T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Graphics and Design Help

Graphics and Design Help Category Sponsor

Get advice to help you create your t-shirt graphics. Discuss t-shirt design software, special effect techniques, or other topics related to creating a t-shirt design on your computer. If you'd rather hire a graphic designer to do the work for you, please post in our Referrals and Recommendations section here.

[Photoshop] - Halftone is KILLING me....

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 17th, 2008 Mar 17, 2008 3:03:59 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Angry Halftone is KILLING me....

I have been screen printing for quite a while now, but have been dealing mainly with one, two or three spot color prints...simple stuff... only recently I decided to figure out how o print halftones... I bought Fast Films, but I cant get it to do anything for me...
job: the text and trap are black and there is a simple image with slight gradients......all i want to do is print little bitty black dots for the gradients..doesn't seem like it should be this difficult. When I try to use fast films it applies halftone to the COMPLETE image, dots ALL over the place instead of just where i need them... ... When I try to use the Color Halftone filter in photoshop the dots are just way to big... this is killing me... I've been working on this for 7 hours now...any suggestions would be appreciated...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 17th, 2008 Mar 17, 2008 5:29:11 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Manuel

Default Re: Halftone is KILLING me....

Can you post the image here so we can see it and give you a more informed advise?

Old March 17th, 2008 Mar 17, 2008 5:52:33 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

image quality has been sacrificed due to size restrictions... original image is 350dpi at 17"x21". But, here it is....very simple...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CB_My_Furniture_Guy.jpg (72.8 KB, 152 views)

Old March 18th, 2008 Mar 18, 2008 7:06:15 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Member

The way I would do this design it's this; (my guess is that you are working in Photoshop) you need a three color separataion, 1st: get the solid black from your image the inside color of the caracter you can eliminate with the selection tool or go to image/ajustment/selective color and deem all colors but black.
2nd, get the brown the same way only here you want to eliminate the black instead, when you get your color turn it into grey scale then use lavels to make it solid black and add a black stroke arround it because you will lose a little edge in the transaction.
3rd, the halftone on the image you have to use a separate screen to get this film first eliminate the black color then go to image/ ajustments/color saturation and start deeming color by color until you get the graduation you like, after that you can convert it to gray scale and ouput your films. good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Blade master For This Useful Post:
Jack Clements (March 19th, 2008)
Old March 18th, 2008 Mar 18, 2008 8:43:44 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Manuel

I would do everything in vector except the little table guy, but if you are not as picky as I am and you have a good resolution artwork, you can do everything in Photoshop, but it's not a job for Fast Films. This is how I would do that separation.

Duplicate the red and the blue channel. The duplicate red channel is gonna be your black, all you have to do is open the "levels" dialog box and move the right slider to the left until you have no gray or almost no gray. You may want to move the left slider to the right to increase the darkness a bit.

The blue channel is gonna be your brown. lasso select the type and delete it, and that's it.

to output halftones you need either a post script printer or a RIP software. If you don't have any of them you can split the channels and change your separation channels to "bitmap" (image/mode/bitmap). you'll see the option that will let you use halftones and change the angle and frequency.

Go with this formula and you will do fine: screen mesh / 4.5 = halftone frequency

Example: if you are going to print with 200's, then 200 / 4.5 = 45

Your halftone frequency should be no higher than 45 dpi

Have fun!

Old March 18th, 2008 Mar 18, 2008 12:14:17 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImageIt
The short answer is that you are probably worrying to much about the dots.
what i mean is, I want brown to be brown, black to be black, and the darker (shading) brown to be halftone black.....

Old March 19th, 2008 Mar 19, 2008 11:58:52 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

thank you all, I think I got it now....

This is a discussion about Halftone is KILLING me.... that was posted in the Graphics and Design Help section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in