T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > General T-Shirt Selling Discussion

General T-Shirt Selling Category Sponsor

This is the catchall topic for the t-shirt selling discussion. Not sure where to post your question about t-shirt selling? Start here.

Shipping label printer

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By NoXid
  • 1 Post By JaeAmera
  • 1 Post By NoXid

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old August 9th, 2017 Aug 9, 2017 2:26:27 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Justin
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Shipping label printer

Hello, I am wondering what is the best and most efficient way of printing labels?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2017 Aug 9, 2017 3:25:51 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

Default Re: Shipping label printer

I use one of the small Zebra printers, the type that prints directly on thermal labels without need of a ribbon (no need for the longevity of a ribbon print for a shipping label).

In a past life I used the larger Zebra printers (with ribbon) to print labels for media, like floppy disks. I'm sure there are other acceptable printers, but I went with the brand I had experience with.

I buy rolls of 450 4x6 thermal labels on eBay.

Old August 9th, 2017 Aug 9, 2017 3:34:23 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoXid
I use one of the small Zebra printers, the type that prints directly on thermal labels without need of a ribbon (no need for the longevity of a ribbon print for a shipping label).

In a past life I used the larger Zebra printers (with ribbon) to print labels for media, like floppy disks. I'm sure there are other acceptable printers, but I went with the brand I had experience with.

I buy rolls of 450 4x6 thermal labels on eBay.
Could you please link me the model you are using? I am thinking about getting the Dymo 4XL but I am not sure if that is the best option.

Old August 9th, 2017 Aug 9, 2017 5:48:57 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mine is a Zebra GC420d
I'm not sure if that model is still in production, but there will be something similar.

Old August 9th, 2017 Aug 9, 2017 6:21:29 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Tim
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I bought a Brother QL-700 on closeout at Staples. It was $99 for $14. That was 5 months ago. I still haven't taken it out of the box because I'm lazy and don't ship much.

Old August 10th, 2017 Aug 10, 2017 11:29:09 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Hands down get a Zebra. Avoid Dymo or any other printer that forces you to buy into their services.

I own a used Zebra Gk420d, got it for the cheap on eBay.
Get the rolls from Amazon or eBay for the low.

Old August 11th, 2017 Aug 11, 2017 8:54:45 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Jae'

For printing our shipping labels, we use a laser printer. All the years in business (13+) and thousands of shipments later, we have replaced the toner ONCE!

A HP LaserJet 4250dn. We only use it for our shipping labels.

Hope this helps,

Jae

Old August 11th, 2017 Aug 11, 2017 10:15:52 AM -   #8 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeAmera
For printing our shipping labels, we use a laser printer. All the years in business (13+) and thousands of shipments later, we have replaced the toner ONCE!

A HP LaserJet 4250dn. We only use it for our shipping labels.

Hope this helps,

Jae
That is what I did at first, and is a great option when starting out as most people already have a laser, or need one anyway to print packing slips, and the like.

But if using the two-to-a-sheet Avery labels, it is fairly expensive compared to 450 qty rolls of 4x6 labels. Using plain paper instead of labels is an option, and is cheap, but then one has to mess about with cutting/folding and taping the thing to the package--while not covering the barcodes with tape. Again, a fine option when starting out and not dealing with a lot of quantity. As to toner ... direct thermal printers use no toner or ribbon.

Any of the options would get the job done, but the TS asked for "best and most efficient," though "best" does depend upon one's specific scenario, efficiency in terms of time and cost per unit are clearer metrics. Of course, if one is shipping a small number of large boxes as opposed to a large number of small poly bags, cost per unit and time become a trivial consideration and not worth much thought one way or the other

Old August 11th, 2017 Aug 11, 2017 12:39:03 PM -   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

We use the Zebra 450+ and 500 model printers. The thermal labels are the way to go if you are doing large volume shipping. Thermal printers and labels are the most cost effective way to print.

Old August 11th, 2017 Aug 11, 2017 7:59:36 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Chris

I use a Zebra ZP-450. This model is supposed to only work with UPS's shipping system, but you can get drivers for it to work with eBay, PayPal, Etsy, ECT... I too buy a few rolls of 4x6 thermal labels on eBay for cheap. It works great and looks more professional, especially on poly bags, which I use a lot of.

Dymo printers work, but just feel cheap compared to a Zebra. If you do go the Dymo route, get the Dymo 4XL to do 4x6 labels. I don't know why you would considering you can get a used ZP-450 for about the same price.

Old August 11th, 2017 Aug 11, 2017 9:43:35 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Jae'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoXid
That is what I did at first, and is a great option when starting out as most people already have a laser, or need one anyway to print packing slips, and the like.

But if using the two-to-a-sheet Avery labels, it is fairly expensive compared to 450 qty rolls of 4x6 labels. Using plain paper instead of labels is an option, and is cheap, but then one has to mess about with cutting/folding and taping the thing to the package--while not covering the barcodes with tape. Again, a fine option when starting out and not dealing with a lot of quantity. As to toner ... direct thermal printers use no toner or ribbon.

Any of the options would get the job done, but the TS asked for "best and most efficient," though "best" does depend upon one's specific scenario, efficiency in terms of time and cost per unit are clearer metrics. Of course, if one is shipping a small number of large boxes as opposed to a large number of small poly bags, cost per unit and time become a trivial consideration and not worth much thought one way or the other
True but thousands of shipments later we still haven't made it as difficult as you describe..LOL

Print, fold in half, stick it in a clear plastic shipping pouch, stick it to the box...Done! It's been our go to process and has worked well. Just an option.

As you stated, it depends on what type of volume you are doing. If we were doing one offs or retail, definitely would have gone to thermal by now.
NoXid likes this.

Old August 12th, 2017 Aug 12, 2017 11:14:47 AM -   #12 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeAmera
True but thousands of shipments later we still haven't made it as difficult as you describe..LOL

Print, fold in half, stick it in a clear plastic shipping pouch, stick it to the box...Done! It's been our go to process and has worked well. Just an option.

...As you stated, it depends on what type of volume you are doing. If we were doing one offs or retail, definitely would have gone to thermal by now.
Exactly. I ship poly bags to retail customers ... would be a pain to tape a piece of paper to all of those

I think this one aspect, directly retailing one's own designs versus selling printing services, is behind most "disagreements" on here. Both viewpoints are 110% valid, it's just a matter of context--which the questions themselves usually fail to mention.

Myself, I'm working on going wholesale with one of my lines, and I am greatly looking forward to filling up a big box with shirts all going to one place in one package
JaeAmera likes this.

Old August 12th, 2017 Aug 12, 2017 10:12:50 PM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Post Re: Shipping label printer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machithreads
Hello, I am wondering what is the best and most efficient way of printing labels?
You may find what you are looking for here:
MAX Systems - Durable Sign and Label Printing Solutions

This is a discussion about Shipping label printer that was posted in the General T-Shirt Selling Discussion section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in