Transfers wash and peel! - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers

Heat Press and Heat Transfer Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of heat press technology. Transfer paper, inks, plastisol transfers, vinyl cutters, printers, commercial usage, durability, suppliers, etc.

Transfers wash and peel!

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 17th, 2007 Jul 17, 2007 10:13:02 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Question Transfers wash and peel!

Hi Peep!

I heat pressed two t-shirt with two different transfer papers by following all instructions sent with the transfers used.

After pressing them they looked perfect and felt great. I washed them and the colours were still brilliant with no runs or fading what so ever.

The only problem was that one was wrinkly and both transfers peeled away from the t-shirts, and in parts I could pull them clean away from the t-shirt.

Now, I did everything to the book and made sure that the pressure of the heat platens on my basic clam press was so snug against the t-shirts that it was job in itself to release to open.

Can anyone tell me what they think could be the problem?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2007 Jul 24, 2007 4:16:44 PM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Byron
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default Re: Transfers wash and peel!

Did you use an inkjet transfer paper? Maybe the problem was in the quality of the transfer paper.

Old July 24th, 2007 Jul 24, 2007 4:41:19 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Don
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Don
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

[quote=fiddie;140598]Hi Peep!

The only problem was that one was wrinkly and both transfers peeled away from the t-shirts, and in parts I could pull them clean away from the t-shirt.

Now, I did everything to the book and made sure that the pressure of the heat platens on my basic clam press was so snug against the t-shirts that it was job in itself to release to open.
I press at 370°, 14 seconds, medimum to heavy pressure and peel immediately at 180° back over itself from corner to corner. This is with an inkjet using Magic Mix inks and MagicJet (Transjet ll) paper. Over 15,000 transfers with no peeling problems. If it was a Laser printer, I can't help you with that.

God Bless You
Don

Old July 24th, 2007 Jul 24, 2007 6:15:09 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Francis

I would check with manufacturer specs if it is a hot peel or cold peel. Hot peel, you have to peel the paper as soon as you pick up the handle, cold peel must cool down completely before you peel the paper, if you peel it off while hot, the paper will comes off also. Quality of tranfer paper is another, either laser or inkjet transfer. I have both and didn't have any problem with peeling off. Normally when peeling off is the problem, it is cause of either heat or pressure, but most of the time is pressure, I would go a bit heavier with my pressure specially when going with dark shirts. Going a bit higher heat is not bad also, in fact, on my transfer for darks, I tend to go up to 5 degree hotter than specs and about 2 deg. on whites. Hope this helps.

Old July 25th, 2007 Jul 25, 2007 12:17:01 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Wink Re: Transfers wash and peel!

Thanks for the replies.

The instructions dont mention anything about peeling it whilst still hot or to wait for it to cool down. I was previously and casually waiting for it to cool abit before peeling.

I've now tried peeling straight away, whilst hot and it's now perfect. Problem solved.

Thanks, advice well appreciated.

This is a discussion about Transfers wash and peel! that was posted in the Heat Press and Heat Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in