T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Graphics and Design Help

Graphics and Design Help Category Sponsor

Get advice to help you create your t-shirt graphics. Discuss t-shirt design software, special effect techniques, or other topics related to creating a t-shirt design on your computer. If you'd rather hire a graphic designer to do the work for you, please post in our Referrals and Recommendations section here.

[Illustrator] - How To Fit Bounding Box To Text?

Like Tree5Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old January 7th, 2015 Jan 7, 2015 6:13:59 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Edwin
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default How To Fit Bounding Box To Text?

When working with text I need to know the exact letter height, not the em height and without the leading as is included in the illustrator bounding box around type.

I need it exactly the way it would measure if converting the text to outlines. Converting text to outlines gives me that measurement. But then the text is no longer "live", thus, I can't make any changes if need be.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 7th, 2015 Jan 7, 2015 10:01:39 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Default Re: How To Fit Bounding Box To Text?

One workaround that I know of is to go to Edit > Preferences > General and check Use Preview Bounds. Then select your typed letter with the Selection Tool (V) and go to Effect > Path > Outline Object. You now have a bounding box which hugs the text tightly, so you can see and adjust its true dimensions in the Transform window.

If you later want to remove the Outline Object effect, select the text with the Selection Tool (V) and click the Clear Appearance button at the bottom of the Appearance window.
miktoxic likes this.

Last edited by MaximRecoil; January 7th, 2015 at 10:08 AM..

Old January 7th, 2015 Jan 7, 2015 10:10:23 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Former Member
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Andre
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

What's "Bounding box"? I think that was called "The Extent of Selection" in earlier CorelDraw versions. Wait, were you talking about CorelDraw?

Old January 7th, 2015 Jan 7, 2015 3:36:27 PM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: tim
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadyEyeGraphics
What's "Bounding box"? I think that was called "The Extent of Selection" in earlier CorelDraw versions. Wait, were you talking about CorelDraw?
sounds like illustrator to me.

Old January 8th, 2015 Jan 8, 2015 7:18:18 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Lemorris

Easiest way if it's text converted to outlines, just look at the info pallet. (ctrl + f8) It tells you what the height is right there. Width too. It's a realtime readout.

or....You can use the ruler which is under the eye dropper tool.

Click and drag from one side of the text to the other. The Info box gives you realtime readout of height. In preferences I set my unit of measure to inches, but you can get points, picas, pixels and maybe something else that starts with the letter P.

You could also turn on your window ruler (ctrl+r) click and drag from the upper left corner of the page ruler gives you the ability to set where the page says 0,0 is. Its way cool.

Set 0.0 on the upper left corner on your text and then drag 2 guides down, one on top, one on the bottom of the text and your page ruler will tell you the height.

Old January 8th, 2015 Jan 8, 2015 7:29:07 AM -   #6 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwinard
When working with text I need to know the exact letter height, not the em height and without the leading as is included in the illustrator bounding box around type.

I need it exactly the way it would measure if converting the text to outlines. Converting text to outlines gives me that measurement. But then the text is no longer "live", thus, I can't make any changes if need be.
those are all ways to do it.

why don't you pull up the rulers for the workspace, drag your text next to it, zoom in and look to see what height the letters are? if you need it a specific height drag guidelines down from above and set them to the top and bottom measurement you need and then either constrain drag your bounding box so the text fits within the guides or select text and use the point size settings in the character window to effect the change?

Old January 8th, 2015 Jan 8, 2015 9:13:53 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximRecoil
One workaround that I know of is to go to Edit > Preferences > General and check Use Preview Bounds. Then select your typed letter with the Selection Tool (V) and go to Effect > Path > Outline Object. You now have a bounding box which hugs the text tightly, so you can see and adjust its true dimensions in the Transform window.

If you later want to remove the Outline Object effect, select the text with the Selection Tool (V) and click the Clear Appearance button at the bottom of the Appearance window.
I'll add that the text remains live/editable with this method and it doesn't change the appearance of the text at all. Furthermore, the Outline Object effect can be removed at any time (though there isn't a need to do so that I know of).

I made a quick video demonstrating this - YouTube link. As you can see, the 72-point Times New Roman capital letter S is showing as being 40.043 x 81.946 points, because that's the dimensions of its bounding box, which is much larger than the letter itself. When I apply the Outline Object effect, the bounding box shrinks to the size of the letter itself, so now we see (and can adjust) its true dimensions of 31.676 x 49.852 points. Note that the text is still live (which I demonstrated by backspacing to erase it and then typing a letter D in its place), and it hasn't changed in appearance at all. This is exactly what the OP was looking to do.

I'm pointing this out because Outline Object sounds suspiciously like Create Outlines, which is a completely different function that does the exact same thing as Object > Expand..., i.e., it permanently converts the text to ordinary vector objects, making it no longer live/editable, which the OP specifically does not want to do.

Last edited by MaximRecoil; January 8th, 2015 at 09:22 AM..

The Following User Says Thank You to MaximRecoil For This Useful Post:
customapparelpro (January 18th, 2015)
Old January 8th, 2015 Jan 8, 2015 3:36:37 PM -   #8 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
I'm pointing this out because Outline Object sounds suspiciously like Create Outlines, which is a completely different function that does the exact same thing as Object > Expand..., i.e., it permanently converts the text to ordinary vector objects, making it no longer live/editable, which the OP specifically does not want to do.
that's what had me confused about this method........

very cool.

Old January 8th, 2015 Jan 8, 2015 3:51:38 PM -   #9 (permalink)
Former Member
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Andre

Quote:
Originally Posted by miktoxic
sounds like illustrator to me.
I know, that was an attempt on the "inside" CorelDraw joke. Somewhere along the way they changed the wording from "Extent of Selection" in X5 to " The Bonding Box" in X7 in objects distribution options and at first that confused the hell out of me.
miktoxic likes this.

Old January 9th, 2015 Jan 9, 2015 1:20:32 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

I would love for this to be solved in Illy. Been driving me nuts for quite some time.

Old January 9th, 2015 Jan 9, 2015 1:55:49 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephkrueger
I would love for this to be solved in Illy. Been driving me nuts for quite some time.
It is solved in Illustrator. See post #2.

Old January 15th, 2015 Jan 15, 2015 10:08:48 AM -   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Mark

Cool Re: How To Fit Bounding Box To Text?

The text bounding box confused me too,

When the text is still live, hold the " command " key down
while clicking and dragging the bounding box right bottom
corner outward

it'll open up and reveal any hidden text, if the box won't
expand, click on the text and " shift, command, B "
will convert the box to an expandable bounding box

One of the quirks in Illustrator for sure, hope that helps

Old January 17th, 2015 Jan 17, 2015 7:27:41 PM -   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
I'll add that the text remains live/editable with this method and it doesn't change the appearance of the text at all. Furthermore, the Outline Object effect can be removed at any time (though there isn't a need to do so that I know of).

I made a quick video demonstrating this - YouTube link. As you can see, the 72-point Times New Roman capital letter S is showing as being 40.043 x 81.946 points, because that's the dimensions of its bounding box, which is much larger than the letter itself. When I apply the Outline Object effect, the bounding box shrinks to the size of the letter itself, so now we see (and can adjust) its true dimensions of 31.676 x 49.852 points. Note that the text is still live (which I demonstrated by backspacing to erase it and then typing a letter D in its place), and it hasn't changed in appearance at all. This is exactly what the OP was looking to do.

This method does not represent an accurate measurement of the text. I already done this.

Old January 17th, 2015 Jan 17, 2015 7:30:52 PM -   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miktoxic
those are all ways to do it.

why don't you pull up the rulers for the workspace, drag your text next to it, zoom in and look to see what height the letters are? if you need it a specific height drag guidelines down from above and set them to the top and bottom measurement you need and then either constrain drag your bounding box so the text fits within the guides or select text and use the point size settings in the character window to effect the change?
It works fine but i takes a lot of your time. Coreldraw makes this problem simple.

Old January 17th, 2015 Jan 17, 2015 8:14:03 PM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwinard
This method does not represent an accurate measurement of the text.
Yes, it does.

Quote:
I already done this.
Then you didn't do it right.

For example, a 72-point Times New Roman capital letter "S", as live text, measures 40.043 x 81.946 points. If you expand it to a normal vector object it measures 31.676 x 49.852 points.

Can we agree that when you expand live text to a normal vector object you then get an accurate measurement of the text?

Okay, so the accurate measurement of the 72-point Times New Roman capital letter "S" is 31.676 x 49.852 points.

Now, using the method I described, the live text 72-point Times New Roman capital letter "S" measures 31.676 x 49.852 points; in other words, the measurement is accurate.

Watch the dimensions in the Transform window as I select each Times New Roman 72-point letter "S" in this video.

- The "S" on the left (red) is normal live text with the oversized bounding box.

- The "S" in the middle (green) is also live text, but is using the method I described (which you falsely claim doesn't work). Notice that its bounding box tightly hugs the letter.

- The "S" on the right (blue) has been expanded to a normal vector object.

Note that the dimensions shown in the Transform window are identical for the green and blue "S", even though the green "S" is still live text and the blue "S" is just a vector object.

This is a discussion about How To Fit Bounding Box To Text? that was posted in the Graphics and Design Help section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in