T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Graphics and Design Help

Graphics and Design Help Category Sponsor

Get advice to help you create your t-shirt graphics. Discuss t-shirt design software, special effect techniques, or other topics related to creating a t-shirt design on your computer. If you'd rather hire a graphic designer to do the work for you, please post in our Referrals and Recommendations section here.

Turn a pixelated JPEG to a ready to cut plotter design.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By webtrekker
  • 1 Post By Ripcord
  • 1 Post By webtrekker

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 19th, 2020 Mar 19, 2020 1:12:07 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Question Turn a pixelated JPEG to a ready to cut plotter design.

Hi guys,

I'm having issues with customers giving me logos and designs for vinyl printing saved as a jpeg file.

Is there a quick or easy way to save as much detail without altering the design too much (or just a better way to work!!) as using online vector software makes the letters wonky and out of shape.

Much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 19th, 2020 Mar 19, 2020 5:15:14 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default Re: Turn a pixelated JPEG to a ready to cut plotter design.

You need to be strict with your customers or you'll have no end of troubles.

Tell them you'll only accept bitmap designs in a native resolution of at least 300 dpi. Add on an extra charge for any designs you have to vectorise yourself. Or, to make things even easier for yourself, tell them you'll only accept vector files, of type svg, eps, ai, etc.
into the T likes this.

Old March 19th, 2020 Mar 19, 2020 8:31:20 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Edward

like webtrekker said, this can turn into a constant thorn in your side
best to lay out some ground rules for art-submissions

Old April 10th, 2020 Apr 10, 2020 5:48:33 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Kenny

As much as having artwork submission guidelines might help people get you the files that you need, you're still going to get junk files to work with. The best thing to do is learn how to use your vector drawing tools in whatever software you're using. This is pretty much a required thing to know if you're in this industry. There is no "quick & easy way" to get a detailed image from a crappy jpeg other than using a service or doing it yourself. Becoming reliant on using outside services all the time might find you in a situation where cost or turnaround time might be an issue, so knowing how to do it yourself can save you in a last minute situation. I'm not saying you have to be a top level vector illustrator, but knowing how to use the tools and being able to recreate simple to intermediate images and text will be an extremely useful skill set to have. I do most of the vectorization I need in house, but I will send out jobs to Vector Doctor if I'm swamped and need a quicker turnaround than I can do myself. Another thing to consider with being able to do that in house is, whatever you bill the customer for the art recreation only has your overhead labor cost attached to it, not an out-of-pocket expense that you may or may not be able to upcharge on.

Old April 12th, 2020 Apr 12, 2020 7:25:43 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Neil
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

There is a lot you can do with a pixelated image in order to get a better vector trace from it. I put this video on YouTube a couple of years ago to show I how often do it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ98jVb0M9o

A redraw is most often the ideal solution but that can be too time-consuming for a small order.
into the T likes this.

Old April 12th, 2020 Apr 12, 2020 2:25:29 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

If you really must use low-res, pixellated images then try blurring the edges slightly (Photoshop, Gaussian Blur effect) before vectorising.
Ripcord likes this.

Old April 13th, 2020 Apr 13, 2020 6:28:34 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: John

I have some success with CorelDraw17 auto trace, as long as there is only one or two colors, and lots of contrast.
a little clean up with adjusting nodes often is faster than trying to recreate a logo or design.
If you have too many colors, fades, gradients could be more trouble in tracing than the time is worth.
Ask for clean AI, EPS, or some other vector file, usually whoever created the image can convert it to a vector file.
hope this helps.

This is a discussion about Turn a pixelated JPEG to a ready to cut plotter design. that was posted in the Graphics and Design Help section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in