T-Shirt Forums banner

....and the problem with CMYK process is?

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  TYGERON 
#1 ·
I have a design that appears more accurate as a CMYK process but the printers are telling me it would be much better to go with their 5 color process to achieve the print. The 5 color print is much lighter than the original, pale if you will, and the artworks strokes are exaggerated by appearing "hard" due to the defined colors selected for the 5 color process. So, overall, the design looks horrid. Any thoughts or opinions?

I figured CMYK would be great for any complex design that is of a traditional origin.

thanks

#4 ·
Can't say that I know what it is you are referring to exactly. Even if so I don't see how the post makes no sense. There are two different methods of printing a single design of mine. I feel CMYK is more accurate and looks much better whereas the screen printer is telling me that their 5 color process is the better route. Anyhow, here is the art.

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
So you have an actual printed garment that you say looks horrid or are you going by a digital proof provided by the printer?

For the most part index proofs viewed on a monitor will look "hard" or somewhat grainy. With four color process you're looking at the image pretty much as it is supposed will (supposed to) appear on the garment albeit "pale" if you're shown the actual sep file.

If you have a printed sample and it looks "horrid" then that's another issue.

There are many issues or aspects of 4CP that may make it inappropriate for a particular design. The color gamut, shirt color would be primary. Then there's accuracy and consistency of reproduction.

For example:

Your design looks like 2 or 3 levels of gray and 2 of the other color. With index you have more control and less color drift due to printing variations especially with manual printing and over long runs.
With 4CP any inconsistency from print stroke to print stroke can be pretty dramatic. And with index, the more colors/levels printed the smoother the transitions.

Ask to see printed examples of both processes and the original art. A lot depends on the printer and their experience and ability.

I mentioned in another post the importance and advantage to knowing as much as possible about every aspect of the garment decorating industry regardless of your main position. Allows for more clear concise communication and leaves a lot less to question.

Do a forum or internet search on index, spot, 4CP and simulated process separating and printing and you'll get a clearer idea.

#7 ·
The proof doesn't adhere to the original very well and by not adhering I mean harder and lighter than the original. This is what I mean by being "horrid". I do understand with index you have more control but I also know CMYK can reproduce a wide range of colors thus recreating more tones/gradients/hues presented in the original artwork.

It appeared with the index sep that it lacked that depth and was limited since a few colors have to be selected to represent so many others. I would assume this is why it turned out "harder" than the original file.

I would provide the proof but the file is locked.

Thanks for you input.

#10 ·
Alrighty. Would the printed art really differ that much from the proof?

Anyhow, I really appreciate your responses.

Thanks
Yes, it really can.

What you see in between the original art and the end product/actual shirt (monitor image, printed paper proof etc) is pretty inconsequential.

See some printed samples...;)

And I'm not suggesting you are, but don't be intimidated or reluctant to ask to see a printer's work.
And be very clear and upfront about everything you expect. Soft hand, no hand, textured feel, 3D...whatever. It's appropriate and should be expected.

Most experienced printers know that artists are nit- picky, spoiled, pains-in-the butt who want the world for nothing anyway...:p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.