T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > General T-Shirt Selling Discussion

General T-Shirt Selling Category Sponsor

This is the catchall topic for the t-shirt selling discussion. Not sure where to post your question about t-shirt selling? Start here.

Spreadshirt vs Local printers. Help!

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old February 8th, 2015 Feb 8, 2015 5:26:17 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Spreadshirt vs Local printers. Help!

I'm new at all of this, so I could use some opinions!!

I like the idea of using Spreadshirt because it seems like it would be more convenient, but on the other hand more expensive. Since the site keeps a percentage of the sales, I would have to mark up my shirts more, and I don't want people paying $25+ for a tshirt. That seems like a bit much? However, I do love all the options I would have with them, like sweatpants, hoodies, yoga pants, and phone cases, as well as a variety of brands to choose from. I feel like with a local printer I may not have all those options, but on the other hand may be cheaper?

Also, does anyone know if spreadshirt ships the item directly to the buyer when they purchase from me, or do they send me the item when someone buys it, for me to be able to customize the packaging and then send it out to my customer?? I've read their terms but it doesn't seem too clear for me as far as shipment goes, and I really want to be in control of the packaging so it can be personalized. Sorry I'm a little clueless. ANY help is appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2015 Feb 8, 2015 10:01:44 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Default Re: Spreadshirt vs Local printers. Help!

I'm not sure yet. I haven't started this up yet I'm still trying to plan everything out. Bulk but not in big numbers? I'm honestly not sure how to know how many to get printed

Old February 9th, 2015 Feb 9, 2015 9:28:19 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Dale

$20-$25 a shirt is pretty typical for a t-shirt anywhere you go. I haven't used spread shirt but from looking at their site, it shows that you upload your design and they take care of fulfillment and you get $1.50-$2 each unless you raise your commission. I don't know how much printing and fulfillment costs you on their site but remember that they have a huge amount of expense involved. A lot of designers feel like the art should hold the most value but if you consider the costs beyond the design, think about these costs and remember that you will have these costs whether you do it yourself or list it there.

Web hosting
Site design
SSL certificates
CC processing
Printing
Cost of shirt
Warehousing the shirt stock
Packing
The box
Labeling
Shipping
And more.

If you decide to print your own, you should be able to get them printed in the neighborhood of around $6 each but that means that if you have them printed and they don't sell, you have a large inventory of shirt to use as rags and hand towels.

The Following User Says Thank You to dale911 For This Useful Post:
gnicole (February 15th, 2015)

Old February 9th, 2015 Feb 9, 2015 9:46:10 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Thanked 2,553 Times in 2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnicole
I'm new at all of this, so I could use some opinions!!

I like the idea of using Spreadshirt because it seems like it would be more convenient, but on the other hand more expensive. Since the site keeps a percentage of the sales, I would have to mark up my shirts more, and I don't want people paying $25+ for a tshirt. That seems like a bit much? However, I do love all the options I would have with them, like sweatpants, hoodies, yoga pants, and phone cases, as well as a variety of brands to choose from. I feel like with a local printer I may not have all those options, but on the other hand may be cheaper?

Also, does anyone know if spreadshirt ships the item directly to the buyer when they purchase from me, or do they send me the item when someone buys it, for me to be able to customize the packaging and then send it out to my customer?? I've read their terms but it doesn't seem too clear for me as far as shipment goes, and I really want to be in control of the packaging so it can be personalized. Sorry I'm a little clueless. ANY help is appreciated!!
Their costs seems like a lot, but they are doing ALL the work. Then they ship directly to the purchaser, not to you. You would want that anyway otherwise your markup would all go to postage.

Spreadshirt is great for the one-off's. A printer is great if you know which of your designs are bigger sellers and you can order in volume.

Spreadshirt prints using two methods; cut vinyl for one or two colors jobs, and direct to garment for unlimited color jobs. If you want to control and ship your garments yourself, find a local printer who can do whatever method you're using at Spreadshirt. They are out there.

Tell us what city you're in and maybe we can help.

The Following User Says Thank You to splathead For This Useful Post:
gnicole (February 15th, 2015)
Old February 15th, 2015 Feb 15, 2015 2:29:30 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thank yall so much!
The only reason I was considering spreadshirt is because of all the clothing options they have and it would provide me with an online shop.

I'm from Memphis TN and theres a print shop I found called Summit print co., I was thinking about getting a quote from them. But if you know of any good ones in my area, any ideas would be appreciated.

This is a discussion about Spreadshirt vs Local printers. Help! that was posted in the General T-Shirt Selling Discussion section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in