T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Graphics and Design Help

Graphics and Design Help Category Sponsor

Get advice to help you create your t-shirt graphics. Discuss t-shirt design software, special effect techniques, or other topics related to creating a t-shirt design on your computer. If you'd rather hire a graphic designer to do the work for you, please post in our Referrals and Recommendations section here.

Seperating colors for screen printing

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old September 27th, 2006 Sep 27, 2006 11:02:09 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Seperating colors for screen printing

I have a design that has three colors in it and the Screen Printer asked me to seperate the colors myself and it would be cheaper. How do you seperate colors in Photoshop? Is this what a normal screen printer would do without charging you for it or is this guy just being lazy?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2006 Sep 27, 2006 11:35:24 AM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Fluid's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Richard
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

Default Re: Seperating colors for screen printing

We charge for separating art and We charge for creating art. It is time and time costs money. It has taken me 10 years to learn what I know. I dont just give that away. Just like any and most screen printing companies, you will be charges for services rendered. Separating art to print correctly on a shirt is an art all on its own. I can gurantee you he is not being lazy.
can you post a visual of the image in question. Place a watermark for protection purposes but a visual will help to help you.

Old September 27th, 2006 Sep 27, 2006 12:35:07 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,029 Times in 3,228 Posts

Quote:
Is this what a normal screen printer would do without charging you for it or is this guy just being lazy?
Not all screen printers will charge you extra for separating art. Not all printers will charge you for creating art. Some will and some won't.

If you have a relationship with that printer and you like the quality of their work, then it might be worth it for you to work out the color separations yourself.

If you are still shopping around for a printer, it's possible that you can find one that does quality work, but doesn't charge for separating art.

Quote:
We charge for separating art and We charge for creating art. It is time and time costs money. It has taken me 10 years to learn what I know. I dont just give that away. Just like any and most screen printing companies, you will be charges for services rendered.
Richard definitely speaks from experience. It's true that many screen printers will charge for each service rendered.

However, there are also printers that don't charge for the artwork services they provide to get the art done.

It's not universal that all printers will charge you for separating art, although many will be very happy if you can provide "camera ready" artwork.

Like Richard said though, I wouldn't call it being "lazy", just different companies select to run their business in different ways and focus their profit margins in different areas.

Old September 27th, 2006 Sep 27, 2006 1:22:41 PM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Fluid's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Richard
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

Better said than I. Thanks Rodney

This is a discussion about Seperating colors for screen printing that was posted in the Graphics and Design Help section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in