Can I pay people to make my graphics, and also buy the rights to them? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Graphics and Design Help

Graphics and Design Help Category Sponsor

Get advice to help you create your t-shirt graphics. Discuss t-shirt design software, special effect techniques, or other topics related to creating a t-shirt design on your computer. If you'd rather hire a graphic designer to do the work for you, please post in our Referrals and Recommendations section here.

Can I pay people to make my graphics, and also buy the rights to them?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old October 28th, 2006 Oct 28, 2006 8:29:51 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Former Member
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Can I pay people to make my graphics, and also buy the rights to them?

Hi, I was thinking about buying photoshop and adobe illustrator to make my own graphics for my tshirts, but I figured that mught take too much time to learn the programs fully. So I wanted to know if there are graphic companies out there that would not leak what you are having designed, and if you can buy the rights to the graphics??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 28th, 2006 Oct 28, 2006 9:11:39 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Greg
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default Re: Can I pay people to make my graphics, and also buy the rights to them?

There are many freelance artists that can do this for you.

Check out these sites:

www.ifreelance.com
www.getafreelancer.com
www.elance.com
www.designoutpost.com

Also, here is a great thread about hiring freelance artists:

https://www.t-shirtforums.com/showthr...elance+artists

Old October 30th, 2006 Oct 30, 2006 6:01:25 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Drew
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default Re: Can I pay people to make my graphics, and also buy the rights to them?

sure can!...
...but buying full rights, usually costs a great deal from any established artists.
whereas you can get a lesser known artist to realease full rights...for peanuts...but it always has to be stated in writing.

Old October 30th, 2006 Oct 30, 2006 7:32:48 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Nate

Yes, it is possible.

I do this, but usually reserve the right to use the piece in my electronic and physical portfolio.

Nate

Old October 30th, 2006 Oct 30, 2006 8:03:38 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Former Member
T-Shirt Aficionado

I'm actually gonna try and make it myself (thats rare for me), and see what I can actually do with the programs. If I cant, I'm gonna hire a freelance artist locally from Ontario, Canada here, so I can get one on one with him/her to get what I need to the T.

Old October 30th, 2006 Oct 30, 2006 8:14:58 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Greg
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Cody, I understand that you want someone local. But if I were you, I wouldn't limit myself to that.

I used one of the sites I linked to, and got EXACTLY what I wanted! I'm in Tennessee and the artist that did my work is in Michigan.

He created a character for me, and didn't stop until I was completely satisfied. There were numerous revisions. But I don't think it would have gone any better if we were face to face.

Email is perfect for something like that. If you find someone on the web that does great work, at a great price, I don't think the quality of the work will be much better just because you meet with them in person.

Just my opinion. Hope it helps.

Last edited by Rodney; October 30th, 2006 at 12:13 PM..

Old October 30th, 2006 Oct 30, 2006 9:12:52 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Former Member
T-Shirt Aficionado

Everyone's cool and nice for helping me!

Old November 17th, 2006 Nov 17, 2006 11:33:34 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

you can search for books with customizable graphics and you can edit as you want, these books usually are free of copyrights. contact me i´ll show you how to get a good book.

Old November 17th, 2006 Nov 17, 2006 12:17:46 PM -   #9 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Thanked 6,031 Times in 3,228 Posts

Quote:
contact me i´ll show you how to get a good book.
If it's not your book, feel free to post it here for all to see. That way people don't have to contact you to get the info

Old November 17th, 2006 Nov 17, 2006 1:30:17 PM -   #10 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Fluid's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Richard
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

Quote:
Cody, I understand that you want someone local. But if I were you, I wouldn't limit myself to that.

I used one of the sites I linked to, and got EXACTLY what I wanted! I'm in Tennessee and the artist that did my work is in Michigan.

He created a character for me, and didn't stop until I was completely satisfied. There were numerous revisions. But I don't think it would have gone any better if we were face to face.

Email is perfect for something like that. If you find someone on the web that does great work, at a great price, I don't think the quality of the work will be much better just because you meet with them in person.
Im with Greg. Dont let the long distance keep you from working with someone. You might get a better rate and better art.

Old November 18th, 2006 Nov 18, 2006 4:40:10 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Ok, The web page is lobuedesign.com in a few days will be translated to english, and will be possible to check the graphics before you buy, i have contacted the designer, he has been doing some works in my city.

Last edited by Rodney; November 20th, 2006 at 12:27 PM..

Old November 19th, 2006 Nov 19, 2006 8:54:56 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Hi all , found this forum yesterday really could have used it few months ago but aw well better late than never.

So for first post you already have your answer about the rights issue but as a graphic artist who has done this a number of times the best way to do this is to specify that you want the rights upfront.

If they dont provide some written evidence signing the rights to you there still is a chance that in a legal battle it would be theirs as far as ownership goes.

So if they dont have something in writing for you id suggest you write something up and have it witness like a legal document then seal it in envelope and mail it to yourself and dont open it this method has the dates from the post office and stamp so does help.

Also try to get a few different artists prices and ask them the price dif for the rights, most people are easy going and will give them at no extra costs so if you find some that expect you do pay an arm and a leg id advise trying another.

I belive when you are paid to provide a client with a product you give them the product!

Old November 19th, 2006 Nov 19, 2006 9:01:25 PM -   #13 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Solmu's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lewis
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribull Graphics
id suggest you write something up and have it witness like a legal document then seal it in envelope and mail it to yourself and dont open it this method has the dates from the post office and stamp so does help.
Not really, since you could have sent an unsealed envelope, or carefully opened the envelope and re-sealed it; this is basically related to the poor man's copyright myth.

For a contract, having both parties sign it and legally witnessed as you suggest should be entirely sufficient (assuming the contract is legal, and therefore can be binding ).

Old November 19th, 2006 Nov 19, 2006 9:35:44 PM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Member

ok here is me two cents. when you hire an artist do a contract specify what you are paying, that the design can't be released untill after said date and that it is work for hire (you own the rights). don't be afraid of a contract it spells out what you will do and what they will do.you might also check local colleges for graphic arts students, they can intern for your company which means you don't spend a fortune in art costs.

Old November 20th, 2006 Nov 20, 2006 12:36:09 PM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Drew

Just a tip for using freelancers....make sure they know how to design for apparel graphics.

and if they don't ....negotiate that into your price, because it may cost you elsewhere.

You may have additional charges / or additional work if you are screenprinting....because art has to be color separated to be printed on a tee....even in Direct to Garment applications, there is usually some tweaking that needs to be done.

This is a discussion about Can I pay people to make my graphics, and also buy the rights to them? that was posted in the Graphics and Design Help section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in