T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Graphics and Design Help

Graphics and Design Help Category Sponsor

Get advice to help you create your t-shirt graphics. Discuss t-shirt design software, special effect techniques, or other topics related to creating a t-shirt design on your computer. If you'd rather hire a graphic designer to do the work for you, please post in our Referrals and Recommendations section here.

Epson 7800 leaving ink on edge of films!

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old October 3rd, 2014 Oct 3, 2014 5:39:04 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Geoff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Epson 7800 leaving ink on edge of films!

Hello all,

Not sure this is the best place to post this, so please redirect me if this is the wrong place.

I've been having an issue where my film printer is leaving rather small deposits of ink on the edge of my film rolls.

I've attached a couple photos so you can see the issue.

We currently use an Epson 7800 with all 8 cartridges swapped out for bulk black ink cartridges with dye based inks. We also use AccuRIP for outputting films.

The problem began a couple weeks ago after one of our suppliers offered up a roll of film for us to test out to see if we liked it. I didn't notice it before I loaded it up, but the left edge of the film was slightly warped leaving it a bit wavy. I ran a few test prints on the roll and immediately noticed build ups of ink on the edge of the films. That's when I noticed how warped the edge of the film was.

I figured that the film lifting up a bit was possibly hitting the print head when it passes over cause the ink to build up. I figured it would go away after I put one of our standard rolls back in.

However now I am still getting build up on my good rolls. I tried cleaning the head a bit by running the head over a clean paper towel with some Simple Green in it to clean off the head a bit which alleviated the problem for a bit, but not soon after the spots began appearing again.

So now I've been battling with the printer trying to figure out how to get rid of them. I've done a few cleans, and performed a nozzle check to ensure the heads are operating as they should and everything seems in order.

In AccuRIP, my settings are set at Print Resolution: 1440DPI x 720 DPI (4 pass), Drpolet Weight: 4, Multi-Black checked, Ink Coverage: Less Ink, all heads turned on.

It does help if I move and printable information away from that edge of the roll so the head doesn't pass over the edge. Other than that I can't find a solution to my problem.

It's not the biggest issue, I'm usually able to just cut the edge off and continue as normal, but it has ruined a few films which I've then had to reprint which is flushing money down the toilet.

Any ideas on how I can get my Epson back into tip-top shape? Or even what might be causing the issue?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0078.JPG (505.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0077.JPG (494.0 KB, 15 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 3rd, 2014 Oct 3, 2014 7:19:48 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: jgabby
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Default Re: Epson 7800 leaving ink on edge of films!

I have the exact same setting.

Have you checked if there is some dust somewhere.

Old October 3rd, 2014 Oct 3, 2014 7:24:57 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Geoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgabby
I have the exact same setting.

Have you checked if there is some dust somewhere.
Thanks for the suggestion. Where should I check for dust? Everything inside looks pretty clean for the most part, but is there somewhere specific I should be checking for any dust build up?

Old October 3rd, 2014 Oct 3, 2014 7:58:55 AM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: tim
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

sorry i don't have an answer but one thing is at least it's on the edge of the film and not messing within your design area and you can just cut it away.

i would try removing every cartridge and just put in one at a time and see if the problem persists. if you have one cartridge in and there's no problem then you know it has something to do with the rolls. troubleshooting 101.

have you tried just printing a single sheet or on paper without using a roll?

Old February 4th, 2015 Feb 4, 2015 2:40:40 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: jgabby
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

I may know what it is, at least this is the problem I had on my espon 7600 few week ago :

The head start to delaminate, hence the ink go where is should no go resulting in ink leaking.

I know it is not the same head, but symptoms are the same.

Old February 4th, 2015 Feb 4, 2015 3:07:38 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: David
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Yeah I'd look into replacing the print head. If you've cleaned it completely and it's still exhibiting this issue then I'd say it's damaged somehow. Replacing it should fix your issue.

Old February 4th, 2015 Feb 4, 2015 3:55:15 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Jamie

You have either some dust on your print nozzles or your waste ink pads are full. First do a head cleaning. If there is dust on your print head that should help clear it. If not I would look into replacing your waste in pads.

This is a discussion about Epson 7800 leaving ink on edge of films! that was posted in the Graphics and Design Help section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in