T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Graphics and Design Help

Graphics and Design Help Category Sponsor

Get advice to help you create your t-shirt graphics. Discuss t-shirt design software, special effect techniques, or other topics related to creating a t-shirt design on your computer. If you'd rather hire a graphic designer to do the work for you, please post in our Referrals and Recommendations section here.

Simple Ai Design - For T shirt help

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By samuelzr1

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old May 31st, 2019 May 31, 2019 12:31:32 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Question Simple Ai Design - For T shirt help

Possibly a dumb question, but I am having a hard time understanding sizing on adobe illustrator. I want to make a shirt with basically just text, but how can I know how the text will look on the shirt in relation to what I am seeing on the screen? For instance, on tee spring I can see clearly how it will look as it shows me an example of it on a shirt.

if anyone can give insight on this I appreicate it or has any resources to better lean this system. I checked youtube, but most of it does not seem to pertain to shirt making designs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2019 May 31, 2019 2:38:23 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Dave

Default Re: Simple Ai Design - For T shirt help

Hi, I simply make a scaled T-shirt mockup in Illustrator with the shirt pic (white) on one layer and a vector path on another for the shirt colour. You can change the shirt colour to whatever you desire. Simply scale your full size artwork to 10% and position on the shirt. Unfortunately I cannot do a 'displacement layer' as done in Photoshop where the shading of the shirt appears through the print but it does give you a good idea of how the printed garment will look. Here is a link to one I just made for you. https://www.dropbox.com/s/gjbrp49uv9...010%25.ai?dl=0
Let me know if you need it in an earlier version of Illustrator.

Old June 2nd, 2019 Jun 2, 2019 10:09:44 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Just friendly & helpful

Where are you located?

Old June 3rd, 2019 Jun 3, 2019 1:40:02 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Dave

I am in Auckland, New Zealand.

Old June 3rd, 2019 Jun 3, 2019 10:53:21 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDave
I am in Auckland, New Zealand.

I do exactly what your wanting to do in ai. Send me a pm and we can try to setup a live session and chat and i can show etc how to do it so there isnt any confusion.

Old June 7th, 2019 Jun 7, 2019 6:55:21 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelzr1
Possibly a dumb question, but I am having a hard time understanding sizing on adobe illustrator. I want to make a shirt with basically just text, but how can I know how the text will look on the shirt in relation to what I am seeing on the screen? For instance, on tee spring I can see clearly how it will look as it shows me an example of it on a shirt.

if anyone can give insight on this I appreicate it or has any resources to better lean this system. I checked youtube, but most of it does not seem to pertain to shirt making designs.

Your inbox is full. i cant respond back to you in pm . Delete your messages bud and write me again or send me your email in a message .

Old June 7th, 2019 Jun 7, 2019 7:06:58 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDave
Hi, I simply make a scaled T-shirt mockup in Illustrator with the shirt pic (white) on one layer and a vector path on another for the shirt colour. You can change the shirt colour to whatever you desire. Simply scale your full size artwork to 10% and position on the shirt. Unfortunately I cannot do a 'displacement layer' as done in Photoshop where the shading of the shirt appears through the print but it does give you a good idea of how the printed garment will look. Here is a link to one I just made for you. https://www.dropbox.com/s/gjbrp49uv9...010%25.ai?dl=0
Let me know if you need it in an earlier version of Illustrator.
Hi sorry to be a pain, Could you make a hoodie mochup please.im having trouble getting a front and back hoodie moch up

Old 4 Weeks Ago Jun 14, 2019 11:41:15 AM -   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Emilio

Hi Sam,

It should be quite simple. Set up a page that is the same size as the screen you will be using. Make the rulers in Illustrator visible along the edges of your computer screen. Then determine how big you want your design to be, and start drawing it accordingly, using the rulers as a guide.

If you already have a design drawn, then size it up or down to the desired size. Even without the rulers visible, you can see the overall size of your design once you select it.

A T-shirt mock-up might be a helpful guide too, but keep in mind that the mock-up is not accurate because it is 2-dimensional. In real life, the shirt will wrap around the body, so portions of your design that are near the edges of your mock up might look good on the computer but will be less visible when the shirt warps around the side of your body.

So, instead, just put on a T-shirt and figure out how far your want your design to extend on the sides (and also up and down). Use a measuring tape to find out how wide and how tall the desired design should be. Let's say, you decide you want the design to be 12 inches wide (about 30 cm). And maybe 14 inches tall (about 35 cm).

Then in Adobe Illustrator (or Corel Draw) simply draw a rectangle with those exact dimensions on your Guides layer. Then draw your design within that rectangle.

I almost always use this rectangle as a guide to how large my design should be. Anything within the rectangle should fit very nicely on the T-shirt.

This is a discussion about Simple Ai Design - For T shirt help that was posted in the Graphics and Design Help section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in