T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > General T-Shirt Selling Discussion

General T-Shirt Selling Category Sponsor

This is the catchall topic for the t-shirt selling discussion. Not sure where to post your question about t-shirt selling? Start here.

Gildan price increase! Anyone tried Uneek?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NoXid

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old August 10th, 2018 Aug 10, 2018 3:49:56 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: brian
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Gildan price increase! Anyone tried Uneek?

Gildan now a whopping £1.44 for a 5000, thinking I will have to change brands. Anyone have any feedback on the Uneek 180gsm. Any good for retail?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 10th, 2018 Aug 10, 2018 5:57:12 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Pat
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default Re: Gildan price increase! Anyone tried Uneek?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkylogoltd
Gildan now a whopping £1.44 for a 5000, thinking I will have to change brands. Anyone have any feedback on the Uneek 180gsm. Any good for retail?
Only used them a few times, for polos and hoodies.

Quality was pretty good for the money, but no better than the 'own brand' stuff from BTC, Absolute or Ralawise. I assume that the t-shirts will be similar quality ( their 'Olympic' range is a budget line so is not a direct comparison with the 5000).

For me the downside of Uneek is that they still offer single/pack/carton prices, which is ok if you want to hold stock. ( I don't)

I spent a year comparing their prices everytime I ordered elsewhere, and it usually worked out dearer so I never bothered. I had one order for 200+ polo shirts - all different colours and sizes for various customers - and if I used Uneek I would have paid top price for over 160 of them.

The Following User Says Thank You to PatWibble For This Useful Post:
wonkylogoltd (August 10th, 2018)
Old August 10th, 2018 Aug 10, 2018 8:50:08 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Tony
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

The Uneek 180gsm costs more than the G5000 even if you were buying 1k qty - good quality though.

The Following User Says Thank You to utero For This Useful Post:
wonkylogoltd (August 10th, 2018)

Old August 10th, 2018 Aug 10, 2018 12:02:54 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: brian
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by utero
The Uneek 180gsm costs more than the G5000 even if you were buying 1k qty - good quality though.
Thank you, wasnt sure on the price am waiting for uneek to come back to me.

Old August 12th, 2018 Aug 12, 2018 6:34:16 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Thanked 2,502 Times in 2,220 Posts

:: Off-topic bickering posts removed. If you have nothing of substance to add to this topic, don't post. ::

Old August 13th, 2018 Aug 13, 2018 1:20:36 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Gildan ( 5000 & 64000) and Fruit of the Loom ( Valueweight) have pretty much got the entry level ' good but cheap' market sewn up. Due to the volume/price economies of scale that Gildan/Fruit achieve most manufacturers seem to stear well clear of that part of the market.
There are plenty of cheaper garments available, but at nowhere near the quality, and there are plenty of slightly better garments available at more money. You are stuck in the middle.

When you say £1.44 for Gildan 5000 do you mean white shirts, or have you negotiated some good discounts on colours?

Old August 13th, 2018 Aug 13, 2018 11:36:48 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

I'm in the USA, but I expect all are seeing the same thing regardless of location. From late 2017 into 2018, I've seen price increases across all brands of shirts. It seems we have finally kicked the sleeping dog of inflation hard enough to wake it up. Grrrrrrrr ....

Point being, whatever price/value judgement you initially made is probably still relevant, just at a higher price point across all contenders.
PatWibble likes this.

Old August 13th, 2018 Aug 13, 2018 1:55:35 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Bob
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

To make a t-shirt you basically need raw material and energy/fuel
Cotton: https://markets.businessinsider.com/...s/cotton-price
Oil: https://markets.businessinsider.com/...price?type=wti
You see the trend?

Old August 14th, 2018 Aug 14, 2018 1:18:46 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoXid
I'm in the USA, but I expect all are seeing the same thing regardless of location. From late 2017 into 2018, I've seen price increases across all brands of shirts. It seems we have finally kicked the sleeping dog of inflation hard enough to wake it up. Grrrrrrrr ....

Point being, whatever price/value judgement you initially made is probably still relevant, just at a higher price point across all contenders.
We are getting the same price rises that you are.

Problem that we also have in the UK is that when the pound slid after the Brexit vote we had an additional blanket 10 - 14% price increase to realign the currencies.

The pre-discount (the 'mugs price') carton rate of the Gildan 5000 rose overnight from £1.49 to £1.69 mid season in 2016. It is now £1.75 ( which is the same price my customers can buy it for on Amazon prime).

This is a discussion about Gildan price increase! Anyone tried Uneek? that was posted in the General T-Shirt Selling Discussion section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in