T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > General T-Shirt Selling Discussion

General T-Shirt Selling Category Sponsor

This is the catchall topic for the t-shirt selling discussion. Not sure where to post your question about t-shirt selling? Start here.

$20,000 start up screen print shop

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Glopear
  • 1 Post By sbdezign
  • 1 Post By customtshirts4u

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old January 22nd, 2017 Jan 22, 2017 8:46:05 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Stan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default $20,000 start up screen print shop

What would you buy if you were starting a brand new shop and you have a investor ready to give you $20,000 to leave the shared shop your in and start your own shop or have your own equipment on your shared shop.

You currently own 2 silhouette cameo 3s, and a large unused us cutter and a Anajet sprint(investors). You currently do $2,500 on average in sales a month mainly screen printing on someone else's machines, but it's time to get your own.

Also, your investor is going to help with increase of sales and marketing. They need you to run and open the shop. You don't necessarily need them, but your own shop and equipment is nice. What agreement would you try to reach with your investor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2017 Jan 23, 2017 12:08:58 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Default Re: $20,000 start up screen print shop

Forget the investor do it yourself, buy things gradually.

The Following User Says Thank You to Glopear For This Useful Post:
sbdezign (January 23rd, 2017)
Old January 23rd, 2017 Jan 23, 2017 12:42:59 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Pat
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

When does the investor become the boss?

The Following User Says Thank You to PatWibble For This Useful Post:
sbdezign (January 23rd, 2017)

Old January 23rd, 2017 Jan 23, 2017 1:31:45 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glopear
Forget the investor do it yourself, buy things gradually.

Interesting I kinda told her to subcontract work to me and call it a day. It's just that I'd have to create her a company image for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatWibble
When does the investor become the boss?

One of my various concerns! This is my side business I do it so I won't have to work for anyone. Now it's like you spend $15,000 and I now work for you.

But on the other side a peace of something huge of all of something small does make since to me. I'm just not sure if this is it...

Old January 23rd, 2017 Jan 23, 2017 1:52:04 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Pat
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

The danger is that you put in $20k of cheap labour while the business is growing, to fund the repayment of the investment. You have both put in the same investment, but you might not get yours back.

Will the equipment be owned by the business or the investor?

Old January 23rd, 2017 Jan 23, 2017 2:06:16 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

My point would be to get her back the "loan" with in the first year maybe year and a half. But after that then idk what the deal is. But at that point the machine is owned by the company.

PatWibble likes this.

Old January 24th, 2017 Jan 24, 2017 12:36:31 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: jay

Can't stress this enough. Do it by yourself and only for yourself. The amount of "partnerships" that become nightmares is staggering. You have to be accommodating to all their moods and egos. Their financial problems become your problems. Their spouses and their meddling suggestions will suck the life out of you and you will no longer love what you do and that $20,000.00 will taste like s**t once it all falls apart. And when it does they will ruin your reputation just to satisfy their taste for revenge because no matter who's fault it was that caused the partnership to not work out, they will always blame it on you. Their friends and family will feel that they are entitled to discounts because your "partner " is half owner. Be smart and live happy, there is an old latin proverb that states " He who owns a business either works it or sells it" Truer words were never spoken when it comes to partnerships. Now, some do work out and my hat is off to those who do, you have my respect and admiration but most don't and you have to ask yourself if it is worth the chance. I personally don't want to do 90% of the work and get only 1/2 the profit. Best wishes and good luck either way.
PatWibble likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to customtshirts4u For This Useful Post:
sbdezign (January 24th, 2017)
Old January 24th, 2017 Jan 24, 2017 4:06:43 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by customtshirts4u
Can't stress this enough. Do it by yourself and only for yourself. The amount of "partnerships" that become nightmares is staggering. You have to be accommodating to all their moods and egos. Their financial problems become your problems. Their spouses and their meddling suggestions will suck the life out of you and you will no longer love what you do and that $20,000.00 will taste like s**t once it all falls apart. And when it does they will ruin your reputation just to satisfy their taste for revenge because no matter who's fault it was that caused the partnership to not work out, they will always blame it on you. Their friends and family will feel that they are entitled to discounts because your "partner " is half owner. Be smart and live happy, there is an old latin proverb that states " He who owns a business either works it or sells it" Truer words were never spoken when it comes to partnerships. Now, some do work out and my hat is off to those who do, you have my respect and admiration but most don't and you have to ask yourself if it is worth the chance. I personally don't want to do 90% of the work and get only 1/2 the profit. Best wishes and good luck either way.

Greatly appreciated. That's my concern financial backing is great, but then what. It's just another business under your belt and it's what I plan to live off.

This is a discussion about $20,000 start up screen print shop that was posted in the General T-Shirt Selling Discussion section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in