Affinity Photo, Designer, and Publisher-anyone have much experience with them? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Graphics and Design Help

Graphics and Design Help Category Sponsor

Get advice to help you create your t-shirt graphics. Discuss t-shirt design software, special effect techniques, or other topics related to creating a t-shirt design on your computer. If you'd rather hire a graphic designer to do the work for you, please post in our Referrals and Recommendations section here.

Affinity Photo, Designer, and Publisher-anyone have much experience with them?

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By webtrekker
  • 1 Post By PatWibble
  • 1 Post By ProSeparatorNJ
  • 1 Post By into the T
  • 1 Post By ProSeparatorNJ
  • 1 Post By PatWibble

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old 1 Week Ago Nov 4, 2019 10:39:37 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Francois
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Affinity Photo, Designer, and Publisher-anyone have much experience with them?

howdy, everyone!

A friend of mine turned me on to the Affinity suite over the weekend, and I've been looking for a really good, low cost alternative to Adobe (to give you an idea, I started with photoshop 1, Illustrator 88, and Quark Xpress 3.0-yeah, I've been doing this awhile!). I went ahead and downloaded the test versions today...

So far, did a couple retouch jobs in Photo, haven't tried the others yet. At this point, I'm impressed-functions are fairly similar, most of the keyboard commands are the same, and I'm able to get work done without stopping and thinking about what I'm doing-the workflow is similar enough that I'm not fighting the program too much.

From the poking around I've done, it's a pretty deep program, ala Photoshop-I haven't tried pulling simulated seps with it or anything really tough, but I'm encouraged by what I have seen.

I'd love to hear from others who have used Affinity, and does it make sense to use this as your graphics backbone? I'm a hardcore Adobe guy, but at $54/month per seat in our business (5 seats total) I have to look at all options on the table-$150 per seat, one time, to cover nearly all our graphics software sure sounds better than $270 per month...

thanks in advance,
Francois

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago Nov 5, 2019 9:54:55 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Stone
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Default Re: Affinity Photo, Designer, and Publisher-anyone have much experience with them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrest
howdy, everyone!

From the poking around I've done, it's a pretty deep program, ala Photoshop-I haven't tried pulling simulated seps with it or anything really tough, but I'm encouraged by what I have seen.

I'd love to hear from others who have used Affinity, and does it make sense to use this as your graphics backbone? I'm a hardcore Adobe guy, but at $54/month per seat in our business (5 seats total) I have to look at all options on the table-$150 per seat, one time, to cover nearly all our graphics software sure sounds better than $270 per month...

thanks in advance,
Francois

I wonder what it is that you see that you find encouraging. I definitely didn't see whatever that was. If I weren't using CC, I'd be using CS3, or 2 or older. The tools I need for t-shirt work was mature long ago. Affinity software doesn't have any particular focus on this kind of work and those programs are just skeletal in general.

If you don't want to spring for Adobe, then the next best thing is Coreldraw. I think those are the only games in town.

Trying to force AD and Photo to do what you need will be a huge time waster.

Old 1 Week Ago Nov 6, 2019 1:24:30 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Let's face it, designing for t-shirts isn't rocket science. Photoshop, Illustrator and Coreldraw, although fantastic at what they do, are just expensive overkill for many on limited budgets.

I use Photoshop (now CC2020) but mainly because I have interests in other areas of grahic design and the extra features, particularly Smart Objects, are a boon to me. However, I've tried out Affinity Designer and Photo and they're certainly viable options for most of the product printing I do.
into the T likes this.

Old 1 Week Ago Nov 6, 2019 1:44:53 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Pat

Default Re: Affinity Photo, Designer, and Publisher-anyone have much experience with them?

I am a long term Serif Drawplus user ( the direct predecesor to Affinity Desinger) and I don't like Affinity. I only use it if I need something that requires colour management.

Yes, you can do most things that you can with more expensive software ( and with very good results), but the workflow is so bad that it can only be described at being aimed at people with low expectations/casual users such as iPad owners.

I get the impression that the package has been rushed to market before it is fully functioning. It is missing some basic features that make it a time consuming PITA to use. Without getting into any of the high end features - I have'nt used it enough to comment - here are some of the things I dislike about the general, day to day, basic tools-
  • no zoom tool permanently displayed on screen
  • no Undo/Redo arrows permanently displayed on screen
  • no auto trace
  • no photo lab
  • no cut out studio for removing backgrounds in photos
  • no contour tool
  • no adjustment arrows on any of the numerical values you may enter ( RGB/CMYK, dimensions,XY values, brush sizes etc etc etc). You either have to use sliders (imprecise) or enter the values (slow).
Those are just the features I use for every design - only small omissions but very time consuming ones. Some are available through the drop down menus but that doesn't make for easy workflow.
into the T likes this.

Last edited by PatWibble; 1 Week Ago at 03:17 AM..

Old 1 Week Ago Nov 6, 2019 6:52:56 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatWibble
I am a long term Serif Drawplus user ( the direct predecesor to Affinity Desinger) and I don't like Affinity. I only use it if I need something that requires colour management.

I remember when you mentioned that you'd decided to buy that software. I'd been meaning to ask how you were getting along with it. I also have it so I knew that it didn't have a whole lot to offer with regards to screen printing. But there is one use I have for it that has been useful. Very often, I receive Illustrator art from customers where the links are missing. Illustrator can't do anything with this, but Affinity Designer actually somehow produces those missing links. I've no idea how that works. But, I can open that file with AD with the art that was missing, save it out as pdf, then open it again in Illustrator. So, maybe that will give you some more use out of it. Also, the Affinity software might be able to open some file formats that Adobe doesn't. .webp is one of those that I've discovered so far that won't open i Adobe software, but does in Affinity Designer. And occasionally, I've created an SVG with Illustrator that immediately can't be opened with Illustrator! LOL However, Affinity Designer actually did open it. So every now and then, my little helper apps save the day.
PatWibble likes this.

Old 1 Week Ago Nov 6, 2019 8:45:17 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Edward
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatWibble
....but the workflow is so bad that it can only be described at being aimed at people with low expectations/casual users such as iPad owners.
zing!

another option is xara photo & graphic designer, i use this and serif drawplus
it is worth taking it for a test drive, it is a hybrid raster/vector like affinity,
and only has a one time cost of ~$50
(pat will like that you can add any buttons needed to any top/side menu)
PatWibble likes this.

Old 1 Week Ago Nov 6, 2019 11:29:43 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

For AI files with broken links, you can "Place" the file in a new document and flatten transparency!

Old 1 Week Ago Nov 6, 2019 1:25:27 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 613OriginalsRick
For AI files with broken links, you can "Place" the file in a new document and flatten transparency!

Trying it now............

Wow, I didn't even have to flatten transparency. Just drag and drop, then embed it and it's there. Thanks for the tip. I spent years asking the customer for the missing link, or whatever. Then I resolved it using other software. And all along, I could have sorted it out with just Illustrator. LOL

Old 1 Week Ago Nov 7, 2019 1:27:39 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by into the T
(pat will like that you can add any buttons needed to any top/side menu)

It is the missing buttons that are the major headache. They are basic items that every graphic program has and as such are intuitive. Even Graphtec Studio has them.....

Like Stone, I have found that Affinity allows me to open more documents more accurately than drawplus does which is a saving grace.

I'll persevere with Affinity while they are rolling out version 1 upgrades, but if they don't bring the features up to Drawplus X8 level (as part of version 1) then I won't be paying to upgrade to version 2.
into the T likes this.

Old 1 Week Ago Nov 8, 2019 9:03:07 AM -   #10 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

The other way I view the Affinity stuff is as a part of my eventual exit strategy when I finally do leave Adobe. The Affinity programs do a pretty good job of opening Illustrator and Photoshop files. One problem with the subscription system is that when you stop the subscription, you loose the software that created all of your files. That is a real problem that we may not think about until it is upon us. When that day comes, I expect to use Affinity software to at least be able to open and access the files, even if it's not perfect. That day is definitely coming and Adobe isn't saying anything about what they're going to do to remedy that situation. I guess they have no intention of remedying that situation.

This is a discussion about Affinity Photo, Designer, and Publisher-anyone have much experience with them? that was posted in the Graphics and Design Help section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in