Basically i don't have the space or feel it makes sense to buy an inkjet and let it sit waiting on requests to print a dark shirt. I can just lay the paper down on my dtg platen and print the design on it and press.

Hi EB i'm not sure it will work for epson printer driver based DTG Printers as you need to reduce the ink volume being used as the paper doesn't need as much ink. But it doesn't hurt to give it a try.

MY RESULTS:

On my brother i was able to print some really vibrant and no color loss after washing designs. The only problem i hadn't resolved is that there was some slight banding horizontally across the design. Once I heat pressed the design onto the shirt it was not as noticable (the banding).

I think the banding was that the paper was "too low" since a t-shirt is thicker than a piece of paper. I thought about putting something under the paper to raise it but i shelved the idea to print on dark since i didn't like the feel of the transfer after washing so i am very interested in "Iron All"

Still here are some of my tests that may give hope to some "DTG Printer" owners that can't print white ink;

- Avery Dark Transfer Paper from your local office supply store:
http://www.promotees.com/samples/blacktees.jpg

- Dark transfer paper from Transfer Technology and/or a certain type of dark transfer paper (Roland Brand i don't have exact name handy).

http://www.promotees.com/samples/divashirt.jpg

I mentioned banding in the designs in this diva design the banding is in the pants of the shirt close to the knee and slightly below. I would "take a close up" but my granddaughter feel in love with the shirt and i gave it too her.

CRAFT ROBO PRO II:

"Lou's" mentioning of using his roland cutter (when he gets it to try doing text clipart) reminded me of my plans last year to do just that with my craft robo. If the Iron All Dark shows promise i may revisit my plans to try cutting out coutoured designs.

We'll that's my story for those of you that "PM'd me" about my statement and posted publicly in "lou's thread".

Signed,
Printchic
believe me you did not take away anything but in fact added to it. There are some different methods out there for printing that I can not cover. Good job. Lou

Old September 24th, 2007 Sep 24, 2007 11:05:20 AM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,101 Posts

Just another thing to consider that I have heard people doing is get plastisol transfers of just the white underbase and press it to the shirt. Then print on the white underbase. Might have to use a second device to register the shirt on the platen in the proper location, but this individuals is stating the results are very good. I have not seen this done first hand. Just something to consider.

Old September 24th, 2007 Sep 24, 2007 11:53:52 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Angela

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAGuide
Just another thing to consider that I have heard people doing is get plastisol transfers of just the white underbase and press it to the shirt. Then print on the white underbase. Might have to use a second device to register the shirt on the platen in the proper location, but this individuals is stating the results are very good. I have not seen this done first hand. Just something to consider.
Hi DaGuide,

when you say "then print on the white underbase" are you saying "Print the Waterbase Ink" from a DTG Printer or are you saying "using a "Heat Transfer" like you print from your ink jet?

Just didn't get what you meant please clarify sounds very interesting.

Signed,
Printchic

This is a discussion about Responses to: Using Iron All with my DTG Printer (Brother GT-541) that was posted in the Heat Press and Heat Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in