T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > General T-Shirt Selling Discussion

General T-Shirt Selling Category Sponsor

This is the catchall topic for the t-shirt selling discussion. Not sure where to post your question about t-shirt selling? Start here.

Taking Bid Jobs With No Minimum Order

Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By PatWibble
  • 1 Post By TABOB
  • 1 Post By splathead
  • 1 Post By DrivingZiggy
  • 2 Post By LancerFlorida
  • 4 Post By Brandiland
  • 1 Post By JohnDeco

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 25th, 2020 Mar 25, 2020 6:25:39 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Taking Bid Jobs With No Minimum Order

Hi everyone. I was hoping someone could tell me if this particular bid is worth doing. It's for my local Chamber of Commerce. The bid demands are for the vendor to design, set up and manage the shopping cart page to order. Handle all payments and shipping. They have 2 shirt designs. One has 2 color logo placement front and back. The other has 2 color front,2 color back and 1 color sleeve.
That's 9 screens. This is a case by case order, so they may not sell many, or they might sell hundreds. No way to really tell. Do any of you ever take these kinds of risky bids? Oh! the chamber wants 20 shirts for free. So 9 screens, 20 shirts before a dime is made. Is this normal when bidding on things like this from a local city level, or are they asking too much? They are seeking a local printer, so they won't be going online to order them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2020 Mar 25, 2020 6:48:16 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Pat
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Default Re: Taking Bid Jobs With No Minimum Order

They're trying it on. Probably some smart guy on the chamber thinks he is being clever.
If they are unsure about sales then this is a DTG job.

Email back and say it is a week early for April Fool.

Old March 25th, 2020 Mar 25, 2020 7:20:19 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Bob
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

This is ridiculous. I wouldn't even bother.

Old March 25th, 2020 Mar 25, 2020 7:56:04 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Thanked 2,552 Times in 2,269 Posts

Can't imagine the market for chamber of commerce swag is that big. Unless they are also giving you a booth at all of their sponsored events?

Old March 25th, 2020 Mar 25, 2020 8:51:03 AM -   #5 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Thanked 1,306 Times in 1,073 Posts

We do stuff like this for league sports without the freebees. We give them a big discount on the board shirts but we get everything else normally except for the game uniforms which are often donated by a local sporting goods retailer. Other than that we get all the spirit packs, spirit wear, etc. We do a booth at sign ups and then do one at games and a few practices at the beginning.

This allows us to do the one offs but we know we will sell a lot of the spirit wear, shirts, hats, rally towels, etc. It also gives us exposure to the parents and grand parents that want other stuff done for their businesses and other stuff.

I would agree though that this chamber offer is not worth it. You need to quote it back to them with what you can do. Be an optimist about it and give them a chance. Of course they will shop you but that is the way these places are.

Old March 25th, 2020 Mar 25, 2020 11:28:04 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thank you for your input everyone. I hate that our local Chamber wants something for nothing. It's bad enough when all your friends and family do it, but to be a voice to support community businesses.. it's a slap.

Old March 26th, 2020 Mar 26, 2020 12:37:18 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandiland
Thank you for your input everyone. I hate that our local Chamber wants something for nothing. It's bad enough when all your friends and family do it, but to be a voice to support community businesses.. it's a slap.
I find local business organisations like your Chamber are very nepotistic. If you were friends with the guy doing the ordering then he would be paying you top dollar.

Old March 26th, 2020 Mar 26, 2020 5:18:41 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Ziggy
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Yeah, I've never even looked at a Chamber of Commerce website and certainly have not considered paying them for swag. I can't imagine there being any orders at all. Who wears CoC swag? People that get it for free at some event. I don't see an upside.
javajoe likes this.

Old March 26th, 2020 Mar 26, 2020 6:34:42 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I'm not seeing anything in this that is good for you. A lot of work without any good percentage of payback. Think of all the work you could be making money on with other customers instead of setting up all the screens over and over again for a few shirts.

Old March 26th, 2020 Mar 26, 2020 9:58:30 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: skarekrow
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Cool Re: Taking Bid Jobs With No Minimum Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandiland
local Chamber of Commerce- design, set up and manage the shopping cart page to order. Handle all payments and shipping for 2 shirt designs 9 screens Total with 20 shirts for free. They are seeking a local printer, so they won't be going online to order them.

They're looking for a Mule to Haul their Water...

As Ziggy mentioned, I doubt there will be a large quantity of Sales and who's gonna drive the Traffic to this Site/Listings?

Personally, the best I would offer them would be a Set of Listings on an Etsy Page for garments produced with Digital Transfers. (or DTG if you are set up with it)

Free Shirts? ONLY after a certain number of Sales.

Say, a Free One after every 4-5 Sales?

Also; 2 Free Designs without a Deposit or Sales Guarantee?

I don't think so..

Sounds like you might do better to Offer your own Town/City Designs and leave them out all together.

Old March 26th, 2020 Mar 26, 2020 10:45:22 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

This only boils down to one thing...'WHAT"S YOUR COUNTER?"
How about prominent space in the lobby of the chamber?
How about a promotional piece about your business in the rack?
How about a rebate on each shirt sold?
How about a charitable contribution in the name of the Chamber?
How about an upgrade (of minimal cost to you) they don't pay for?
What is the relationship of local print-shops to the decision makers of the Chamber? They may be LOOKING for a sucker. That position is always open.
Find out where you can make money...now or tomorrow, don't tell them. but you need to NEGOTIATE.
Then GET IT IN WRITING!

As JavaJoe suggest, tie the swag to the chambers promotion of the T. They all own businesses...and want to see if you know how to architect a deal.

Old March 31st, 2020 Mar 31, 2020 8:08:06 PM -   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Update: A local business took the order and is in charge of the store site, shipping and production one shirt at a time, along with the 20 free shirts the Chamber will get. I didn't bother bidding, but did send them a short letter as to what actually goes into printing. They thanked me for letting them see it from a printer's perspective and hopefully we could work together in the future. Nope.. not gonna happen. When asked by a member of the community what they would do with the money raised, they said they would keep it and support local small businesses. Lol... what a joke.

Old April 1st, 2020 Apr 1, 2020 12:43:46 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I see a lot of work and efforts with no returns

Old April 1st, 2020 Apr 1, 2020 2:25:59 PM -   #14 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Thanked 1,306 Times in 1,073 Posts

It would be interesting to see the quality of the products. We often get under bid and when we see the end product we can see why. The worst one was a red baseball jersey with a white print. Not only was the print muddy but the white turned pink even before they were worn or washed.

We also had a former customer that would come to use for 1 or 2 jerseys. She would bring in a sample. What she was doing was getting her uniforms from someone else and when she needed a one off they wouldn't do it. So she came to us. We did the first couple but then refused any other orders from her. We told her to go back to her original vendor but for future orders we would be happy to do the work and one offs for her. She said she was going to sue us and we haven't seen or heard from her since.

Old April 3rd, 2020 Apr 3, 2020 8:25:21 PM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Rick

Typical chamber of commerce orders are 10 or 20 shirts for the regulars at the meetings. Hey Wait A Minute! You don't think the "bidder" would take those free shirts and sell them to the other members do you? And then maybe follow it up with the old :
Sell 'em ONLINE,
You'll make a KILLIN
I think we all have better things to do with our valuable time and talents!

This is a discussion about Taking Bid Jobs With No Minimum Order that was posted in the General T-Shirt Selling Discussion section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in