T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > General T-Shirt Selling Discussion

General T-Shirt Selling Category Sponsor

This is the catchall topic for the t-shirt selling discussion. Not sure where to post your question about t-shirt selling? Start here.

I found some similar t shirt designs

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AndrewsSt

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old December 25th, 2014 Dec 25, 2014 8:51:31 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default I found some similar t shirt designs

Hi All,

I have a few new original designs that involve the outline of a certain US state and a word that is similar to the name of the same state. After looking into trademark and copyright issues, I decided to search the market to see it there was already anything similar out there. I did find a few similar designs that use a state outline and the same word but the designs are not the same, just similar. I plan on trademarking my brand and copyrighting my designs but I would like to start selling in the meantime knowing how long it can take for a trademark to go through. Any advice on this predicament would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 26th, 2014 Dec 26, 2014 5:07:13 AM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

kimura-mma's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Tim
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Thanked 1,827 Times in 1,507 Posts

Default Re: I found some similar t shirt designs

What predicament are you in?

If your design is different than the existing designs, there are no copyright issues. Unless you found an existing trademark that is similar to the brand name you want to use, there is nothing stopping you from getting started.

Your biggest focus right now should be marketing strategy. Since there are similar designs in the market, how are you going to stand out and win over the market share?

Old December 26th, 2014 Dec 26, 2014 3:51:23 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Steve
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default Re: I found some similar t shirt designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blainedawson
Hi All,

I have a few new original designs that involve the outline of a certain US state and a word that is similar to the name of the same state. After looking into trademark and copyright issues, I decided to search the market to see it there was already anything similar out there. I did find a few similar designs that use a state outline and the same word but the designs are not the same, just similar. I plan on trademarking my brand and copyrighting my designs but I would like to start selling in the meantime knowing how long it can take for a trademark to go through. Any advice on this predicament would be greatly appreciated.
The trademark process generally takes from 3 to 6 months. It is easier to get the trademark if you sell something with the logo first. That will be required to finalize the trademark anyway.

You can apply for the trademark prior to selling, but it is an extra step. I have done trademarks both ways and it is easier to sell first.

When you start selling you can use the "TM" designation. DO NOT used the registered trademark symbol until your trademark is approved and assigned a number. If you use "TM" you will have most of the same protections that you do when you register a trademark anyway so just use it and then change it to the registered trademark once the trademark is approved.

I am telling you this from personal experience.

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney (but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night )
javajoe likes this.

This is a discussion about I found some similar t shirt designs that was posted in the General T-Shirt Selling Discussion section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in