Which printer should I buy? Sublimation, Laser Transfer or DTG? Need Expert Advice :) - Page 4 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > General T-Shirt Selling Discussion

General T-Shirt Selling Category Sponsor

This is the catchall topic for the t-shirt selling discussion. Not sure where to post your question about t-shirt selling? Start here.

Which printer should I buy? Sublimation, Laser Transfer or DTG? Need Expert Advice :)

Like Tree41Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old 4 Weeks Ago Jul 15, 2020 6:55:30 AM -   #46 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Pat
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Which printer should I buy? Sublimation, Laser Transfer or DTG? Need Expert Advice :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttmsomething
You might find a shop closing due to covid and get a good deal.
Every cloud....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago Jul 18, 2020 8:54:22 AM -   #47 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Phill
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default Re: Which printer should I buy? Sublimation, Laser Transfer or DTG? Need Expert Advice :)

Another update.

I finally decided to order the Epson L1800 (thanks Mr Wibble) as it's A3 and cost less than the sublimation toner set for the Uninet Arrives on Monday.

Also ordered the Pressmech A3 bag press (thanks Mr Wibble again) D ick was great and sent me pics, had a bit of an email back n fourth and he even agreed to make my bag press white (off-white/grey actually i'm told) similar to the novachrome ones That comes in two weeks.

Think i'm gonna go with the iColor 540 A4 white toner laser as i can make it work with my artwork and the samples are holding up very well after a few washes. There are places where it's block colour and it feels plasticy and cold when my arm touches it.. and i hate that.. though it folds up tight and doesn't break or crack.. i just know this is NOT the printer to get for solid blocks of colour. if you can used distressed fonts (or mask your design) then there would likely be no need for using their RIP software (not for rasterising anyway. though you SHOULD use it to lay down only white toner where it's needed, rather than under everything as that's a waste). I'll also probably order the IC-Split software too so i can do larger than A4 too..

Even better, if you can design/draw and use a lot of halftone shading, then i think that will be good for this printer..

So, as long as the samples hold up over the next month, then i'll be ordering the iColor 540 in August.. and i'll be happy to report back (if anyones cares lol) .. though i will make it clear, i fully intend to do more than just tees.. as i think actually tees are the hardest/worst thing to be doing on this machine unless you can draw/design to suit the media.. which i believe i can. a few in the white toner success group are posting VERY impressive designs..

what i will say, is i very much get the impression that there are numpties that can't follow instructions, there are numpties that buy cheap presses and there are other numpties that just shouldn't be doing certain things as they don't understand what they need to in order to make things do what they expect them to, or have expectation beyond the realm of the possible.

that said then, i'm very much hoping that with a top press, and having done lots of research and studying people's mistakes online and learning what made them succeed and with a non-numpty noggin, i am confident i can produce results from that printer in line with my expectations and to a sufficient enough quality that my customers will like and that i can make decent dosh with too..

wish me luck

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to philldetman For This Useful Post:
into the T (3 Weeks Ago), NoXid (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago Jul 18, 2020 9:28:39 AM -   #48 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Edward
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philldetman
So, as long as the samples hold up over the next month, then i'll be ordering the iColor 540 in August.. and i'll be happy to report back (if anyones cares lol) ..

what i will say, is i very much get the impression that there are numpties that can't follow instructions, there are numpties that buy cheap presses and there are other numpties that just shouldn't be doing certain things as they don't understand what they need to in order to make things do what they expect them to, or have expectation beyond the realm of the possible.
all info would be appreciated (many people find the info and don't register/post)

i agree with your second paragraph above:
is it possible? yes
is it possible for all? no

Old 3 Weeks Ago Jul 18, 2020 9:55:18 AM -   #49 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by into the T
all info would be appreciated (many people find the info and don't register/post)

i agree with your second paragraph above:
is it possible? yes
is it possible for all? no
fair point actually.. the amount of posts i've read on here from (some of them) over a decade ago haha.. some things have changed since then, but much hasn't... it seems

Old 3 Weeks Ago Jul 19, 2020 1:35:22 AM -   #50 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Another update.

Also ordered the Pressmech A3 bag press (thanks Mr Wibble again) D ick was great and sent me pics, had a bit of an email back n fourth and he even agreed to make my bag press white (off-white/grey actually i'm told) similar to the novachrome ones That comes in two weeks.

You'll need help lifting it! Good Luck if you need to take it upstairs!

Your giving yourself the best shot with good equipment and all of your research. The rest is down to the product and the marketing - and a little bit of luck.
into the T likes this.

Old 3 Weeks Ago Jul 19, 2020 3:48:06 AM -   #51 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatWibble
You'll need help lifting it! Good Luck if you need to take it upstairs!

Your giving yourself the best shot with good equipment and all of your research. The rest is down to the product and the marketing - and a little bit of luck.
haha, no stairs.. and it's only 40kg according to the site.. (crosses fingers)

good gear - check
good research - check
good product - confident
good marketing - ahem, will be back on here in a few months asking for help
good luck - fingers crossed

Old 2 Weeks Ago Jul 28, 2020 4:47:22 AM -   #52 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Another update. Finally made my final decision on the white toner laser and ordered the OKI Pro8432WT A3+

I realised after chatting with someone (very helpful) using one, that this machine can also do underprinting with toner mapping and can also take black toner. These two features were the main ones I wanted from the iColor.. i don't need the sublimation toners that the Uninet offers (cos i got an Epson L1800 Ecotank for less than a set of sub toners), nor the neon or security toners.

I realised that the price of the A4 iColor540 with the IC-Split software (for doing larger than A4) wasn't far off the OKI A3.. so went for that instead.

Both the white toner printer and press are due next week so i'm getting excited now

The Epson L1800 is a decent size A3+ ecotank printer and was easy to setup and start printing from. The hardest bit was not getting too many ink blobs are over myself while filling the tanks as i refused to get all surgical on the machine with the somewhat clinical looking syringes supplied in sterile packages

I've done some test prints ready for when the press turns up for using on an array of testing blanks.. In particular, the subli-style paper for hard surface blanks looks VERY crisp so am optimistic about those results.

The subli-fabric prints aren't as sharp but they are going on fabric blanks as designed, so I'm still expecting those to look great. I deliberately printed them to sit for a week or so in order to see if there were any issues using stored/pre-printed sheets, rather than having to do everything fresh. Especially given that in the UK (more so where I am), we don't have too many weather extremes.

I'm also gonna grab some subli-light no-cut papers too as they look nice for using the sub printer on light cotton stuff.. which looks to give a better result than white toner perhaps might.

I also got a load of stuff in for testing after signing up for PenCarrie too.. another top recommendation from this forum (thanks everyone) and a load of other stuff for NOT testing on as it's nice enough to just wear!

Will report back once the rest of my stuff arrives and I have something reasonable to show for it..

Cheers.

Old 2 Weeks Ago Jul 28, 2020 11:08:51 AM -   #53 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:

I deliberately printed them to sit for a week or so in order to see if there were any issues using stored/pre-printed sheets, rather than having to do everything fresh. Especially given that in the UK (more so where I am), we don't have too many weather extremes.

Cheers.
Just remember that sublimation paper is very susceptible to damp weather. If you like fresh air and like to open the windows in winter then you might want to store the prints ( and open boxes of paper) in a sealed container with some silica sachets.

Congrats on the OKI.

The Following User Says Thank You to PatWibble For This Useful Post:
philldetman (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago Jul 28, 2020 11:31:34 AM -   #54 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Just remember that sublimation paper is very susceptible to damp weather. If you like fresh air and like to open the windows in winter then you might want to store the prints ( and open boxes of paper) in a sealed container with some silica sachets.

Congrats on the OKI.
Thanks Pat. The white toner papers are sensitive to humidity and the sub papers to dampness.. interesting.. though now i'm wondering if dampness and humidity are in fact the same i'll be keeping them in their plaggy bags and have been saving silica gel packs from deliveries to keep around my media in storage. Maybe i can get something like a wine fridge to store my papers in a nice dry environment

i wonder if click n lock do A3+ sized sealable containers..

Old 2 Weeks Ago Jul 29, 2020 5:24:05 AM -   #55 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:

i wonder if click n lock do A3+ sized sealable containers..
Most top out at A3. I use a nice strong ziplock bag from a pack of 'Oven Pride' oven cleaner. ( The wife gets the rest of the pack).

Dampness isn't a problem in most domestic or office environments, only in industrial workshops, but it can effect sublimation paper very quickly.
philldetman likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to PatWibble For This Useful Post:
philldetman (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago Aug 6, 2020 10:20:05 AM -   #56 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Denise

Definitely start with transfers as this is easiest and cheapest to get you gaining some income and then slowly add one of the other options. lots of luck

Old 1 Week Ago Aug 7, 2020 8:10:50 AM -   #57 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfogel
Definitely start with transfers as this is easiest and cheapest to get you gaining some income and then slowly add one of the other options. lots of luck
Thanks, but pretty much gone all out already.. sub printer, white toner and press.. (that's coming next week)

Should see me good for a while anyway

Old 1 Week Ago Aug 7, 2020 8:12:55 AM -   #58 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Most top out at A3. I use a nice strong ziplock bag from a pack of 'Oven Pride' oven cleaner. ( The wife gets the rest of the pack).

Dampness isn't a problem in most domestic or office environments, only in industrial workshops, but it can effect sublimation paper very quickly.
Went for some of these, and they seem like they'll do the job nicely
Attached Thumbnails
Which printer should I buy? Sublimation, Laser Transfer or DTG? Need Expert Advice :)-boxes.jpg  

Old 2 Days Ago Aug 12, 2020 10:57:07 AM -   #59 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Very happy today. Mr PressMech brought 'round my press and talked me through it. Had the hard pad put on especially for white toner stuff.

Within half an hour of him leaving, I had made my first shirt. I hope it wasn't just luck

Pretty much certain this press is gonna work like a charm for white toner stuff.. but i'll report back in time once i've played with it a bit more.

Thanks Pat (again) - You seemed like a man that should be listened to and I put a lot of trust in your opinion (and from others too) and I am very pleased with my setup.

Haven't tried any sub stuff yet.. It's too hot to be stood next to a hot press for too long

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Which printer should I buy? Sublimation, Laser Transfer or DTG? Need Expert Advice :)-c7304fd0-701c-432f-9eba-d53089c9ec45_1_201_a.jpg   Which printer should I buy? Sublimation, Laser Transfer or DTG? Need Expert Advice :)-img_7500.jpg  
into the T likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to philldetman For This Useful Post:
PatWibble (1 Day Ago)
Old 20 Hours Ago Aug 13, 2020 6:48:27 PM -   #60 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Edward
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

nice looking tee, great message as well
stress is a killer, not just physically

happy days for Phil, his first tee
philldetman likes this.

This is a discussion about Which printer should I buy? Sublimation, Laser Transfer or DTG? Need Expert Advice :) that was posted in the General T-Shirt Selling Discussion section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in