T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > General T-Shirt Selling Discussion

General T-Shirt Selling Category Sponsor

This is the catchall topic for the t-shirt selling discussion. Not sure where to post your question about t-shirt selling? Start here.

How many items should you have when you start your brand?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By LancerFlorida

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old 1 Week Ago Jun 22, 2020 6:38:07 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default How many items should you have when you start your brand?

I'm still trying to find prices to have shirts made vs blanks (really don't want to have to use the same mass produced shirts everyone else has) But I ALSO need to figure out how many items I should shoot for to start a new clothing company.

I'm guessing you wouldn't put up more than 60% of what you've got so that you can still have new stuff start to trickle out a month or two later.

If I have a shirt with an image on it that comes in 3 different colors, is that one item or three? I was counting it as one but from a business perspective it might be counted as 3 items, and the fact it has the same graphic might be irrelevant.

Is it possible to start out a clothing company JUST selling tshirts, or would I absolutely need to have something else to not look like a small time joke?

So does anyone want to take a total shot in the dark at how many different shirts I should have to not immediately be dismissed by anyone that looks at my website day one?

Thanks for your time, this is all new to me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago Jun 22, 2020 8:01:17 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Edward
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default Re: How many items should you have when you start your brand?

there is no standard when it comes to design offering numbers and releases
but if your model is to release via social media to keep your name out there,
then be wary of over-saturation and turning people off (or appearing desperate/spammy)
maybe once a week to start, then once a month to re-generate interest

some people do the design a week and then it's gone model, but they tend to have a larger audience in place

most put what they have on their site, remove what does not sell and add new designs as available
i would start with about a dozen good designs that have been beta-tested via friends/family
(or ask some of the veterans here, just put your designs up as images on a hidden page of your site before you go live)

i would curb 'item' and think of 'product'
1 design on a t-shirt = 1 product (that may be available in 40 colors and 10 sizes)
same design on a cap = another product

just t-shirts is fine, then later add-in other lines (hoodies/caps/shorts/pants/etc)

Old 1 Week Ago Jun 22, 2020 9:04:56 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Bob
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalCarnage
Is it possible to start out a clothing company JUST selling tshirts, or would I absolutely need to have something else to not look like a small time joke?
1. It is possible and many do it.
2. there is huge difference between "small indie brand" and "small time joke".

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalCarnage
So does anyone want to take a total shot in the dark at how many different shirts I should have to not immediately be dismissed by anyone that looks at my website day one?
A brand is much more than "items in stock". You have to create an image, a perception. You can basically have a brand with zero items in stock.

Sales is a different story, and the more desirable items you have the more sales you will generate.

Old 1 Week Ago Jun 22, 2020 9:34:52 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Pat
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

How are you producing your shirts?

If you are doing it in house with DTG, laser or inkjet transfers then you can have as many designs as you can come up with ( although 'spray and pray' isn't always a good srategy, it can give you a quick idea of what sells.). If you are using a mock-up then you don't need any physical stock. If producing an actual sample then your stock is one piece per style.
If you are buying in plastisol transfers or screen printing then you are limited by minimum quantities.

Old 1 Week Ago Jun 22, 2020 1:10:04 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

There is a common mistake new business owners make, It is passion driven and inspired by their inborn genius. The outcome is a disproportionate focus on working IN YOUR BUSINESS when the more import focus must be ON YOUR BUSINESS.
Those who focus "ON YOUR BUSINESS can experience tremendous success and have absolutely no product at all.
You CAN have Just One Thing and succeed if you know the 'On Your Business' distinction.
How are folks going to find your 'thing' that resonates with their NEED and aligns with their passion. Without understanding this you will simply have the best t-shop with sales sufficient to spend on buying more blanks, borrowed traffic, handing your money to parasites. and no real profit.
My suggestion is to WEAR your T's with a CTA and see if your product resonates.

Old 1 Day Ago Jun 30, 2020 11:08:59 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

So many factors - if you are having the shirts printed then every design needs every size then add to that colors. Inventory is a death sentence especially starting out. The first and only question is how are you going to sell your t-shirts? Everyone is gung-ho about making t-shirts but only a small fraction are gung-ho selling t-shirts. Anyone can make t-shirts and many many can design t-shirts but very few can sell t-shirts. I would rather have an average design with a top sales/marketing person behind it vs a awesome design with no such support behind it.

The odds of any new business succeeding is grim but those odds are much worse for people starting out a t-shirt business. Realize with t-shirts you are not only battling the big boys but everyone who has a grand or two trying it at home.

This is a discussion about How many items should you have when you start your brand? that was posted in the General T-Shirt Selling Discussion section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in