T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Graphics and Design Help

Graphics and Design Help Category Sponsor

Get advice to help you create your t-shirt graphics. Discuss t-shirt design software, special effect techniques, or other topics related to creating a t-shirt design on your computer. If you'd rather hire a graphic designer to do the work for you, please post in our Referrals and Recommendations section here.

[Illustrator] - How to create a vector glow around object

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old September 19th, 2011 Sep 19, 2011 12:31:06 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Patrice
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default How to create a vector glow around object

I have an object in illustrator that I placed in from photoshop and converted to paths. I am trying to make a glow around the object but I want it to be a vector glow, not raster, so I don't want to use the effects. I found a tutorial online that basically states to copy and paste the image multiple times, changing the stroke on each image. However, I am not even able to change the stroke on the object. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it, having spent way too many hours on this problem.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2011 Sep 19, 2011 10:44:10 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default Re: How to create a vector glow around object

Why don't you just keep the image in photoshop and separate from there?

Old September 19th, 2011 Sep 19, 2011 10:52:17 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: chucky

try adobe fireworks, they have awesome effects for text

Old September 19th, 2011 Sep 19, 2011 11:23:16 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Dan

Here are some tutorials that might help...
Photoshop and Illustrator Work Flow | Orchard View Color
Abstract Golden Glow Background Vector Illustration | Free Vector Graphics | All Free Web Resources for Designer - Web Design Hot!
Create a Glowing Abstract Light Vector Graphic | Vectortuts+

Old September 19th, 2011 Sep 19, 2011 11:27:51 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: chucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbox
Here are some tutorials that might help...
Photoshop and Illustrator Work Flow | Orchard View Color
Abstract Golden Glow Background Vector Illustration | Free Vector Graphics | All Free Web Resources for Designer - Web Design Hot!
Create a Glowing Abstract Light Vector Graphic | Vectortuts+
do you have any tutorials about inverting images to print white ink on black. i posted a thing a while ago and no responses

Old September 19th, 2011 Sep 19, 2011 11:48:58 PM -   #6 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rick
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Do you mean a glow or shadow? I don't think you can create a vector glow except with halftones.

Old September 20th, 2011 Sep 20, 2011 6:29:14 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

wormil, yes I meant glow, not shadow. I was able to use the object--path--offset path command to create a nice outline around the entire object, proportional around the entire perimeter, however the outline doesn't fade away as a glow would do as it extends from the object.

stitchesprint, I am new to this, but I was under the impression that vector art is preferred, and I don't really know anything about separations. (I will be outsourcing the printing of (mostly) plastisol transfers.) I also like vector as it permits me to resize without loss of resolution.

Catbox, thanks for the links, I had already looked at the vectortuts video and others on lynda.com.

211chucky, thanks for the suggestion. It is actually an object created by using the path tool to trace in photoshop (and then placed into AI) that I am trying to apply a glow to, not text.

Old September 20th, 2011 Sep 20, 2011 2:24:44 PM -   #8 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: tim
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

make a compound path using the stroke you already have. make another stroke to the area that you want the color to fade to by using object>offset path.

lock the image that the stroke is surrounding so it's not affected. using direct selection tool select inner stroke and fill the area with a color. using the direct selection tool select the outer stroke and fill with a different color. different colors so you can see the difference of the two.

holding down shift key select the inner object, then the outer object. go to pathfinder window and click on 'subtract from' this will give you a an object area that you can now fill with a gradient.

Old September 20th, 2011 Sep 20, 2011 3:02:42 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Thanks miktoxic, worked perfectly!!! Is the area filled with the gradient (the glow around the image), in vector format or is that changed to raster as would be the case if I were to choose the effects?

Old September 20th, 2011 Sep 20, 2011 4:36:39 PM -   #10 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: tim
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

i'm not sure because i'm not a printer or separator but either way it will have to be separated in either case.

as stated above you can do designs in either format. the difference being is that when doing raster images you have to make sure that you set your file up to at least 300 dpi at the print size (or larger). you can always size down from that point on but trying to go larger after the fact you will lose image quality and the image will appear pixelated. in vector you don't have to worry about that. that's why some people prefer to work with vector files.

but your printer should be able to handle both. if not, get another printer.

here i just looked this up:

Vector Gradient Fills pg 2: Production Graphics with Wendy Peck at webreference.com

This is a discussion about How to create a vector glow around object that was posted in the Graphics and Design Help section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in