T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > General T-Shirt Selling Discussion

General T-Shirt Selling Category Sponsor

This is the catchall topic for the t-shirt selling discussion. Not sure where to post your question about t-shirt selling? Start here.

Finding a Sales Rep?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old October 6th, 2006 Oct 6, 2006 11:03:52 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Heather
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Finding a Sales Rep?

We're interested in finding a commission only sales rep. Anyone else do this? Any suggestions? Where to find one? Is it worth it? We're screen printers, not retailers.

Thanks for any advice in this area.

Heather

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 6th, 2006 Oct 6, 2006 11:32:04 AM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jasonda

Default Re: Finding a Sales Rep?

Hi Heather,

This thread might help you out:

https://www.t-shirtforums.com/showthread.php?t=5072

Old October 6th, 2006 Oct 6, 2006 1:46:27 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,023 Times in 3,228 Posts

You could try posting an ad in your local classifieds, local college papers, etc.

Even doing an online job posting (like in craigslist/hotjobs) might be worth it.

Are you looking for someone local to help you drum up local business, or someone anywhere?

Old October 6th, 2006 Oct 6, 2006 1:54:18 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Scott

Heather,

Sales reps are a great idea. Problem is you have to spend alot of time training and they have a very high turnover.

Problems I've run into with reps. You post a job listing in local papers and what have you. Then you have people come to your building thinking they can make a pocket full of cash. But in the harsh reality of sales is, you don't make money if you don't sell. I even offer my reps 20% of profits and still it's not enough to make them work at it. Alot of times you get a younger crowed that's drawn to sales and it's not a career to them, it's more of this quick money scheme that they feel they can beat.

When looking for a sales rep, what I found that works well is. Hire someone who almost has A.D.D or talks really fast. These people usually have a clear understanding of what the goal of sales is and they tend to do all in their power to get there. I don't know what it is, but that profile tends to be the best sales rep. Secondly hire someone who has another job and wants to do sales on the side. Because after all, you aren't paying them anything unless they make a sale and if they don't have a second job, the first few weeks for them is gonna be really rough. Then they will probably quit.

What I do is i'll interview someone and set up a 3 week training period. Where they come in at say 6 pm and stay for about 2 hours, 3 times a week. First week I teach them screenprinting/Inks/apparel/proper artwork. Second week teach them correct customer service and how you want them to present your company. Also teach them how to complete a sale. 3rd week show them the tools they need to find potential clients and teach them how to use the tools.

Then you send them off on their own. Now you have a sales rep who knows they are working on their own free time. Secondly they already have a job so don't depend on the sales position to keep them afloat. Also you personally know you don't have some fool representing your company. And they complete the sale completely before you get it, so you aren't spending your time patching up details or getting misinformed information for a potential client. Any job that you get from your sales rep should be fully ready to screenprint with no hassles. This includes payments upfront, shirts in your warehouse, signed proof approvals, and most of all a client who knows what and when they are getting their product. (Which is a happy client)

Before all of this happens though, make your sales rep sign an agreement to your terms.

Hope this helps

Scott Roon

Last edited by Rodney; October 6th, 2006 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: removed url and extra business info - feel free to add your URL to your forum signature

Old October 6th, 2006 Oct 6, 2006 1:58:07 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Very helpful.

Is it necessary to provide the salesperson with print collateral, samples, etc.

Old October 6th, 2006 Oct 6, 2006 2:00:52 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney
Are you looking for someone local to help you drum up local business, or someone anywhere?
Either local or anywhere. We want to focus on local more than online but so far almost all of our business has come from online. Like I posted somewhere else, we both work at home and don't get out into the community alot, therefore we think we might be able to bring in more business if we just hire someone to do it.

Giving up 20% of something is better than having 100% of nothing. If you know what I mean

Old October 6th, 2006 Oct 6, 2006 2:05:32 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Scott

No it's not, but it's also not a bad idea to give them, 1 100% Cotton Gildan, 1 50/50 Gildan, 1 Hanes beefy T, and 1 American apparel. You can also get a color chart from your wholesaler on each brand. Other then that, if the client would like to see print quality, the rep can pick up a shirt from the shop and bring it to them. But a client shouldn't question your quality if your sales rep is portraying your company correctly. Questions of quality should never come up. It should be assumed that you provide the best quality.

Old October 6th, 2006 Oct 6, 2006 3:09:41 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,023 Times in 3,228 Posts

Quote:
But a client shouldn't question your quality if your sales rep is portraying your company correctly. Questions of quality should never come up. It should be assumed that you provide the best quality.
However, there are times when a customer has had bad experience with a past printer (or many other reasons), when they will want to question the quality of your work. It is no reflection on anything you've done, just something the customer wants to feel better about.

Old October 6th, 2006 Oct 6, 2006 11:51:22 PM -   #9 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Solmu's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lewis
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Or, like me, they're just paranoid

It's not in my nature to trust sales people.

This is a discussion about Finding a Sales Rep? that was posted in the General T-Shirt Selling Discussion section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in