T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > General T-Shirt Selling Discussion

General T-Shirt Selling Category Sponsor

This is the catchall topic for the t-shirt selling discussion. Not sure where to post your question about t-shirt selling? Start here.

Spreadshirt alternative for thinner graphics

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old December 30th, 2014 Dec 30, 2014 12:41:54 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Spreadshirt alternative for thinner graphics

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and returning to t-shirt design after a long break. Rather than print my own shirts or have them professionally printed and hold my own stock, I would like to use a service like Spreadshirt to print and sell my designs. I'm a web developer so may eventually integrate their API rather than use their shop in an iframe.

However, spreadshirt has its limitations and one of them is that they say they cannot print lines less than 1.5 mm thick. I know its *possible* to print thinner lines as I have done it before with ascii art and a professional print company.

So my question is does anyone know of a service similar to Spreadshirt which will let me upload and sell designs which include thinner graphic elements?

I would also be interested to hear from anyone who cares to speculate about *why* spreadshirt imposes this limit and whether it relates to a particular printing method.

I am based in the UK.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 30th, 2014 Dec 30, 2014 2:32:32 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Default Re: Spreadshirt alternative for thinner graphics

I asked spreadshirt about this and they said:

Quote:
I'm afraid there is no way around. Although the the process of cutting out the design is carried out by computers, afterwards all redundant parts of the foil are removed by hand. If parts of the design are too small, they, too, peel away from the foil or get ripped off. Also, if parts of the design are smaller than 1.5 mm there is not enough glue available and this part of the foil does not stick to the garment.

Alternatively you can of course use a raster image. Pixel graphics for digital printing should meet the following criteria:
- Format: .png, alternatives: .jpg oder .gif
- Size: max. 4000 x 4000 Pixel
- Resolution: 200dpi / coffee mugs, bottles, covers and buttons: 400dpi
- Colour mode: RGB

Old December 30th, 2014 Dec 30, 2014 6:53:28 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Thanked 2,557 Times in 2,274 Posts

Basic translation; if you're using their cut vinyl method, lines can't be too thin. This is true too, btw, out in the real world for those of us who use vinyl.

So instead, use their direct-to-garment inkjet printing method (they call it digital printing) and you're good to go.

Digital printing fades over time. Vinyl does not.

Last edited by splathead; December 31st, 2014 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: corrected thick to thin.

Old December 30th, 2014 Dec 30, 2014 10:28:29 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

thanks for the reply. I think that means that if I create a raster image with a transparent background then I should be able to get the result I want. I guess I'll need to try one of both methods and have them printed to see what the results look like.

I had the attached image printed on a shirt once (without the background). It would have been in 2004. Is that likely to have been digital printing? I seem to remember the printer talking about stencils of some kind :-/ It came out really well, much to the printer's surprise...
Attached Thumbnails
Spreadshirt alternative for thinner graphics-asciitone.jpg  

This is a discussion about Spreadshirt alternative for thinner graphics that was posted in the General T-Shirt Selling Discussion section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in