best Opaque transfer paper? need name soon! - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers

Heat Press and Heat Transfer Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of heat press technology. Transfer paper, inks, plastisol transfers, vinyl cutters, printers, commercial usage, durability, suppliers, etc.

best Opaque transfer paper? need name soon!

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old February 19th, 2006 Feb 19, 2006 2:45:11 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default best Opaque transfer paper? need name soon!

Hi, it's me...been awhile since my last post. THings have been Great!!
I Love the light transfer paper I get from BestBlanks. I bought prefilled ink from TLM (clogs a lot, but washes well).
However, I am NOT happy with Proworld's OPAQUE transfer onestep paper.

My eyes HURT from going through all the threads.

I need a recommendation for OPAQUE transfer paper.

I was going to invest in the TWO STep process, but I want to ask any of you first to see if That process FEELS better and lasts?

I don't/can't use Plastisol ,for our designs are Well over 7 colors! can you imagine our cost?!

So, Two step vs. One step?
and what company/brand for each?

super thanks for your reply when you can.
LindaLu

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2006 Feb 19, 2006 7:05:47 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,029 Times in 3,228 Posts

Default Re: best Opaque transfer paper? need name soon!

I found this post in a forum search for "opaque":
https://www.t-shirtforums.com/showpos...42&postcount=7

Does that help at all?

Old February 19th, 2006 Feb 19, 2006 7:56:36 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Jon

I use tshirtpaper.com for opaque paper. Their paper is really soft...I have never used two step paper.

Old February 20th, 2006 Feb 20, 2006 4:55:32 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

What I've heard recommended as the best opaque paper is what you can get from http://www.transfertechnology.com/ . They'll even send you a free sample.

That said, I don't think anyone should ever use opaque transfers myself. As far as I've seen and heard, even the best are pretty poor quality, and their uses are extremely limited.

Old February 20th, 2006 Feb 20, 2006 7:06:15 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Jon

Quote:
That said, I don't think anyone should ever use opaque transfers myself. As far as I've seen and heard, even the best are pretty poor quality, and their uses are extremely limited.
I respect your opinion twinge, but I do disagree with you to some degree. For about my first year in business, I never used opaque transfers, becuase of the bad reviews that I had on this and other sites. But recently I tried them for myself and their really not as bad as everyone makes them out to be. I mean when you first put the transfer on the shirt, It looks amazing. The images does deteriorate over time with washing. For hip hop t-shirts in particular though, this has become the standard, and people know what they are getting, so people have been happy up to this point with shirts I have sold them with opaque transfers.

Old February 21st, 2006 Feb 21, 2006 12:03:07 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Ah, depends on your market too, of course. I guess if the standard for your target market is 'fall apart after a year' then you're good to go But yeah, different people will have different expectations of how well thier t-shirt will last, the feel, etc.

I did try one myself and I really didn't like the feel or look (not to mention how few things I could even use them for since they transfer the 'white' part) so I'll never use them again; it's not something I personally would ever want to wear =)

Old February 24th, 2006 Feb 24, 2006 3:28:49 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

thanks for the help.
Again, I cannot afford silkscreen nor plastisol for the amount of colors I use, so please, those comments I cannot "use"

I received my sample from Transfer Tech, I'll try em soon!

I still would like to hear from someone about the TWO step process, where you use your light Transfer paper to print. Then, you press a white sheet and transfer paper together. Cool, then cut out as usual. Then peel and put sticky side on garment and Press again.
It's a lot of work, but if the quality is great..I'm in.

Anyone experience this?

LLu

Old September 1st, 2007 Sep 1, 2007 3:45:06 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Hi Jon,
Jusr cutious what kind of paper your using for dark shirts?
How many washes approximately can it withstand if washed as instructed?

Old September 2nd, 2007 Sep 2, 2007 4:28:14 AM -   #9 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Luis
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,130 Times in 837 Posts

There is a company in California, Unique4YouOnline.com Website, that sells no cut inkjet transfer paper for lights just like Kisscut. The company also sells opaque transfer paper. One of the members, https://www.t-shirtforums.com/members...arterohio.html, is currently testing the opaque transfer. He owns a Tjet2 so I would say he would be critical about opaque transfer quality and can best judge a good opaque transfer paper. Probably a PM to him will do justice to find out how his test is coming along.

I bought sample from the company for testing. I will be posting the result of my test.

Old September 4th, 2007 Sep 4, 2007 7:30:14 AM -   #10 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerlanski
Hi Jon,
Jusr cutious what kind of paper your using for dark shirts?
How many washes approximately can it withstand if washed as instructed?
Well, jdr has been away from the forums for almost a year now, so I don't imagine you'll get an answer from him directly The paper he recommended was from tshirtpaper.com.

The 'Blue Grid' opaque transfer has been fairly popular on these boards recently as well (with Lou and others), so you might give it a try as well.

I wouldn't expect any opaque transfer to last more than a year from printing (still remain in good condition, that is), though. Even the best tend to peel or crack over time, and you really can't count on a customer to wash as directed - a lot of people are just gonna toss it in hot water no matter what you tell them. Plastisol transfers or vinyl are better options when you can use them.

Old September 4th, 2007 Sep 4, 2007 1:33:32 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinge
Ah, depends on your market too, of course. I guess if the standard for your target market is 'fall apart after a year' then you're good to go But yeah, different people will have different expectations of how well thier t-shirt will last, the feel, etc.

I did try one myself and I really didn't like the feel or look (not to mention how few things I could even use them for since they transfer the 'white' part) so I'll never use them again; it's not something I personally would ever want to wear =)
You may want to take a look at Freedom transfers at F&M Expressions - HOME They are plastisol, but what is unique about these transfers is that you are not paying for each color, but for the transfer sheet size. Gang them up on the large sheet. I have not ordered any yet, but I am in the process & most of those on this forum who have used them say good things. You can use them on whites, darks, or any color shirts & you don't have to trim around the design like you do with Inkjet transfers.

Old September 5th, 2007 Sep 5, 2007 5:38:20 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Hey Yehudah,
Thanks for the info, I'll check them out.. Do you know if there is a min. sheet that has to be ordered and if they ship to Canada?

Old September 7th, 2007 Sep 7, 2007 11:50:28 AM -   #13 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Hey Yehudah,
Thanks for the info, I'll check them out.. Do you know if there is a min. sheet that has to be ordered and if they ship to Canada?
I think the minimums go pretty low technically - 12 or so probably. However, I'd say the minimum to be cost effective is around 100 pieces.

I imagine they would ship to Canada easily enough, though you should probably contact them directly to make sure.

Old September 7th, 2007 Sep 7, 2007 1:54:31 PM -   #14 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,029 Times in 3,228 Posts

Quote:
Hey Yehudah,
They have a minimum of 8 pieces at F&M

This is a discussion about best Opaque transfer paper? need name soon! that was posted in the Heat Press and Heat Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in